Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2011, 03:25 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Yes, it might be a stain, but it might just be dust.
It’s one spot only, not the typical chain of stains, and the photos are too grainy to judge.
At the moment the camera is opened to put on a lens some dust may get in there. And a rocket blower does not "remove any possible dust". One might get lucky, but by blowing, more dust might get sucked in there or old dust shifted around and ending up on the censor.
I think one should at least take the time to do some proper shots (doesn’t take that much time).

Manually set ISO 100. Also, I think it’s better to manually set WB to indoor light (get a more grey/white shot instead of yellow). Just point at a well lit, preferably white surface (a sheet of paper on the floor, and move in so the sheet covers the frame). Don’t need a tripod or anything as it doesn’t matter if it takes 3 seconds and the camera is shaking - we’re not after a sharp photo of a wall.

Set focus to manual, and take one shot at infinity and one at closest focus. In the shots bellow it’s easy to see how the stains look different at infinite and closest focus. At infinite the large stains shows as black spots with a grey halo around, while the small stains shows up as blury dots. At close focus the large stains shows as large black dots with a dim light halo around them, while the small stains now shows up as small black stains with a grey halo.

F22 - infinite focus at top, closest focus at bottom:

01-10-2011, 05:34 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mortox Quote
i'm not going to waste any more time. it obviously shouldn't be there so i am sending it back. i was hoping for 3rd times the charm.
It takes less than 5 seconds to push the ISO button and switch to ISO 100. It's not that difficult. There's not really anything we, or you, can tell from those photos because it's all covered in grain.

It can easily just be dust, and if you don't take just 30 seconds to check it properly, it is quite possible you are wasting a lot of your, and Pentax's, time and money sending it back.

Last edited by Cannikin; 01-10-2011 at 07:02 AM.
01-10-2011, 10:42 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Enemmän tippajono kun pöly, eli veikkaan tahroja.
01-10-2011, 12:30 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
It takes less than 5 seconds to push the ISO button and switch to ISO 100. It's not that difficult. There's not really anything we, or you, can tell from those photos because it's all covered in grain.

It can easily just be dust, and if you don't take just 30 seconds to check it properly, it is quite possible you are wasting a lot of your, and Pentax's, time and money sending it back.
Sorry but whether it's a stain or a speck of something stuck to the sensor i am not paying $1500 for a NEW camera that i have to clean out of the box. I believe i can even see the tiny speck on the glass of the sensor but do not have any sensor cleaning swaps to clean to test.

I am sending it back, replacement on the way already.

01-15-2011, 12:19 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
After reading this thread, I thought crap, I better test our K5s.

I tried some test shots of a white sheet of paper with a bright light on it, out of focus so I dont see spots in the paper; and low and behold I had some nasty spots with my K-5. (My partner's K-5 was fine)

I stressed, because my K-5 is outside the 30 day amazon return at this point, as I preordered these right at the beginning.

So I busted out a new sensor swab and cleaned the sensor (twice). The spots are now gone, and I'm a happy camper.

In fairness, my K-5 has been all over the world this point, and I *suppose* it's possible these spots were collected along the way.

I humbly suggest if you're having this issue, to try a sensor cleaning before hitting the panic button and sending your K-5 in for repair.

Last edited by Clinton; 01-15-2011 at 05:51 PM.
01-15-2011, 01:22 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Sorry but whether it's a stain or a speck of something stuck to the sensor i am not paying $1500 for a NEW camera that i have to clean out of the box. I believe i can even see the tiny speck on the glass of the sensor but do not have any sensor cleaning swaps to clean to test.

I am sending it back, replacement on the way already.
Wow.

I don't want to start a war here but this sounds more like buyer's remorse.

You actually think you aren't going to introduce a single speck of dust the first time you take it out of the box (or mounting the first lens which could have dust on it!) which has dust on it or in it... its made of cardboard of which fibers are going to fall around everything you're doing. Not to mention the bags that hold the other parts aren't going to be in some clean room and there more than likely has had some dust settle on it before it was packed.

Oh well, either way good luck with number three or four... whatever you're on. I understand the 'want' for something perfect out of the box, but for your situation with a speck that is more likely dust and extremely fixable in post (I feel it probably wont show up in that many photos anyway) until you get a swab is a little over the top. But, trust me I do understand some of your frustration.
01-17-2011, 03:26 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kalison Quote
Wow.

