Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2011, 05:59 PM   #721
Forum Member

A quick question about live view. During the FF tests, has anyone noticed changes in exposure (or changes in shutter speed) between VF and LV shots of the same subject under same conditions? When I tried a K5 over the holidays I remember the LV shots had slightly different exposure (brighter). When I test the d7000 the LV shots have faster shutter speed by about a stop and thus less blur. It still seems to be in focus but the LV shots are sharper. I wonder if something similar happens with the K5.

02-21-2011, 06:12 PM - 1 Like   #722
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
So, my report will go online on Wednesday. I'll publish it on my blog and open a thread here in the news section (because it is about a new publication). Any objections?
02-21-2011, 06:46 PM   #723
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
I agree completely. The EOS 1D may be okay in a studio, but it's way too bulky and heavy for me to carry with me most of the time. What's the point of having the best AF and the best lenses if I can't use them to take the shots I want in the conditions I'm in?

For me the K-5 is a nice balance between quality, ease of use and portability. And most of the time I use the DA limited lenses, and they are indeed special and give me good results most of the time.

I think sometimes it's easy to get the impression (especially from reading this thread) that there's a serious problem that needs to be fixed. For some units, probably, and maybe Pentax have some QC issues they need to address.
That's because their is a serious problem that needs to be fixed

QuoteQuote:
I also suspect looking at some of the photos there may be a degree of user error - or perhaps a lack of understanding of why the shots came out the way they did. That comment is not directed at anyone in particular - it's just a possibility I am raising.
That could be the case. I've also seen people posting shots trying to prove their isn't a problem and it turns out it's user error.

I can easily replicate the low light FF fault on my K-5 and it's way off even focussing on a subject 20 odd feet away. I've posted two pictures of the same car license plate to show this. LV AF nails it. Regular AF doesn't

QuoteQuote:
However, I have not encountered any significant issues (I don't consider a few mm of FF at EV1-2 to be a "significant issue") and I know a few other owners who are also very happy with their units - I suspect there's a silent majority of satisfied users out there.
Apart from the LL FF AF fault I am more than happy with my K-5.

Your K-5 appears not to suffer from the problem. Good for you. I don't think anyone is claiming the K-5 isn't a great camera.

The behaviour of the Canon EOS 1D is really rather irrelevant is it not?
02-21-2011, 07:35 PM   #724

Photos: Albums
No objections here. Look forward to your conclusion. Thank you Falk

02-21-2011, 07:51 PM   #725
Veteran Member

Uhhh User Error?

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
I agree completely. The EOS 1D may be okay in a studio, but it's way too bulky and heavy for me to carry with me most of the time. What's the point of having the best AF and the best lenses if I can't use them to take the shots I want in the conditions I'm in?

For me the K-5 is a nice balance between quality, ease of use and portability. And most of the time I use the DA limited lenses, and they are indeed special and give me good results most of the time.

I think sometimes it's easy to get the impression (especially from reading this thread) that there's a serious problem that needs to be fixed. For some units, probably, and maybe Pentax have some QC issues they need to address. I also suspect looking at some of the photos there may be a degree of user error - or perhaps a lack of understanding of why the shots came out the way they did. That comment is not directed at anyone in particular - it's just a possibility I am raising.

However, I have not encountered any significant issues (I don't consider a few mm of FF at EV1-2 to be a "significant issue") and I know a few other owners who are also very happy with their units - I suspect there's a silent majority of satisfied users out there.
No offense intended, but if the macro shots in the thread you just posted are any indication of what you consider to be sharply focused images, I now know why you think your K5 has no problem.....

Maybe the fact that most of the images are not even close to sharp is simply user error?

Ray
02-21-2011, 08:10 PM   #726
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ray Pulley Quote

Maybe the fact that most of the images are not even close to sharp is simply user error?

LOL - of course it's "user error" - it's a manual focus lens. They are also high ISO shots taken in low light, hand held camera.

They are as sharp as I could achieve with my butter fingers - if you think you can do better by all means post your images and we will comment!
02-21-2011, 11:12 PM   #727
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
So, my report will go online on Wednesday. I'll publish it on my blog and open a thread here in the news section (because it is about a new publication). Any objections?
If only... you would work (hired, payed, contracted, supported) for Pentax :ugh:
And actually be allowed to have the same close contact with users, as you do now..... if only.

You are truly a solid rock for us.....

No objections!
02-21-2011, 11:19 PM   #728
Site Supporter

Seeing as how Falk will be opening his own thread re. the FF issue and the kids in here are starting a pillow fight, maybe the mods could shut this thread down and wait for a saner one to start in a couple of days.

