Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2011, 01:21 AM   #31

Photos: Gallery
Totally agree

Totally agree with you and am bewildered as you are.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
If you want to advertise and sell in America, it is perhaps the most welcome place in the entire world at accepting your cash.

It does appear, from here, that Pentax is better recognized, accepted, and represented in other countries, and not being a long time camera enthusiast, I have no background to speculate why that is.
Best Regards

01-10-2011, 12:37 AM   #32
Inactive Account

I haven't read this post thru yet. But if Pentax is having to replace over 60% of all shipments then it doesn't matter how many they sell. They are loosing money big time. I feel sorry for the people who did not know about the stains. I bet there is not a notice going out to all who bought Pentax k-5's from Pentax? If it were a car it would be a free fix along with a list and flyers going out to all owners of thet model.
01-10-2011, 01:38 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by garyk Quote
I haven't read this post thru yet. But if Pentax is having to replace over 60% of all shipments then it doesn't matter how many they sell. They are loosing money big time. I feel sorry for the people who did not know about the stains. I bet there is not a notice going out to all who bought Pentax k-5's from Pentax? If it were a car it would be a free fix along with a list and flyers going out to all owners of thet model.
garyk,
in all politeness, what is your source for the 60% number?

If you're referring to a Pentaxforums poll, as much as i like polls, that is not credible information in judging how many camera returns have occurred on the K5. It just isn't and any professional statistician wouldn't waste his time trying to evaluate such a poll.
01-10-2011, 03:05 AM   #34
Inactive Account

I do not mean to throw a wrench into this topic but I feel like many people might have also returned the K-5 because of the Stain issue, is this being calculated into sales? I mean no harm by this, just curious, I returned my K-5, thats why I ask.

01-10-2011, 06:59 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Charles Quote
I checked the sales rank (in electronics) of the K-5, the D7000, and the 7D on the US Amazon website. I had expected the ranks of the cameras to be close, but they are not.
K-5 body - #4,914
K-5 with 18-55 - #17,649

D7000 body - #696
D7000 with 18-105 - #303

Canon 7D body - #209
These figures tell me that the K-5 is not selling nearly as well as its competition in the US. Of course, K-5 sales outside the US may be better.

Inadequate sales could affect Hoya's willingness to keep funding Pentax DSLR development. This is just speculation, because I don't know the actual sales figures and whether they are meeting Pentax's targets.

I am selling stuff and putting money aside to buy a new DSLR in the spring, and the K-5 is at the top of my list. The apparent poor sales of the camera concern me. They certainly have nothing to do with the quality of the camera, but they may have other implications.

I'd appreciate comments and perspective.

Jeff
Do some research into market share and you will have your answer as to why Pentax doesn't sell as many cameras as Canon or Nikon.
01-10-2011, 07:29 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We, meaning those that live here and at other camera forums, are in an entirely different world that the average person on the street. We think and live cameras and have all sorts of resources to guide us in our decisions.
In the Metroplex I live in/near there are is estimated population of six million. If I stopped a person on the street and asked them to spend a week driving the Metroplex, viewing Billboards, reading Print Material, visiting Retail and Camera stores and then come back and tell me what they saw "Brand Wise"........Pentax would never cross their lips.

This can be repeated all across America, and it would be near impossible to conclude that Pentax is serious about selling their products here. It is ashamed, the several people I have convinced to buy Pentax are very well pleased and have in turn sold a few others on the Pentax system....but the numbers are tiny.

This has not deterred my joy with my current K20D or with my future K5....when they get it right.....but it does frustrate me that I can't find any place among Six Million people where I can actually handle Pentax products. If there is a solution to this, Pentax hasn't seen it or can't afford it....or is just not that interested in the American Market. They may be smarter than I am, but this is a huge Market to leave unharvested?
Best Regards!
01-10-2011, 07:38 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I suppose Pentax leaves the marketing job to us I 'sold' 7 cameras in December, including a stained K-5...
Some marketing presence and a slightly better QC could help Pentax make a significant leap in market share, IMO. Because they have the fundamentals: i.e., some very good optics at decent prices and very good cameras with lots of 'differential' appeal (weather sealing, in-body stabilization, etc.) But we are scratching our heads and preaching to one another. So we can only suppose they are smarter than us...

Last edited by causey; 01-10-2011 at 08:12 AM.
01-10-2011, 08:28 AM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
We, meaning those that live here and at other camera forums, are in an entirely different world that the average person on the street. We think and live cameras and have all sorts of resources to guide us in our decisions.
In the Metroplex I live in/near there are is estimated population of six million. If I stopped a person on the street and asked them to spend a week driving the Metroplex, viewing Billboards, reading Print Material, visiting Retail and Camera stores and then come back and tell me what they saw "Brand Wise"........Pentax would never cross their lips.

This can be repeated all across America, and it would be near impossible to conclude that Pentax is serious about selling their products here. It is ashamed, the several people I have convinced to buy Pentax are very well pleased and have in turn sold a few others on the Pentax system....but the numbers are tiny.

This has not deterred my joy with my current K20D or with my future K5....when they get it right.....but it does frustrate me that I can't find any place among Six Million people where I can actually handle Pentax products. If there is a solution to this, Pentax hasn't seen it or can't afford it....or is just not that interested in the American Market. They may be smarter than I am, but this is a huge Market to leave unharvested?
Best Regards!
This.

