Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
02-07-2011, 03:44 AM   #406
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I still consider this a general problem and am waiting for a firmware update.
If this is not coming, of course I will send it in.
This then, will be the next massive send-in Pentax is facing, after the sensor stain issue.
And then there is the flash issue ...

02-07-2011, 04:44 AM   #407
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
I'm still not sure I understand the issue - why can't you and these 100 users and the dealer return all those cameras to Pentax for servicing/repair/exchange if there is a problem?
Because if you ask Pentax they admit that they don't have a cure for the problem. So until they know what to do there is no point in sending it in. Also I'm already on my second body, the first one had identical FF problems as my current body, but it also featured a severely stained sensor.

The FF isn't so bad with my da35 limited but VERY big with my sigma 17-70 (at the wide end). Another difference between these two lenses is that the limited needs no AF adjust in daylight while the sigma needs maximum -10 (or was it +?, I don't recall the sign right now). Maybe there is a connection there...
02-07-2011, 06:09 AM   #408
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm still not sure I understand the issue - why can't you and these 100 users and the dealer return all those cameras to Pentax for servicing/repair/exchange if there is a problem?
I'm on number 3. It's still showing signs of FF. Should I send it in again. If I thought I'd have a chance of getting a good one I would.

Here is an example. First one shot with the K-5, the second with the k100DS. I metered the light at a little less than 4EV using my sekonic light meter. I used flash in order to keep the ISO at 200 (200 is base ISO of the K100DS). The lens is a DA55-300 @ 300mm, f/5.8. The distance to the subject was 10 feet.

K-5:

K100DS

Even at -10, the images are still front focused. At 0 adjustment the photos in daylight are perfect with the DA55-300.

Now I'm sure some will say that it's not really a problem because no one in his/her right mind would use the DA55-300 in that situation. However, I have the same situation with my Sigma 70-200 1:2.8 HSM II, one of my favorite lenses for shooting indoor events such as weddings. My feeling is if the K100DS, that was introduced in the summer of 2007 can accurately find and lock focus, there is no excuse for the K-5 not to do the same.
02-07-2011, 06:15 AM   #409
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
The FF isn't so bad with my da35 limited but VERY big with my sigma 17-70 (at the wide end). Another difference between these two lenses is that the limited needs no AF adjust in daylight while the sigma needs maximum.....
So.. Have you addresed this with Sigma? If your Pentax lens isn't so bad and the Sigma is B-A-D, why is this a Pentax and NOT a Sigma problem?

Just curious... M

02-07-2011, 06:29 AM   #410
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
So.. Have you addresed this with Sigma? If your Pentax lens isn't so bad and the Sigma is B-A-D, why is this a Pentax and NOT a Sigma problem?

Just curious... M
Because it works great with my K10d so I don't want to mess with the lens, it also works (although adjusted) above EV4 with the K5.
02-07-2011, 06:42 AM   #411
Inactive Account

Kanataisiko se K-5 heittää roskikisee ja ostaa se canon.
02-07-2011, 07:02 AM   #412
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes.... the FF in those cat photos is what I am talking about. Christine may happen to have a K5 without the problem.... I don't know. The strange this is that the photos are front focused, and it does not even have to be very dark (not what Christine is describing). Also the FF is consistent! I will do my test again (for the 50th time) tonight where I focus on some books. At the edge of the frame on the bottom I have a pair of glasses. When the light falls below a certain level, the glasses end up in focus but not the books behind it. I use a dimmed tungsten light.

02-07-2011, 07:18 AM   #413
Veteran Member

My objective in testing my camera was to figure out whether I had a problem, which would then determine whether I needed to return/exchange the camera within the 45 day period.

Are you not able to send the camera to Pentax for inspection?
I have contacted my dealer about the FF problem. He says there's supposed to be a firmware fix due in the near future to fix the problem. if a firmware fix doesn't arrive or doesn't fix the problem then I will get my K05 exchanged for a copy that doesn't FF in low light
02-07-2011, 07:41 AM   #414

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote

Just curious... M
I had severe FF on 2 DA*'s, 35mm ltd and D-FA 100mm = all my daily lenses. Couldn't be corrected with the camera. Sold the K5 just yesterday after giving it to test for one week, the conditions the buyer is shooting doesn't show FF and I told him about the possible problems in certain situations. Most of my shooting is in those conditions and I have some paid gigs coming that need to be taken care of.

