Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2011, 02:20 AM   #181
gtl
Veteran Member

Is it possible that the AF problem is never gonna be fixed? The horror... I love my k5, but the low light focus really sucks.

01-20-2011, 02:48 AM   #182
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gtl Quote
Is it possible that the AF problem is never gonna be fixed? The horror... I love my k5, but the low light focus really sucks.
While I share you view on low light focus performance as far as my unit is concerned Pentax still has my full faith and credit (or at least a substantial part of the latter; the credit card is still mildly sizzling
01-20-2011, 03:06 AM   #183
Veteran Member

It has been suggested that the FF depends on the color of the focussed motive.
It is most severe with red objects.
Green objects are not affected.
I don't have my camera with me atm, so can't test this.
01-20-2011, 05:56 AM   #184
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A little test

I did a little test with my replacement K-5 (which, BTW, arrived with the stain; old stock from B&H) and my DA12-24. I set up a target 15 feet away in a room that was dimly lit with natural light at 2EV. I blocked the focus assist lamp so it could not influence the results. at 2EV with natural light the camera focused to infinity.
I then turned on an incandescent lamp which raised the light level to 3EV. The camera not focused somewhere around 7-8 feet.

This was quite repeatable. I'm not quite sure what this means, but just another in a long series of observations.

01-20-2011, 07:52 AM   #185
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Horst,
In a fast moving course like you are in, you need something reliable to get you going again. I've been reading focus complaints on the Nikon D7000 dpreview forum for an hour today, so i wouldn't advise you to keep or buy a K5 or a D7000.
Ditto what Phil said. Get something you're confident in, but the D7000 sadly seems to have similar issues. I've been watching those threads as well to see what Nikon's solution is...
01-20-2011, 08:52 AM   #186
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I replaced my K-5 with another which is exhibiting the same AF issues.

Now I am on live chat with Pentax and they say I should send it in to have the issues officially documented and re calibrated.

I have the feeling that Pentax Live chat people are not much help and just tell people to send the camera in for repair.

Does anyone have suggestions what I should do here? Perhaps I should call CRIS repair and ask how they handle this issue....

Thanks
01-20-2011, 09:38 AM   #187
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Does anyone with more technical knowledge than me (most everyone) have any idea how long a fix for this type of problem can reasonably a take. Given the proper testing laboratory, and competent technicians, which I assume Pentax has....what would be a reasonable time frame? Are we too early to expect results due to extreme difficulty in the repair, or are we at a point where Pentax has decided to "let it go"? I'm not in a particular hurry, but I would like some idea of what to expect?
Best Regards!

01-20-2011, 09:55 AM   #188
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sadly...

..it appears even the $7K Leica M9 suffers

low light metering, again - Leica User Forum

Woe, oh woe... when's it all gonna...? Whoa! M
01-20-2011, 10:32 AM   #189
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
..it appears even the $7K Leica M9 suffers

low light metering, again - Leica User Forum

Woe, oh woe... when's it all gonna...? Whoa! M
The Good news is none of the K-7's have this problem, good for me I kept my K-7
01-20-2011, 10:38 AM   #190
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Does anyone with more technical knowledge than me (most everyone) have any idea how long a fix for this type of problem can reasonably a take. Given the proper testing laboratory, and competent technicians, which I assume Pentax has....what would be a reasonable time frame? Are we too early to expect results due to extreme difficulty in the repair, or are we at a point where Pentax has decided to "let it go"? I'm not in a particular hurry, but I would like some idea of what to expect?
Best Regards!
I was wondering the same and I don't have any answers for you (The "technical knowledge" part leaves me at a disadvantage as well )...but, I am wondering whether Pentax will have the resources to deal with this along with the usual R&D for new products in a timely manner? The fact that the 645D which has the same AF module not having this AF problem tells me it could be done as a firmware issue (unless the mirror assmebly is causing it?, but then that would be the same as the K-7 though????). I frankly didn't want to take tha chance of Pentax coming through with a solution and that's why I didn't keep the camera....I hope it will be fixed soon, so I can get it again SOON.
01-20-2011, 11:04 AM   #191
Veteran Member

It may indeed be color related.
Take this:

FA50, f1.4, EV = 1,3
Fokused on the center folder.
The yellow folder is ca. 6 cm in front.
This is reproducible.

NB: The K20 is focusing correctly here!
01-20-2011, 11:24 AM   #192
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Has anyone from the USA contacted Pentax (either live chat or by phone) about this issue? When I spoke and chatted with two people, they both said that nobody has mentioned anything about this problem.
01-20-2011, 12:31 PM   #193

Original Poster
Dear Pentaxians,
I think we can conclude from all the messages in this board and many others that all ( maybe 1 or 2 expeptions here and there) K5`s do have the same problem with AF under artificial light. This means thousands of camera`s will have to be corrected and it is sure that the returned cams are piling up at the moment.
Pentax USA knows nothing about the problem they say. Pentax Benelux complains about very bad communication with PENTAX JAPAN so they don`t have a clue about eventual problem solving. PENTAX JAPAN is silent !
I hope that anyone of us is capable of contacting someone in PENTAX JAPAN in order to hear about the procedure with this issue soon. I can`t stand it having to read everyday these sad postings about the AF issue with so much hope in my heart and soul that there is a solution when I open the forum . Pentax should understand that their customers are so loyal that even though this evil issue exists they are prepared to stay with them. There is and end to everything though ! PENTAX PLEASE MAKE A STATEMENT THIS WEEK !
01-20-2011, 12:44 PM   #194
Veteran Member

While talking with Pentax France about my string of pearls problem, I've mentioned the FF problem. The guy told me it was a known bug and that Pentax Japan was working on it, but couldn't tell me a timeframe for the solution...
I guess changing the AF module between the K7 and the K5 just threw low-light focusing off...
The K7 works quite well in low-light, but its AF assist lamp kicks in sooner. I guess they felt like they could delay its use on the K5 with the new, more sensitive AF module, but it seems like that low-light + red (which is frankly what you have in any indoor portrait) defeats it.

Maybe they could alter the AF assist lamp algo so its threshold depends on the light frequency?
01-20-2011, 03:09 PM   #195
Veteran Member

I can't understand why this fault wasn't picked up in beta testing. I got my K-5 last Friday and I had it for about 3 hours and I discovered the low light focus problem and how the Live view Focus was OK in comparison.
Closed Thread