01-10-2011, 11:09 AM   #39
Pentaxian

There are some advantages for us to Pentax being a smaller party and not so advertising-driven: they may not be communicating to the mass-market, but they're also not *quite so beholden to* playing to the common denominators of the mass-marketing, either. Marketing is often about manufacturing demand for what you want to make, more than making what people might want, and that can cut both ways.

Pentax has some great products coming out, and apart from really needing to watch the QC when they bring out top-of-the-line products (Like with the 16-50 QC fiasco, and of course this sensors thing: all it takes is one bit of carelessness or even a bit of sabotage to remove a lot of the thunder: you bet some other brands' viral marketers will be claiming 'More than half of those have stained sensors' for a long while to come. ) But they're hitting their niche, here, and all, and putting out just the stuff for a lot of people.

(Does make me wonder how many K-5s are actually turning up with the problem, and if it might mean a refurb K-5 for *me* sometime. )
01-10-2011, 11:37 AM   #40

Amazon uk rankings - in*Electronics > Photography > Digital Cameras > Digital SLRs

18-55 kit. #21
the two lens kit. #31

G

Last edited by garethwebber; 01-10-2011 at 11:45 AM.
01-10-2011, 09:15 PM   #41
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
(Does make me wonder how many K-5s are actually turning up with the problem, and if it might mean a refurb K-5 for *me* sometime. )
Probably. You know they aren't going to scrap them.

01-11-2011, 04:28 AM   #42

I am not too worried about their sales figures, as if I want a Pentax (and I usually do) I will order from or go where sells them ! I changed to a Panasonic Lumix Point & Shoot as although Pentax recently brought out a couple new P/S models, they are still lagging where certain features are concerned, such as the ability to zoom during recording and bigger zoom ranges. However, I stick to Pentax SLRS.
I think the problem with their sales lies in the distribution network. Usually, you still have to go to a dedicated camera to find Pentax SLRs, whereas Nikon and Canon (budget) SLRS can be found at electronics superstores like Best Buy, places where the average amateur user looking to upgrade to an SLR might shop. Some camera stores even have stopped supporting Pentax favouring the known brands. So it is really a case of making the brand more accessible to the average consumer through a broader supply of consumer retailers if they want to see real growth.
01-11-2011, 04:40 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PTXAV8R Quote
I am not too worried about their sales figures, as if I want a Pentax (and I usually do) I will order from or go where sells them ! I changed to a Panasonic Lumix Point & Shoot as although Pentax recently brought out a couple new P/S models, they are still lagging where certain features are concerned, such as the ability to zoom during recording and bigger zoom ranges. However, I stick to Pentax SLRS.
I think the problem with their sales lies in the distribution network. Usually, you still have to go to a dedicated camera to find Pentax SLRs, whereas Nikon and Canon (budget) SLRS can be found at electronics superstores like Best Buy, places where the average amateur user looking to upgrade to an SLR might shop. Some camera stores even have stopped supporting Pentax favouring the known brands. So it is really a case of making the brand more accessible to the average consumer through a broader supply of consumer retailers if they want to see real growth.
It is true that lower end cameras (like the T2i and D7000 and below) are available to look at in big box stores, but anything above that, like the D700, 7D, etc is not available in most stores for easy handling. Neither are high end Nikon/Canon lenses sitting on a shelf in Best Buy for you to handle.

It certainly makes sense for Pentax to get the kr and kx into stores, but eventually, a lot of professional and upper end hobby photographers end up ordering on line, unless they are lucky enough to have a local dedicated camera store.
01-11-2011, 05:14 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Here is my perspective. I don't worry about it. I don't hold stock in the company other than owning product and as long as I can take photos with the cameras and lenses, that's really all I care about. Pentax has been one foot in the canyon with Canikon pushing them over the edge for as long as I've been using Pentax (and probably long before that). If someone believes they have something to lose investing in a K mount system because Pentax is Finished, they should go talk to all the Canon EOS mount dSLR people with a bag full of FD mount lenses.

This I can relate to. I shot Canon for many years. When they changed the bayonet mount for autofocus (making all my FD lenses obsolete) I felt they disregarded me as a customer. I played around with Nikon because of their so-called backward compatibility which isn't as compatible as they would have you believe.
I took the plunge a couple of years ago and ordered a K10d site unseen (there's no place anywhere near here I could hold one). I love the camera, the old glass, and the community of people which I never found with the Canikers.
As long as Hoya can pull a profit from the Pentax line I'm not worried about it. Then again, I can't ever see the brand ever disappearing either.
01-11-2011, 06:10 PM   #45
Pentaxian

Stafan said, (CR Kennedy do what I think is a decent job her with their full-page ads in Australia).
Hey Stefan, where are the full page adverts? I haven't see one.
In fact, in scanning through every edition of Australian Photography "Australia's Top selling photographic magazine' (their claim, not mine) I cannot see one mention of Pentax in any advert except DCW who list all their stocked brands. And there are no reviews either.

(Years ago, I got into digital photography only because I happened to see Ted's advertising the *ist DS for less than AU$1000 - the first time I had seen any dSLR for anywhere near that money. - It was a half page ad in the Age green guide - but it was Ted's advertising - not Pentax or Kennedy)

Incidentally, I have recently sparred with the administrator of Cnet over her tendency (obsession?) to recommended Canikon to just about everyone with a question. She maintains (rightly) that she can't recommend anything Cnet hasn't tested, and Pentax won't supply a camera for testing. I think Pentax/Kennedy could do much better.

I have recently been in two Camera House franchises which don't even stock the K5 because they can't move them! They were both happy to order one for me! I won't lay all the blame at Pentax marketing for this, but they must bear some of it.