Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
02-09-2011, 12:41 AM   #466
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jrforman Quote
Yep. Took me a while to find windows machine with PhotoME, but here it is.

Firmware: 1.02.21.10
mgf date: 12-20-10
model: 0x12e76
Thank you...

I just picked up a new K5 from my distributor, just to see if the later builds are better......build 17/1/11...Ive not done the FF test yet..but a quick and dirty test , it seems the same.

Ill test it later..

02-09-2011, 03:46 AM   #467
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I started a thread for focus tests (procedures + results) here a while back. The culmination of my efforts towards a test method so far can be found here (yet another focus test chart ). The latter is good for distances of about 10x FL, it can be argued how relevant this sort of test is as far a real-life conditions go, but with the assumption that subject distance as such doesn't affect AF operation the results should be meaningful; when subject distance increases, so does DOF, so it is easier to see a problem with shorter distances, also, controlled light is easier to provide on a small scale test like this.
02-09-2011, 05:03 AM   #468
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by KansasHorizons.com Quote
Whats the best way to do a quick and dirty FF test shot with my new k-5?
Easy... Just make sure you do NOT test beyond the K-5's specs.

Using the AF performance spec on page 75 of your K-5 Manual (English), produce a test setup that AVOIDS all of the FAIL conditions, so described. Take your shots. Wait a day then reconfigure your test setting (again, do NOT violate any of the limiting conditions on page 75), then take more shots. Repeat two more times on separate days for a total of at least four test sessions before you judge the results

Once the test series is completed, if you are satisfied, move on and enjoy your camera. If NOT, return it for a refund and wait until a fix is in place before you buy, again.

My 2 cents... Good luck & cheers... M
02-09-2011, 06:23 AM   #469
Veteran Member

ok...my new K5 does perform better than the previous one....while its not perfect, it is better and does get perfect at F4

heres the test

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/129738-k-5-user-auto-foc...results-4.html

02-09-2011, 08:50 AM   #470

Original Poster
My first newest model Porsche had a speed limit of 60 miles per hour . Now after returning that car the dealer gave me a new one that reaches 70 miles per hour !! Wow , I think I will keep it!!
02-09-2011, 09:17 AM   #471
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
ok...my new K5 does perform better than the previous one....while its not perfect, it is better and does get perfect at F4

heres the test

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/129738-k-5-user-auto-foc...results-4.html
Most likely F4 would be good enough for me in most cases, but hardly anyone would buy a fast lens and pay the price without at least considering the ability to shoot at very low light levels at 2.8 or below. How much the K5 can compensate for this with the good high ISO, I don't know, but that seems to cripple the benefit somewhat. Decent high ISO and a fast lens, working together, and you have a breakthrough in low light shooting. Without it, you have just another camera, even if it is a good one.
Regards
02-09-2011, 11:54 AM   #472
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Most likely F4 would be good enough for me in most cases, but hardly anyone would buy a fast lens and pay the price without at least considering the ability to shoot at very low light levels at 2.8 or below. How much the K5 can compensate for this with the good high ISO, I don't know, but that seems to cripple the benefit somewhat. Decent high ISO and a fast lens, working together, and you have a breakthrough in low light shooting. Without it, you have just another camera, even if it is a good one.
Regards
No ISO is going to compensate for the narrow DOF and lovely bokeh you get from a 1.2 or 1.4 lens.

02-09-2011, 12:46 PM   #473
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Eric Seavey Quote
-Set camera to AF-C
-Set Aperture to f/2, shutter time 1/25s and sensitivity ISO3200 (in manual mode)
-Take a photo in a dimly tungsten light lit room (use a dimmer or put the light further away) with contrasty objects (such as a book case)
-it is nice to have some objects closer at the bottom edge of the picture to see if that ends up being sharp due to the FF

Take a few shots (and look which AF spots are in focus) and if your shots look slightly dim, it should be around the 2EV

This is how I do this practical quick and dirty test to see if the FF issue is present or not.
Eric:
A few questions:

Why would you use AF-C vs. AF-S for the test?
Does it really matter?
And why ISO 3200 while some people have been testing with much lower ISO's?
Just curious and I want to peform some of my own tests according to your suggestions.

