Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2011, 10:08 PM   #16
Veteran Member

My Metz has the ability to update firmware - I don't believe the Pentax flashes offer that. IIRC, Metz has issued one update for my 58 AF1 but I have not yet downloaded it as it was aimed at a capability I do not use.

12-27-2011, 11:23 PM   #17

@Stevelink Posting the image may help.

The Metz 58 AF-2 is the most powerful fully featured hotshoe flash for Pentax. The 1/256th power setting is also a nice feature. I use mine in manual mode, but do find the flash distance estimates helpful and the interface rather intuitive.

I feel that one really good flash combined with a number of manual flashes makes a great combination. I have paired my Metz with a Yongnuo YN560 and will add another when they release their YN560II with LCD panel.

I also highly recommend the Aputure Trigmaster Plus radio triggers as an alternative to the poor quality eBay units. They are made very well, can be used to focus and release the shutter while simultaneously firing strobes, have great range and fire every time.
12-28-2011, 01:46 PM   #18
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy97 Quote
I have a Metz 48 AF-1 and love it. Haven't used any of the others.
I heartily cast my vote for this flash as well. On my K20D it underexposed nearly all the time, but on the K-5 it's a monster! Even dropping the flash exposure to -0.3 EV, I can still easily over-expose. However, I'd much prefer to have to reduce power than increase it, so I can't imagine how well this flash will do on my K-5 if I have to shoot at a long distance. So far, I've only shot a maximum of about 25 feet away with great results.
12-28-2011, 04:14 PM   #19
Veteran Member

You should have started seperate thread in the Flash forum, but anyway.
Have you checked if all of the flashes are firing? If they are, then it sounds like your flashes are not as powerful as you expect them to be.
You might have to move them closer to the subject, get more power, increase iso or open up the aperture.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevelink Quote
Season's Greetings!
I have a new Metz 50 AF-1, and I am getting some unexpected underexposure using the following set-up:
On the Pentax K-5:
Lens: Pentax DA 16-45 at 19mm (Approx. 10 ft. from group)
Flash in Wireless Mode: Off
Camera in Manual Mode: 1/125 sec at f/9 ISO 200
Built-in Flash Mode: ON at -0.7 in Control Mode
Quality: RAW + JPEG Fine

Umbrella Flashes:
Metz Mecablitz 50 AF-1 at Full Power Servo Mode (Power = 1/1) into a 44” white umbrella approx. 5 ft. from subject at camera right (Main light)
Sunpak Auto 323 Super at ISO 200 Manual Full Power into a 40” white umbrella approx. 6 ft. from subject at camera left (Fill)

The resulting image looked at least a half stop under-exposed (both on K-5's LCD and my computer display in Photoshop prior to correction) However, I did not want to either open the aperture (sacrificing some needed DOF) or increase the ISO, and I could not really move the umbrellas any closer, or they would have intruded into the image. (I suppose a vertical composition was possible, but that obviously would not have affected the exposure.)
Any thoughts on how I could have improved the image would be greatly appreciated! I'm thinking I may not have the K-5 settings for camera/flash sync configured correctly. Thank you.

01-26-2012, 03:39 PM   #20
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the advice, Nuff! Update: Since I had an error on trying to update the firmware for the Metz 50 AF-1, and was within my 30-day purchase window, I returned the unit. I'm now debating on getting another one or even going for the Metz 58...not sure if the extra $150 is worth it (for me, that is), as I don't use flash every day. Overall, I did like the 50 AF-1 with the Pentax K-5. (Obviously, if the firmware update worked, I would have kept the flash.)