Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2011, 10:42 AM   #436

Rupert, I think your observations have been spot on (unlike the K5's low light focus, apparently) and I second them. I started shooting weddings this past year with the K20D, and my mouth was watering at the announcement of the K5. But the problems with the K5 disqualify it for wedding photography use, which is a shame, because on paper, it would be almost perfect. I hope they get fixed. I hope the K5 is not another Optio 750z.

02-08-2011, 10:53 AM   #437
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by skyoftexas Quote
Rupert, I think your observations have been spot on (unlike the K5's low light focus, apparently) and I second them. I started shooting weddings this past year with the K20D, and my mouth was watering at the announcement of the K5. But the problems with the K5 disqualify it for wedding photography use, which is a shame, because on paper, it would be almost perfect. I hope they get fixed. I hope the K5 is not another Optio 750z.
I agree that on paper my mouth watered also, and despite those that want to think contrary, I have hopes for the K5 to be the camera of my dreams, but do admit to those dreams dwindling for me. The word that keeps coming to mind is "disappointment". Like you, I am no Pentax basher, but I have expectations and so do many others. Will Pentax make it all right? That is the question of the moment. What I think one way or the other is not important, what eventually transpires is important.
Best Regards! What part of Texas?
02-08-2011, 01:05 PM   #438

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I've been beat up pretty good here
K-5 owner here....waiting on sending in my K-5 in early march (can't bear to part with it for the time being!) and i appreciate your concerns hopefully the K-5 issues (stain is resolved, FF maybe with firmware) will disappear soon......and you'll join us with a K-5 of your own

-raph
02-08-2011, 02:13 PM   #439
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Shot under tungsten light with my K20D and FA 43 Ltd handheld, F1.9 1/15 ISO 400 at about 18 inches away. Focus locked fast and accurate, good enough for me anyhow. I am not a big low light shooter, but I do use it some and this is about as low as I get.
If you can send me a K5 that will do at least this well for me, has no "lock-up"problems, no "bounced flash" problems, no "dial problems" no "sensor stains", no other of the defects that have been reported, by all means send it! I will be as thrilled as those that report theirs are perfect and I will go away and shoot happily ever after.
Best Regards

[/url] [/IMG]

Well, you've certainly showed the K20D still can't auto white balance, that's for sure.

And you've used your best limited lens for the test - ROTFLMAO!

02-08-2011, 02:17 PM   #440

QuoteOriginally posted by jthommo Quote
Well, you've certainly showed the K20D still can't auto white balance, that's for sure.
don't be so pedantic. if shot in raw, you could always override. also i think rupert tried to get the lowest possible light to achieve focus--he can tell you more. i'm sure AWB on the K-5 would be interesting even at such low light levels.

-raph
02-08-2011, 02:32 PM   #441
Veteran Member

Isn't the world banning tungsten lighting anyway? Maybe this is soon to be a non-issue.
02-08-2011, 02:36 PM   #442
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sewebster Quote
Isn't the world banning tungsten lighting anyway? Maybe this is soon to be a non-issue.
02-08-2011, 02:51 PM   #443
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raphtze Quote
don't be so pedantic. if shot in raw, you could always override. also i think rupert tried to get the lowest possible light to achieve focus--he can tell you more. i'm sure AWB on the K-5 would be interesting even at such low light levels.

-raph

The auto white balance problem was - and is - a well known fault of the K20D and a real problem for jpeg shooters.

Sorry, but I owned and liked the K20D but was always irked by that fault.

02-08-2011, 02:54 PM   #444
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
Exactly right! Such globes are as rare as hen's teeth here now.
02-08-2011, 03:18 PM   #445
Veteran Member

Rupert..

I must admit..my K5 could not do what your K20 has shown, if I stopped down to F5.6 I could..just!..but no way at F1.9...sad really.....the latest Firmware that us K5 owners are pinning out hopes on, seems to be a long time coming!!....Id have thought we would have had a fix by now ..

thanks for the Test :}
02-08-2011, 04:23 PM   #446

What part of Texas?
Austin.
02-08-2011, 04:32 PM   #447

Rupert,

I don't have the 43 mm limited but I do have a FA 50mm 1.4. I wanted to try to see what I got with my K-5 at those settings. So here is what I got at ISO 400, 1/15th of a second, f1.8 at about a foot and a half. Tungsten (halogen light on dimmer - really orange, auto WB). I had done fine tuning yesterday in natural light. No other changes. Did I do what you wanted? Or was I missing the boat in some way?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo   
02-08-2011, 04:41 PM   #448

QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
Firmware that us K5 owners are pinning out hopes on, seems to be a long time coming!!
i am definitely waiting for this too! all snarking aside. i put on a rather doggy lens, an smc pentax-m 1:2 50mm and have been playing with this manual metering mode....and of course manual focus

-raph
02-08-2011, 04:43 PM   #449

jrforman that's pretty damn sharp!

-raph
02-08-2011, 04:44 PM   #450
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sewebster Quote
Build date is likely hidden away in the exif. Seems weird that some cameras have the ff issue and some don't if it's something easily fixable in a firmware update...
I'll check that with PhotoME.
Thanks!

JP
Closed Thread