Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2011, 12:08 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
interesting observation

I would never have seen this, as I don't use AWB.

But, this also adds some other questions specifically what functions are and are not present that we don;t know about with any of the cameras.

01-14-2011, 12:50 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I feel that my SMC K lens is warmer than my A lens, regardless of white balance. It's much warmer. Could be coatings?
01-14-2011, 01:17 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
I feel that my SMC K lens is warmer than my A lens, regardless of white balance. It's much warmer. Could be coatings?

I would think a difference in coatings could definitely cause this (perhaps that explains why i like the M lenses, in film days i frequently has a warming filter on my lenses
01-14-2011, 09:45 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have seen plenty of test overall between brands, etc where coatings do indeed make a difference in color rendering, so that's probably what you're seeing here. It seems like every lens is a bit different in this regards. Note this rendering is different than the issue the OP is talking about, which has to do with the tint changing for the same exact lens.

Thanks jolepp for your additional work. It does sound like a bit of an isolated problem. You could probably use the flash (or even steady daylight) if you want another one or two color temperatures to test that aren't tungsten (in case the issue is only related to the tungsten WB programming).

01-15-2011, 07:51 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
jolepp, this is nothing new.
Also the old cameras show this behaviour.

I just tested it with the K20 and the K5. Exactly the same behaviour.
In the A position WB is ok, turning it out of A WB is off.
01-18-2011, 05:20 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
interesting observation

I would never have seen this, as I don't use AWB.

But, this also adds some other questions specifically what functions are and are not present that we don;t know about with any of the cameras.
Yep, for one thing reports of inconsistent metering with M42 lenses at least are common enough and this certainly has practical relevance.
01-18-2011, 05:21 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Could be coatings too, but here I have tried to eliminate that .
01-19-2011, 09:45 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Coatings probably explain it up to a point, but I doubt whether they explain it entirely. I have three K lenses and three M lenses and they all render color differently on my K200D (or perhaps affect AWB differently, for whatever reason). The M 50/2 and M 28/2.8 are the only lenses that produce roughly the same colors, with a kind of neutral coloring lacking the distinctive rendering of my other K and M lenses. The M 50/1.7 renders coldly, with a distinctive blue cast. The K 50/1.2 renders colors very naturally, yet with more brightness and saturation than the M 50/2 and the M 28/2.8. The K 200/4 produces rich, contrasty color with a slight warm touch to its rendering. The K 28/3.5 creates rather dark, vibrant, very contrasty colors with a slight purple/magenta touch to the rendering that reminds me of the old technicolor movies of the fifties.

Now given that lenses in the same series, produced around the same time, render color differently, this suggests that it is more than just the coatings that are leading to the different color schemes. These lenses also seem to affect the K200D's AWB (for utterly inexplicable reasons) in different ways as well.

01-25-2013, 01:34 AM   #24

Some updated observations

I know this is an old thread but found it in a search for an AWB problem I recently noticed. The problem is unresolved at this point. As discussed here AWB does not seem to work at least in tungsten light with manual lenses (pre A). Seems to be a lot of theorizing about coatings and color casts of older lenses. This is not the reason as I've done some testing with a couple A lenses. Some others above did the same. Try it yourself. Set the lens to the A setting and WB looks pretty good. Then move the aperture ring off of A. After a second or two the image changes to a distinct yellow cast on the LCD, Likewise photos taken on A are pretty balanced, but with manual aperture settings there is a yellow cast. I've tested this with several A lenses on 2 K-01 bodies. The posts above indicate that it also occurs on many other models. Is it a bug in the Pentax firmware that fails to apply the tungsten correction in AWB when in manual mode? Is Pentax aware of this problem? It makes using manual lenses more difficult.

Thanks/Ed
01-25-2013, 02:05 AM   #25
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by EArenz Quote
I know this is an old thread but found it in a search for an AWB problem I recently noticed. The problem is unresolved at this point. As discussed here AWB does not seem to work at least in tungsten light with manual lenses (pre A). Seems to be a lot of theorizing about coatings and color casts of older lenses. This is not the reason as I've done some testing with a couple A lenses. Some others above did the same. Try it yourself. Set the lens to the A setting and WB looks pretty good. Then move the aperture ring off of A. After a second or two the image changes to a distinct yellow cast on the LCD, Likewise photos taken on A are pretty balanced, but with manual aperture settings there is a yellow cast. I've tested this with several A lenses on 2 K-01 bodies. The posts above indicate that it also occurs on many other models. Is it a bug in the Pentax firmware that fails to apply the tungsten correction in AWB when in manual mode? Is Pentax aware of this problem? It makes using manual lenses more difficult.

Thanks/Ed
Interesting!