A bit of a shame I had to part with that camera but to me the focusing issues were that big deal. I hope Pentax deals with these issues asap because everything else in that camera is just near perfect.
02-07-2011, 09:19 AM   #415
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So, we received a word from Pentax Germany today and they said that all K5 are affected and Pentax is working on a solution.
This is not an official statement, but the word from one person at Pentax only.
02-07-2011, 10:26 AM   #416
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am surprised that this was not addressed before the camera was released, knowing it was supposed to work in low light conditions. It sounds like they just tried to release the camera for photokina even though there were things that weren't quite right.
02-07-2011, 11:11 AM   #417
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by areidjr Quote
I'm on number 3. It's still showing signs of FF. Should I send it in again. If I thought I'd have a chance of getting a good one I would.

Here is an example. First one shot with the K-5, the second with the k100DS. I metered the light at a little less than 4EV using my sekonic light meter. I used flash in order to keep the ISO at 200 (200 is base ISO of the K100DS). The lens is a DA55-300 @ 300mm, f/5.8. The distance to the subject was 10 feet.
Thanks for showing those pictures. I agree, that is a very severe error. I would return the camera if it was showing that kind of problem.

But I had the impression we are talking about a slight FF (in the order of mm) in low light. The error you are having is a lot worse than that - that makes the camera unusable in my opinion.

Why can't you keep returning the camera until you get one that works? That's what I would do. No point keeping a unit I am not happy with.

It seems to me not everyone is describing the same problem. Or if it is the same problem, it's affecting different units to different degrees.

Anyway, I'm bowing out of the thread. I only came in here to verify whether my camera has the problem or not, followed jolepp's test procedure and discovered my K-5 is no worse than other bodies that I tested on, so I'm giving mine a clean bill of health. Perhaps the camera does have the problem, but based on my testing it will not affect me under likely shooting scenarios.
02-07-2011, 12:47 PM   #418
Veteran Member

If we are to believe what others have posted here, then all K5s are affected - so exchanging cameras wouldn't prove too beneficial at this time.

Why can't you keep returning the camera until you get one that works? That's what I would do. No point keeping a unit I am not happy with.
02-07-2011, 12:55 PM   #419
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by areidjr Quote
I'm on number 3. It's still showing signs of FF. Should I send it in again. If I thought I'd have a chance of getting a good one I would...
Do not continue on... Return the camera!

My story... I acquired a K-5 (388XXXX, build date late October 2010) in early November 2010, before 'stains' and 'low light FF/BF' were identified as issues by others. In general, I was pleased, but it did not take me too long to notice an AF issue. In my case, I would in-camera fine tune the AF for my DFA 100 and FA 77, shoot with the 100 for several days, change lenses then shoot for several days more, then return to the 100 only to discover I needed to re-calibrate its AF. Something else may have been going on, but it appeared to me that the in-camera AF calibration would not lock (as it does with my K-7) from session to session.

I contacted Pentax service and they suggested I send the camera and lens in for evaluation. In the meantime, the stains issue surfaced. I checked the camera and to my surprise... no stains, but the AF issue was real and became a nagging bug-a-boo for me. In the end, I returned the camera for a full refund and waited until the end of Jan 2011 to re-order from a different vendor.

The new K-5 arrived and I'm astounded by the difference between the two. The re-order K-5 (397XXXX, build date is mid-January 2011) is a total joy to use and perfect in all respects that are meaningful to me. None of my DA or FA lenses require any in-camera AF adjustment... period! High light... low light... AF is dead-on... dead-solid-perfect! Now, my requirements are not at the extreme limits of the camera's spec. In fact, if you look at page 75 of the K-5 Manual (English), I rarely encounter many (if any) of the conditions so described that might cause an AF issue. If I do, I set things to MF, like Pentax suggests, fiddle focus around then soldier on. Works for me...

Anyway, if you can, my suggestion is to return a problem camera for a full refund, wait a while, then re-order. If you can't return it, work with Pentax service until they get it right. Granted it may cost you something (money, time, effort) to fuss around with it, but consider that cost 'tuition', since you learned something valuable even if you move on to another brand. Life is short. None of this is worth getting tied up in knots over.

My 2 cents... peace be with you... M
02-07-2011, 01:54 PM   #420
Veteran Member

But I had the impression we are talking about a slight FF (in the order of mm) in low light. The error you are having is a lot worse than that - that makes the camera unusable in my opinion.
At EV2 my K-5 Ff's by upto 300mm on some lenses. It's easy to see at f1.4

I'm awaiting the alleged firmware fix. Failing that it's going back for a replacement
Closed Thread