I don't want to start a war here but this sounds more like buyer's remorse.

You actually think you aren't going to introduce a single speck of dust the first time you take it out of the box (or mounting the first lens which could have dust on it!) which has dust on it or in it... its made of cardboard of which fibers are going to fall around everything you're doing. Not to mention the bags that hold the other parts aren't going to be in some clean room and there more than likely has had some dust settle on it before it was packed.

Oh well, either way good luck with number three or four... whatever you're on. I understand the 'want' for something perfect out of the box, but for your situation with a speck that is more likely dust and extremely fixable in post (I feel it probably wont show up in that many photos anyway) until you get a swab is a little over the top. But, trust me I do understand some of your frustration.

It's stuck to the sensor, i'm 99% sure i didn't introduce it. Like i said, i am not paying $30 more for a cleaning kit to remove junk off a sensor coming from the manufacturer.

If you don't agree with that and accept subpar standards for what you pay for. that's you.

I will have my 4th replacement tomorrow. We'll see.

01-17-2011, 03:29 PM   #23
Inactive Account

Original Poster
And its not remorse (yet). I can easily keep my money and buy something else. I just expect something better out of Pentax which i'm confident i will get. IMO, it seems like they rushed the camera into the consumers hands, obviously. Very poor QC on this release.

So it's not remorse, it's patience and faith in Pentax( although it's wearing)
01-17-2011, 03:45 PM   #24
Veteran Member

It's stuck to the sensor, i'm 99% sure i didn't introduce it. Like i said, i am not paying $30 more for a cleaning kit to remove junk off a sensor coming from the manufacturer.

If you don't agree with that and accept subpar standards for what you pay for. that's you.

I will have my 4th replacement tomorrow. We'll see.
Its not about accepting anything subpar.

Bottom line you cannot even state you're 99% sure you didn't introduce it... because unless you're in a clean room like one at a microchip fab you aren't going to convince anyone of that figure. Any and all cameras will get dust on them the moment you take off the body cover and put on that lens. We do everything we can do minimize it, but don't be fooled into thinking anyone has a perfectly clean sensor, ever.

Regardless, you should already have/own cleaning materials for your cameras. "paying 30 bucks" should have already been an investment made in to standard maintenance items.

Like I said, I am not trying to get in a fight with you... I just find this a little over dramatic and I don't accept subpar either... but it needs to be a bit more out of control than what you're experiencing on this camera. I am OCD with my camera gear and to a fault a perfectionist, so I understand your frustration... but I do have my acceptable limits to certain things.

If its not remorse, then that's fine... I have been around a lot of people who spend a large chunk of change on something (whether or not they can afford it), and still feel guilty for spending so much money on it, trying to find any and all excuses to return the item. So that's why I thought it might be a reason.

Anyway, have a nice day and good luck with your fourth body. Let us know what you find when you get it. I do agree with you on the QC controls, as it seems its slipping a bit.
01-18-2011, 05:51 PM   #25
Inactive Account

Original Poster
4th time the charm

got the 4th one today - sensor looks clean!

woot!

SN 3982xxx
01-18-2011, 06:04 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

got the 4th one today - sensor looks clean!
At least until your first lens change
01-18-2011, 07:14 PM   #27

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
At least until your first lens change
The smugness of your reply appears as though you know it was Mortox who caused the dirty sensor. I don't agree that one lens change would cause a mark of dust (maybe, but not probably).
01-18-2011, 07:32 PM   #28
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Clinton - you sir are a duesch - thanks for commenting though.

OH and by the way, i did get some dust on my sensor- and guess what? i blew it away with my rocket blower - you can't due that with stains or stuff more "solid" that are stuck to the sensor.

01-18-2011, 11:47 PM   #29

I'm guessing this thread will be closed in 3,2,1....

FWIW, I also think the OP is being way over dramatic. There's a tiny speck on my new K-5 too, and I'm not returning it. It's not a stain, it's just dust.

Dust happens.
01-19-2011, 06:34 PM   #30
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Sigh - yes please close it. People assuming it's ust dust when its obviously more, no point. I don't want to argue. I just want have a camera that has a clean sensor from the mfr, which I finally have now. Others don't care but my problem is that if they don't care then why would the mfr care to maintain QC on release? "Let the consumers inspect and clean if needed" really?