Thanks,

JP
02-09-2011, 01:24 PM   #474
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
No ISO is going to compensate for the narrow DOF and lovely bokeh you get from a 1.2 or 1.4 lens.
I do stand corrected there.....that is an important factor I just plain overlooked. I can see where this is all important to Wedding shooters.
Regards
02-09-2011, 01:36 PM   #475
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A quick question: Is the firmware the same as your previous K-5? The improved performance must be due to some change, ie: firmware, hardware or tighter QC. Any info you can provide will help us all.
Earl
02-09-2011, 02:03 PM   #476
Veteran Member

firmware is the silent release 1.02

Rupert.
My point is its now proven that there are indeed better performing K5's out there... until now that's not been the case..I would really appreciate it if another forum member with a late model K5 would do the test,,

also have you looked at my results before commenting here?..please do, as I think you will see that the tests do show a good performing K5....perhaps you could put the K20 through the same test for me , id like to see how it performs ...

Bjan... that's crap talk mate..sorry...:{ ...look at the test...

one point I do feel is being ignored here....and its a very important point.....none of these shots would have been possible handheld..at the high quality 100 ISO...if Id bumped the ISO to a point where I could handhold such as shot...the increase in noise would negate any softness in the image I would have seen at 100 ISO.

the New K5 perfoms very well at EV3....and good down to EV0....

Last edited by Tommot1965; 02-09-2011 at 02:17 PM.
02-09-2011, 02:07 PM   #477
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by merengue Quote
A quick question: Is the firmware the same as your previous K-5? The improved performance must be due to some change, ie: firmware, hardware or tighter QC. Any info you can provide will help us all.
Earl
I've tested all firmware versions on my K-5, including both V1.02's and they made no difference to the FF problem
02-09-2011, 02:23 PM   #478
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Eric:
A few questions:

Why would you use AF-C vs. AF-S for the test?
Does it really matter?
And why ISO 3200 while some people have been testing with much lower ISO's?
Just curious and I want to peform some of my own tests according to your suggestions.

Thanks,

JP
This is a quick, practical and dirty test that will clearly show the presence of the FF problem. With AF-C settings, the AF assist light will not come on. However, there should be just enough light available for the camera to focus fairly easily.

With not too long lenses (30mm or 50mm) one should be able to hand hold the camera, walk around their home in dim conditions and shoot away.

If the images are bright or overexposed, the conditions are too bright and will probably not show the FF problem.

If the photos are very dark or black, the conditions may be too dark, and the camera may simply not be designed to AF in those conditions.

I like to shoot objects on a table, like a glass. If the FF issue is present, the glass will not be in focus even though the camera had no problem locking on to it. If there are objects closer near the edge of the frame and outside the focus points, those will be clearly in focus. Under brighter conditions, the same shot of this glass would always would give a sharp shot of the glass.

Again, this test is not for quantifying the FF problem or determining the cause, but to help people with an easy method to show the FF problem.

I hope this helps.
02-09-2011, 02:29 PM   #479
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
firmware is the silent release 1.02

Rupert.
My point is its now proven that there are indeed better performing K5's out there... until now that's not been the case..I would really appreciate it if another forum member with a late model K5 would do the test,,

also have you looked at my results before commenting here?..please do, as I think you will see that the tests do show a good performing K5....perhaps you could put the K20 through the same test for me , id like to see how it performs ...

Bjan... that's crap talk mate..sorry...:{ ...look at the test...

one point I do feel is being ignored here....and its a very important point.....none of these shots would have been possible handheld..at the high quality 100 ISO...if Id bumped the ISO to a point where I could handhold such as shot...the increase in noise would negate any softness in the image I would have seen at 100 ISO.

the New K5 perfoms very well at EV3....and good down to EV0....
Tommot,
Between the two cameras, did you have any AF fine adjustment differences?

Thanks
02-09-2011, 03:11 PM   #480
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I know I said I wasn't interested in posting in this thread, but I have some new news.

I tried AF fine adjustment calibration of my K-5, and discovered it was slightly back focusing on nearly all lenses. Not enough to actually cause a misfocus when shooting, but clearly the actual focus point is slightly behind where it needs to be.

Perhaps this is the reason why I don't get FF in low light?

Just a thought, as it occurred to me Pentax may be shipping new K-5s with a deliberate slight BF to compensate for FF in low light.

That would explain why some people (like me) are reporting no FF issues with their K-5, but others with late serial numbers are still experiencing the issue.

I may do some tests after my AF adjustment to see if I get any FF in low light. I tried some casual shots yesterday, and still could not get the camera to FF, but these were not rigorous tests.
Closed Thread