Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2011, 03:13 PM   #1

Lightroom 3.3 k5 camera profile

Hi!
This is my first post on this great forum. Thanks to you vast amount of useful information has been right at my hand

I have a problem though I have used Lightroom for many years, but have never paid any attention to the camera profile settings. But by comparing the jpegs produced by the raw+ settings in the k5 to the dng files my wish is to get those nice looking jpegs settings which should in some extent be embedded in the dng file transferred to Lightroom.

As far as I know Lightroom 3.3 supports the K5, but I am not sure in what way. Does it support K5 in the way that it recognizes PEF files or does this mean that K5 camera profiles are available?

When i import K5 raw files into Lightroom, pef or dng I only get the option to select embedded or Adobe Standard. As far as I can see no k5 camera profile is available. Has anyone of you seen the option to select a K5 profile? Am I missing something.

If no camera profile for the K5 is available could any one of you Lightroom uses please share your K5 settings with me if you have crated on?

Thanks.

01-08-2011, 09:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't think there is a simple way to emulate what the jpeg engine does in camera. But it would be a good idea, creating LR presets for the camera's modes.

I'd also love to read about how you people post process your images. Do you have "base" presets or profile you use all the time, what kind of contrast/colors/etc. settings do you apply, that kind of tips.

I do use a personal "standard contrast" preset, but didn't have enough time to fine-tune it yet.
01-08-2011, 09:47 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PhilippeG Quote
I don't think there is a simple way to emulate what the jpeg engine does in camera. But it would be a good idea, creating LR presets for the camera's modes.
I think Pentax users should lobby Adobe to include the camera jpeg modes in a future LR release. Nikon and Canon jpeg modes are included. For my Canon files I find the added choices very useful--much to my surprise and delight.

M
01-08-2011, 11:44 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MrK5 Quote
. But by comparing the jpegs produced by the raw+ settings in the k5 to the dng files my wish is to get those nice looking jpegs settings which should in some extent be embedded in the dng file transferred to Lightroom.
As far as I can see no k5 camera profile is available.
I too would like some advise on this, This has been a source of great irritation on post develop with my K10

01-09-2011, 12:17 AM   #5
Pentaxian

The easiest, and probably only way to have the jpeg settings transfer to a RAW file is to have the Pentax DCU software export a DNG. Your embedded jpeg settings should be automatically applied to the DNG image; these will be carried over to Lightroom.

I don't do this (except for some testing) so I may be missing the configuration of a key setting in the PDCU. Still, I've seen it work.

M
01-09-2011, 02:26 PM   #6

Original Poster
So I have investigated further. By looking at the Adobe Camera Raw profiles I have found the K5 profile in the Adobe Standard folder. As far as I know applying this profile gives a better result than using the embedded profile. The K7 for instance has a camera standard profile in the camera folder. A similar profile for the k5 is what I am looking for. I believe Adobe will create this profile in the near future.

Miguel using the Pentax DCU software sounds interesting. Could you please explain how you do this? Will this only work if I shoot in raw+? Or would a single dng file conatin the jpeg look?

As far as my Lightroom workflow goes I tend to use the Basic Bam preset found at Camera Dojo as a starting point besides adjusting exposure, white balance, etc.
01-09-2011, 09:22 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by PhilippeG Quote

I'd also love to read about how you people post process your images. Do you have "base" presets or profile you use all the time, what kind of contrast/colors/etc. settings do you apply, that kind of tips.

I do use a personal "standard contrast" preset, but didn't have enough time to fine-tune it yet.
Tha profile named "Adobe Standard" you fin in the drop down nený is a profile specific for the K5, not a generic one.
The "Adobe Standard" profiles which have been created for every supported camera is aimed to provide a sort o standadized rendering, other profiles which are available in the drop down mený of LR and ACR for some camera only (mainly Nikon and Canon) are intended to emulate the rendering of the specific proprietary jpg.
You can create specific profiles to your taste using the DNG Profile Editor playing with colors and contrast curves, it is rather easy following te documentation provided by Adobe with the free downloadable SW.
Cheers,
Ario
01-10-2011, 02:46 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
The easiest, and probably only way to have the jpeg settings transfer to a RAW file is to have the Pentax DCU software export a DNG. Your embedded jpeg settings should be automatically applied to the DNG image; these will be carried over to Lightroom.

I don't do this (except for some testing) so I may be missing the configuration of a key setting in the PDCU. Still, I've seen it work.

M
I just tried this. I shot a picture in pef and after changing the settings in my camera dng.
I imported the pef in pdcu and exported this as a dng. Then imported both dngs to Lightroom. The only difference I found in the pictures was that the dng created from the ped was very underexposed. No custom image settings were transferred. I also tried changing the camera profile from adobe standard to embedded for the dng created from the pef. This only put the colors off.

In another test i changed the pef to monocrome in pdcu and exported this as an dng. When importing this dng to Lightroom it still was in color.

Anything I am doing wrong or is this how it works until Adobe creates custom profiles for the K5?

01-10-2011, 03:28 PM   #9

Original Poster
Found a great preset that mimics the jpegs very well: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/digital-processing-software-printing/7940...m-presets.html

This seems like the easy solution and a great starting point for further raw development
01-10-2011, 05:09 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Easy=good.

Though I place a very high value on color factors within an image, color rendition itself I don't worry so much about. Fixing/correcting/changing color is relatively easy these days (unlike my darkroom days). And Lightroom for color work rocks.

M
03-24-2011, 08:39 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MrK5 Quote
So I have investigated further. By looking at the Adobe Camera Raw profiles I have found the K5 profile in the Adobe Standard folder. As far as I know applying this profile gives a better result than using the embedded profile. The K7 for instance has a camera standard profile in the camera folder. A similar profile for the k5 is what I am looking for. I believe Adobe will create this profile in the near future.
I have lightroom 3.3 but I cant find the K5 .dcp or profile. Has it been made yet? I have looked at the DNG editor and it looks a little complex for me, is their a premade one i can download?
06-15-2011, 01:50 AM   #12

Original Poster
It has been a while since I posted this request for Lightroom presets. Has anyone found or created any good presets or camera profiles which they are willing to share?
06-15-2011, 09:54 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I process each DNG image uniquely, but generating such presets should be fairly easy. Process a raw image to match the jpeg of the same shot. Then put the settings into a preset.
06-16-2011, 07:50 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I use LR 3.3 and shoot PEF RAW on my K-5s. The files import fine.
10-03-2011, 02:44 AM   #15

I'm looking into this as well. I hope there's more standard way to match the result of Lightroom Import with the Custom Image (image finishing tone) in K5. The raw PEF files contain all the parameters' values. In fact, Faststone Image Viewer can fairly accurately review the PEF with the image finishing tone parameters read and showed. I can actually use Faststone Image Viewer to individually save the PEF file into a JPEG version with the image finishing tone matched the ones in the camera (look the same on the K5 LCD). However, when the Faststone Image Viewer batch converts the PEF files into JPEG, the plain raw images are converted. I'm hoping LR can have similar capability.