Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
02-19-2011, 08:48 PM   #691
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

There reportedly are K5's that do not have the focus issue. Like Rupert, I don't want to switch from Pentax to another brand. I ordered a K5 from B&H this week, which is scheduled to arrive on Tuesday. I will test it for sensor stains and for FF problems. If the body exhibits these issues, I will return the camera for a refund. I upgraded to the K7 a year ago because the size and weight of the K10D was a little too big for me. For my brand loyalty I got a camera with sub-par ISO and shutter blurr. Due to a hand tremor, I need the K5's ISO capabilities. Figuring that B&H is doing enough volume of sales that the first bad batch of K5's has been dispatched and replennished with stain free bodies, I thought why wait. If the camera is good I will be taking $200 worth of pictures that I wouldn't have taken if I waited until the price comes down by that amount. I've heard the argument that all the brands have their issues. True, but my confidence in Pentax will be diminished, if the K5 does not get fixed. Sell me an unfinished work (K7) and then your next model (K5), with design and QC failures, why would I believe that the next generation model will be any better? If I have to switch brands, It won't be an issue of me deserting Pentax, it will be the outcome of Pentax deserting me as their customer. It won't be of case of Pentax losing customers, it will be a case of Pentax driving their customers away.

02-19-2011, 08:50 PM   #692
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For me, I would love to have a focus assist light control. Many times with my K20D I use a little LED flashlight to help me get focus in the dark or when I use my 645 Lenses above f8 in low light on my K20D. Being able to turn it on or off would work just fine for me.
Regards
02-19-2011, 11:34 PM   #693
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have there been any reports of the 645D having a front focusing problem? I'm just thinking, that since SAFOX IV+ was introduced on the 645D, and subsequently used on the K-5, that if this problem resides in the AF algorithms, that it would affect the 645D too.

If the 645D is fine, maybe it is some hardware issue.
02-20-2011, 12:32 AM   #694

QuoteOriginally posted by GregK8 Quote
If the 645D is fine, maybe it is some hardware issue.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that its a software issue... but it seems like such a glaring FF issue would have been picked up in pre production if it was a hardware issue (you would hope anyway). I really REALLY hope this doesn't boil down to a QC problem again.

02-20-2011, 01:24 AM   #695
Inactive Account

Was there any significant change in this behaviour between firmware 1.01 and 1.02?
02-20-2011, 05:48 AM   #696
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
Was there any significant change in this behaviour between firmware 1.01 and 1.02?
I think we have determined the answer to that is no.
02-20-2011, 06:14 AM   #697
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by GregK8 Quote
I think we have determined the answer to that is no.
hmm ok... thanks!

Whats worrying, is that after this time, theres no answer or Firmware out. The worrying part will be a possible mechanical problem, that will require everyone to send the cameras in for exchange or repair.

That would be a BIG setback for Pentax.

Now... would they dare to let this one pass as time goes by???

I do not trust them alot, because of past issues.

There are a few people on this forum that are always very fast to spill the beans on rumours and news, one or two of them i trust that they really do know things.

It worries me that none of these persons seem to be around the forum now. Indicates that there is a enurmous lid put on this matter.

02-20-2011, 08:09 AM   #698
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
For me, I would love to have a focus assist light control. Many times with my K20D I use a little LED flashlight to help me get focus in the dark or when I use my 645 Lenses above f8 in low light on my K20D. Being able to turn it on or off would work just fine for me.
Regards
There should be a parameter for the user to choose at what EV level the assist light comes on. However the light is obtrusive and it's obviously no substitute for an AF system that works between EV4 and DV0 as the K20Ds AF system works.

try taking pictures of pets with the AF asssit light. scares them off.
02-20-2011, 08:31 AM   #699
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
There should be a parameter for the user to choose at what EV level the assist light comes on. However the light is obtrusive and it's obviously no substitute for an AF system that works between EV4 and DV0 as the K20Ds AF system works.

try taking pictures of pets with the AF asssit light. scares them off.

I agree that the Assist Light is not a solution, but it would at least work for many situations that I use. From my standpoint, I am going to have to decide if I can live with the FF issues or make other choices about the future. I'm just looking at ways to stay with Pentax and not sell off all the gear I have and love.

It has been several months that this problem has been made known to Pentax, and my belief is that they are not going to address it, or we would have seen some sign, heard some word.....officially. If that is the case, many of us have to decide to move on, live with the flaws, or wait for the next model, which may be 18 months away. Each person has their own needs and will determine accordingly to those needs.

What I am saying is that I am willing to work around the FF issue if there are ways, such as the Assist Light, to do this. I have a 50-135 SDM lens, and although the first one failed, I managed to use it MF for some time and will most likely end up doing the same with the current one when it fails...assuming it does.

Not backing away from my displeasure with Pentax with the K5, but we sometimes have to live with our choices. Like Mrs Rupert, who has many fine and lovely features...but also has that addiction to plastic........this late in the game, you just try to live with it and keep that old saying close in your mind........"The Devil I know, is better than the Devil I don't know".
Best Regards
02-20-2011, 11:15 AM   #700
Veteran Member

the AF problem only occurs in a small range of light conditions. Where its very dark but not dark enough for the lamp to come on, so its not really affecting my photos as such because i tend to have decided to use the flash by that point.
02-20-2011, 11:21 AM   #701
Inactive Account

700 posts..

brother
02-20-2011, 11:32 AM   #702
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
the AF problem only occurs in a small range of light conditions. Where its very dark but not dark enough for the lamp to come on, so its not really affecting my photos as such because i tend to have decided to use the flash by that point.
Flash does not help the problem unless the focus assist light (either on the flash or camera) comes on. Otherwise one just gets a flashed FF'ed photo. If the FF issue is there, it's there with or without the flash
02-20-2011, 02:30 PM   #703
Veteran Member

The fix is in?

I think I have found an inexpensive product that solves the problem in combination with center-point AF + recompose.
02-20-2011, 02:59 PM   #704
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am seriously considering Rupert's suggestion to carry a LED torch and use it as a manual AF assist ...

Except it probably won't work for stealth photography ...

(Recently, a man was arrested for taking lots of photos and videos up women's skirts - presumably as they were climbing stairs or using escalators - he probably wasn't using a K-5 ...)
Eastwood man held for indecent filming
02-20-2011, 03:28 PM   #705
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
I think I have found an inexpensive product that solves the problem in combination with center-point AF + recompose.

I wasn't sure about that until I saw the Buyer Protection Plan....then I ordered two!
Regards!
Closed Thread