02-21-2011, 11:37 PM   #729
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
She claims her K-5 only front focuses by a couple a mm's at EV1-2, yet it appears sharp focus isn't all that important to her.

Secondly, with repeated claims of a K-5 which doesn't have a need for a fix, we have yet to see a good test image posted from her (or anyone else as far as I've seen) showing that is the case. Empty words and never a picture. But everyone should trust her, her K-5 performs to standard and doesn't need a universal front focus fix, and by extension neither does anyone else's K-5.
I have posted that my experience with the K5, and checked with a collegue I work with who owns a K5 as well, is that I for one (and he) will not disagree with the comments made by Christine Tham.

I posted photos showing the precise focus in very poor artificial light, which showed no FF at all.
I was challenged that the Aperture was not wide enough, so took same photo at F1.4, no flash, hand held, and had absolutely no problems.
Of course, no acknowledgement was made about that, because, I suspect, it didn't fit in with the negative points of view.

I am one of the "everyone else" you speak of.
Perhaps it is not she who is on the crusade.

When will people desist from thrashing this topic to death.

Nobody has denied there are problems, even Pentax themselves, with some K5 cameras. So why go on and on and on, bringing discussion to the boring, and tense situations as people defend their positions.

I have said all this before, and ask please, if it is going to continue please show respect to every point of view on the matter

Last edited by Bramela; 02-22-2011 at 11:41 AM.
02-22-2011, 01:01 AM   #730
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The personal attacks I have been coming across lately in the forum are discouraging. Everyone's point of view is just that their point of view. When egos get bent out of shape over the preception of being discounted in some way, it has really gotten quite ugly. Is this the type of behavior we want new Pentax Forums members to experience? Are you intending to hurt someone's feelings with your ridicule? Is whatever the topic of the day is and your opinion about it, so all hell fired important that it is worth hurting someone's feelings? If a picture is worth a thousand words then the thousand words of put downs and ridicule on the forum lately are creating some pretty ugly pictures of some forum members.
02-22-2011, 04:19 AM   #731
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote

Nice one mate..I look forward to reading it...not that you need the Rep points...but I added you another all the same...cheers Falk
02-22-2011, 05:08 AM   #732
bfo

QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
If only... you would work (hired, payed, contracted, supported) for Pentax :ugh:
And actually be allowed to have the same close contact with users, as you do now..... if only.

You are truly a solid rock for us.....

No objections!
+1

looking forward to get some real insight to the K5 FF issue
02-22-2011, 06:06 AM   #733
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bfo Quote
OOF Shots taken with a MF lens confirms what? A faulty AF system?? Please calm down, no need to get ugly.

LOL - thanks for pointing that out (didn't see the post, since that user is on my ignore list).

I have no idea which photos are supposedly "OOF" since the ones I posted in the Macro Club thread are focused at the areas I wanted to be in focus (confirmed by pixel peeping).

Of course, they are not infinite DOF photos - if I wanted those I would have used a compact camera!
02-22-2011, 06:11 AM   #734
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Seeing as how Falk will be opening his own thread re. the FF issue and the kids in here are starting a pillow fight, maybe the mods could shut this thread down and wait for a saner one to start in a couple of days.
I would like to think it would be saner, but history demonstrates that it isn't likely. There is a small corps of posters who feel opinions that differ from their own should be met with insults and hostility and they will likely migrate to that thread as well.
There are fewer people doing that now than there were last week, and if things coninue the way this thread is there will be even fewer by this time nex week.
02-22-2011, 07:08 AM   #735
Veteran Member

Personal Attack?

QuoteOriginally posted by loveisageless Quote
The personal attacks I have been coming across lately in the forum are discouraging. Everyone's point of view is just that their point of view. When egos get bent out of shape over the preception of being discounted in some way, it has really gotten quite ugly. Is this the type of behavior we want new Pentax Forums members to experience? Are you intending to hurt someone's feelings with your ridicule? Is whatever the topic of the day is and your opinion about it, so all hell fired important that it is worth hurting someone's feelings? If a picture is worth a thousand words then the thousand words of put downs and ridicule on the forum lately are creating some pretty ugly pictures of some forum members.
If you are referring to my post about Christine's macro images, I suggest re-reading it.

I was simply making an observation about why she keeps implying that others are making user erros when her K5 works just fine.

From the posted images it seems to me that she has a lower standard for what she considers to be a sharp or in-focus image.

Ray

Ray
Closed Thread