Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2011, 09:48 PM   #271
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
...For a start, I already purchased 15W and 25W tungsten bulbs. And 40W bulbs in 5 different colors which is possible despite them being banned in the EU now.
Why are multicolored 40W bulbs banned in the EU!?

01-24-2011, 09:55 PM   #272
Veteran Member

Because they use a lot more energy that the fluoro compact
01-25-2011, 12:22 AM   #273
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Why are multicolored 40W bulbs banned in the EU!?

As far as I know they aren't, not yet (at least not the clear ones). They will be next year though. This year the 60W will be forbidden.
01-25-2011, 12:29 AM   #274
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Because they use a lot more energy that the fluoro compact
That's why they're such excellent heatballs

01-25-2011, 02:32 AM   #275

Original Poster
Originally posted by bjan can you tell me what PENTAX is going to do about the issue ? Are they neglegting the whole thing because they cannot do better wich is a possibility or are they really working on a solution and if so on what term can we expect that ? I can share this much: Pentax Europe (US probably as well, I just have no info) is highly aware of the issue and considers the problem to impact their sales. It is or was discussed with Tokyo at a management level. But Pentax Europe cannot tell me anything about the current state of things or if or when it will be fixed. From other sources I learned that Pentax Japan is indeed working on this. But these sources didn't reveal the nature of the problem either. I know from my K-7 shutter blur study that I can outperform the analytic capabilities (or time allowances) of the Pentax development lab in Tokyo. E.g., they didn't know if they solved the problem for the K-5 before I redid my test and told them ... Therefore, I wouldn't exclude the possibility that providing an exact test procedure and evidence if all or not all K-5 are affected could help them fix the issue. This is why I'll try to include simico's K-5 should I decide to look into this in more detail. For a start, I already purchased 15W and 25W tungsten bulbs. And 40W bulbs in 5 different colors which is possible despite them being banned in the EU now. __________________ Falk
Very interesting news Falk. Thanks for sharing. I will wait for an other 2 months before I decide to make the final shift to an other system. Although shooting with the CANON S95 only feels a bit like a handicap. As a pocketable back up very recommendable though.
01-25-2011, 03:18 AM   #276
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know... they didn't know if they solved the problem for the K-5 before I redid my test and told them...
Is it possible you are confusing their being just polite with confirmation?

Just curious... M
01-25-2011, 03:32 AM   #277

just read thru most of this thread and the previous thread....and *phew* i thought i was going crazy! i got the K-5 back in december....and well, when my tokina at-x 28-70mm f/2.6-2.8 or at-x 80-200mm f/2.8 is mounted...there's inaccurate autofocus. at first i thought it was simply a good sensor showing issues with my non-pentax and rather old zooms (they were bought circa 1999). but i have always had really nice and sharp pics when i shot with my old film bodies (PZ-1p, PZ-1, MX). of course i manually focused on those bodies (PZ bodies could do AF--and they were accurate, but really slow compared to other DSLR, like say a Nikon F100) anyways i went back to manual focusing at wide open aperture on my K-5. sure enough the pics were sharp!!! so that lead me to the fine adjustment option. i was still not satisfied.....and well, my craziness has lead me to you fine folks talking about this. well, i'm quite disappointed. not only is my K-5 afflicted with the 'string of pearls' stain, but now it's focus is just bad. what to do? it also does pretty bad focus in daylight too. for now, i've given a +2 adjustment to sharpness and have put -6 fine adjust; plus i tend to stop down to at least f/5.6 outdoors (but this is terrible, given i have f/2.8 zooms), and indoors, well, i'm going back to manually focusing (not too bad, but sheesh, i paid how much for this body??? ) a last resort is to use the unsharp mask in photoshop--if i am really keen on saving a pic--but that's such a chore if doing to many photos. i do hope that a firmware update is available to alleviate this problem of focusing. i know i will return my K-5 sometime soon to address the sensor issue. until then, i'll just learn to live with the issues, and hopefully work around them. oh btw, thanks to all for your input, i really appreciate this forum

cheers,

raph

01-25-2011, 03:44 AM   #278
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Raphtze, if your K5 is badly focusing in broad daylight, then you have another problem altogether...
Do you have other AF lens? Maybe both your Tokina need huge AF adjust. I understand you tried -6 as AF adjust, but why not lower still, if your pics are still unfocused?
01-25-2011, 03:59 AM   #279

raphtze, you can also use LiveView. It should be better than manual.
01-25-2011, 05:40 AM   #280
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Is it possible you are confusing their being just polite with confirmation?
Everything is possible. But I've actually worked with Pentax to resolve this issue and I've got feedback from an actual dev. dep. engineer. So, possible but unlikely.
01-25-2011, 08:15 AM   #281
Veteran Member

Falk,

Your working with Pentax on this benefits us all greatly and I thank you! Is there any idea of when they may have a solution?
01-25-2011, 08:16 AM   #282

Original Poster
From Falk`s responses it is clear to me that the AF issue is not af a simple kind to PENTAX.
In case the matter would be a small bug somewhere it would have been solved by now.
I even start to doom think that PENTAX is not able to do any better than they did with the components they used to put the K5 together and they built something beyond their know how. We have seen Canikon struggling with AF under bad light and they have been able to solve it not even to a 100% extend. I start to believe that whilst with Canikon the issue is diminished to a rare issue PENTAX still has a long road to go before they do control the AF issues to the same extend. I don`t want to put petrol on the fire with this posting but this is a very serious option I assume and I would have liked nothing more than being wrong ! It is just this bad bad feeling that grips more and more with every day that passes by. Maybe they should hire FALK for a few months and though he will be quit expensive I am sure we would all be willing to pay 5 Euro more for the camera in order to have it functioning like a Ferrari in witch you can use more than the first 3 gears only. ( I am aware of the fact that I will get criticized by this comparison again but I have got used to it so no problem with that)
01-25-2011, 08:55 AM   #283
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is more than a little disconcerting that Pentax is having to depend on its buyers to analyze and find corrections for a camera they built? I had a picture of a well equipped Lab and staff of Engineers that were fully capable of building a highly sophisticated electronic machine, and with all the necessary means to adjust and repair when necessary. Nothing against Falk, he is a very capable and valued Member here, but in my 30+ years of plumbing I can't ever recall having to ask a customer to diagnose a technical problem and recommend a solution for that problem...that is what they paid me for. Maybe they should hire Falc and let him solve this and keep us posted on his progress, something they are not doing....if they are even addressing it? Instead of a picture in my mind of a High-Tech Lab, I am beginning to see a guy with a broom in a back room saying......"I always wanted to work on a camera".

Secondly, I am betting this thread does not last the week.....any takers?
Regards!
01-25-2011, 09:25 AM   #284
Loyal Site Supporter

Considering that it's a merry-go-round going nowhere, it should have ended a couple of weeks ago.
01-25-2011, 09:29 AM   #285
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
It is more than a little disconcerting that Pentax is having to depend on its buyers to analyze and find corrections for a camera they built? "
Why not? Microsoft has been doing it for decades.

Tom G
Closed Thread