Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks guys. I will look into those options

Shu curious to see/hear the video from the flip

01-09-2011, 08:33 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MrPetkus Quote
IMHO, recorders with killer on-board mics are the Olympus LS-11 and Sony D50 followed by the Zoom H4n.
Thanks for the tip on the H4n. Do you find that audio doesn't record as fast as video? There's a review on amazon that says it records 1% slower.

Hope falconeye can produce your video problems. Probably should be reported to Pentax if you haven't already..
01-10-2011, 12:07 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery | Albums
here it the link to the you tube video I edited.
There is also a video I shot that night with these guys doing the song more than a name on a wall, which is fantastic. I just shot some video of our band playing last night with a sony version of a flip. i'm pretty impressed so far. I know this is a little OT, but I do wish I had someone shooting with a K-5 along with the other sources. I've fooled around with my friends KX for video and it seems to me audio should be the least of anyones worries.
I will say having salvaged some really poor audio recordings from my band in the past, worry about the video. audio processing software is amazing.
01-10-2011, 12:27 AM   #19

hate to reply to my own post, but wanted to add the video(and audio) I previously posted was shot with a flip video recorder and then the audio processed with sony acid. Mods I think this should be discussed in the video section, but it's here for now. I have to say, the audio processing was easier for me (and my computer), by far, than the video. So any worries about the K-5's audio should be minimal. Hand held field recorders are getting very cheap these days and it is pretty easy to synch the audio to a video. I wish I had had 2 K-5's and a hand held panny for that concert instead of the flip. come on powerball. BTW anybody who has suggestions on how to better post the video please help. I still have the original files.

Shu

01-10-2011, 11:06 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Thanks for the tip on the H4n. Do you find that audio doesn't record as fast as video? There's a review on amazon that says it records 1% slower.
This is true - once your audio and video starting point is in sync, it will begin to drift out of sync after around 4 minutes. Resolution is to bring video down to 99% of speed or increase audio to 101%.

QuoteQuote:
Hope falconeye can produce your video problems. Probably should be reported to Pentax if you haven't already..
Why, does falconeye work for Pentax? Any one should be able to reproduce the video problem if they own a lens with an aperture ring that is not set to auto - you'll have exposure jumps all over the place. I guess I should report this to Pentax - after lunch...
01-10-2011, 11:08 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No offense Shuie, but syncing video with your Flip is not what I had in mind when I started this thread.
01-10-2011, 11:34 AM   #22

none taken, and I realize I was drifting OT. I don't have a K-5 (still shoot a k-10), but would like to get one and video is an important feature for me. I hope some of the issues are resolved before I get one. I am not concerned with the audio issues, more concerned with the lack of manual controls. I have fooled with video on a KX with somewhat mixed results. I'm sure it just takes more practice.

01-10-2011, 12:36 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm a long-time Pentax user and at the risk of offending fanboys, if video capabilities are important to you, then I wouldn't get a K5. It's excellent for photography but not a well-rounded machine for both. If you want strong assets in both video-photog get the Panasonic GH-2 or Sony A55 (or any of their forth-coming DSLRs). If you want a Pro body for <$2k get a Canon 7D. And for >$2k, the Canon 5DMK2 will gain you access to a world of video resources.

That's not to say Pentax can't provide a more useful video platform. In fact, so much could be accomplished merely in firmware. But my personal feeling is that Pentax doesn't have the commitment or resources (regardless of the sheer magnitude of Hoya) to respond to feature requests in this domain with the speed of their competitors.

QuoteOriginally posted by shuie Quote
none taken, and I realize I was drifting OT. I don't have a K-5 (still shoot a k-10), but would like to get one and video is an important feature for me. I hope some of the issues are resolved before I get one. I am not concerned with the audio issues, more concerned with the lack of manual controls. I have fooled with video on a KX with somewhat mixed results. I'm sure it just takes more practice.
01-10-2011, 12:51 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
FWIW, I reported the video issue to Pentax.
01-10-2011, 01:53 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
FWIW, I reported the video issue to Pentax.
Thanks. I didn't mean to say FalconEye works for Pentax, but the more that report the issue, the more likely it'll get fixed (aka, the "squeaky wheel theory" :-)

Bummer about the zoom...you'd think they would have tested something like that. Sounds like speeding up audio isn't a big deal though.
01-10-2011, 02:27 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sounds like you're eyeing the Zoom or have it already. The Zoom has gotten a boat-load of buzz and is the darling child of videophiles everywhere. But if you don't have the Zoom and don't need the XLR inputs or 4-tracks, there are much better sounding digital audio recorders out there. The Sony PCM-M10 is fantastic (and ~$230 in the US)- I used one the other day and want one. The Roland R-05 is nice, too.

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Thanks. I didn't mean to say FalconEye works for Pentax, but the more that report the issue, the more likely it'll get fixed (aka, the "squeaky wheel theory" :-)

Bummer about the zoom...you'd think they would have tested something like that. Sounds like speeding up audio isn't a big deal though.
01-10-2011, 03:41 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Now I haven't tried to much video but the few I have done have been good. No problem with exposure flashing. I have only tried it with the K50/1.2, and it's nice and smooth. Changing aperture during recording caused an exposure error for a short while but then it was stable again. Overall I'm happy.
01-10-2011, 04:26 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Does it record 32kHz at 12 or 16-bit? I'd think 32kHz at 16-bit is plenty good for recording voice. Recording high-quality music with this camera is the wrong tool for the job anyway even if it had 44.1 or 48kHz. And let's not forget that any high-quality sound gets compressed when put on hosting sites like YouTube.

Last edited by tuco; 01-10-2011 at 04:33 PM.
01-10-2011, 06:32 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
16-bit. No one in their right mind would use the onboard mics to record high-quality sound.

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Does it record 32kHz at 12 or 16-bit? I'd think 32kHz at 16-bit is plenty good for recording voice. Recording high-quality music with this camera is the wrong tool for the job anyway even if it had 44.1 or 48kHz. And let's not forget that any high-quality sound gets compressed when put on hosting sites like YouTube.
01-10-2011, 07:20 PM   #30
Pentaxian

16-bit. No one in their right mind would use the onboard mics to record high-quality sound.
So there is really no problem with the K-5 sound then. Plenty good to hear people talking, wind blowing in mic, cars honking their horn, etc. And when you want high-quality sound, you connect the camera to a mixer or use a field recorder that can accept multiple mic input, right?