Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2011, 05:11 AM   #151
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ah, ok, the way it was written I thought it was addressed to me... Well, they are Japanese, admitting failure is not something they do easily...

01-19-2011, 05:29 AM   #152
Veteran Member

they fail at admitting failure
01-19-2011, 05:36 AM   #153
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
they fail at admitting failure
It's pretty much standard throughout all of Japanese manufacturing, not just Pentax, not just electronics, but ALL Japanese manufacturing is like this. Witness Toyota. I've personally seen it in dealing with the multitude of vendors that go into making passenger rail cars. They'll work with you to fix the problem, but publically admit to it? Not so much.

NaCl(it's a cultural thing)H2O
01-19-2011, 06:03 AM   #154
Veteran Member

Yes but this must have a low risk of lives lost and lawsuits... geez.... I think I'll tip of dp review about the new stealth update

01-19-2011, 07:25 AM   #155
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
It's pretty much standard throughout all of Japanese manufacturing, not just Pentax, not just electronics, but ALL Japanese manufacturing is like this.
It's a weird asian thing. The term is "keep face" literally translated. If you admit to a mistake, you "lose face"....face is somewhat synonymous w/ "respect".
I have no problems admitting I'm wrong, but then again, I'm not a CEO or someone high up on the corporate ladder, so maybe that's the reason
01-19-2011, 07:43 AM   #156
Veteran Member

Not just Japanese. American companies do it all the time.

Every big business will do it. It is the best way to run a business. You do not get a prize for trashing your company (and putting say 1000 people out of a job) by being unnecessarily open and transparent.

The difference between an ethical business and one run by crooks is that the former will FIX the issue, and fix it fast.

Both will probably whitewash and stonewall but the crooks will never fix it and will just wait for the warranty to run out and only then they might possibly own up to it (like Sony with their famous Infolithium battery issues).

If Pentax are having problems with sensitivity of the AF sensors then I see two things: (1) there won't be a firmware fix, and (2) the problem will be very different in the Live View mode which uses a different AF method.
01-19-2011, 09:03 AM   #157
Veteran Member

Maybe relevant news at least something what gives some thoughts. Three weeks ago i have sent my k5 to uk service department (af tungsteen light and tilted flash malfunction) i just got an answer as iv contacted them regarding spot sensor iv noticed during postprocessing.....

Many thanks for the mail. I have forwarded this request to the technicians. Your camera is currently awaiting spares.

Spars? It does mean guys that the problem has something to do with hardware.... however it doesn't state whether they need spares for af issue or flash issue....

01-19-2011, 10:05 AM   #158
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by filorp Quote
Many thanks for the mail. I have forwarded this request to the technicians. Your camera is currently awaiting spares. Spars? It does mean guys that the problem has something to do with hardware.... however it doesn't state whether they need spares for af issue or flash issue...
THey could just have said that because they have not done anything on it yet
01-19-2011, 10:14 AM   #159
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

The backlog must be getting pretty high........if it is not a Firmware Fixable problem, I may be waiting a long time for a new K5?
01-19-2011, 11:37 AM   #160
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
THey could just have said that because they have not done anything on it yet
uh, im so naive they didnt becase they dont have a clue?
01-19-2011, 11:57 AM   #161
Forum Member

Losing face

"Never apologize. Never explain."

-- John F. Kennedy (also attributed to John Wayne). This contretemps isn't just Japanese.
01-19-2011, 12:38 PM   #162
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
not too sure, unless your are not limiting your DOF enough by focusing to far away from the subject,
I take it you have tested it within the recommended test parameters ?
Erm, I already posted it on page 2 of this thread.
But I guess this is yet another useless topic dominated by whining and irrelevant off-topic posts...
01-19-2011, 01:09 PM   #163
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by simico Quote
But I guess this is yet another useless topic dominated by whining and irrelevant off-topic posts...
I take it your K-5 doesn't have the lo light AF problem? Mine does, severely.
01-19-2011, 01:28 PM   #164
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by simico Quote
ah..now I remember

cant explain yours then mate..best keep it safe as it may be worth a bob or two...being one of the few properly focusing K5's
01-19-2011, 03:57 PM   #165

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
At f/11 in the studio, DOF should be masking the FF issue. Are you shooting beauty shots? I tend to only shoot full or 3/4 body shots w/ the 50 in studio...
Our schools studio is very small, 50mm in portrait "mode" is barely wide enough for full body shots. We were shooting quite basic head and 3/4 portraits /and everything between) for our first studio course.

Looked at our very first studio shots today from the beginning of Nov and no focus issues there.

We started film course today, I'm cheating the K-5 with my Pentax ME...
Closed Thread