Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2011, 03:30 PM   #16
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It was a good review vs a bad review, so I'll take it...with a grain of salt. The best reviews will come from someone you know and trust to give you their lowdown and pros and cons. Most of those I know have been very positive in all the areas that concern me. The photos posted on this site are better than the Reviewers, but his were not "ugly" by any means, just common shots, like most of us take often.
I can only speak for myself, but all that is holding me back is the few remaining but nagging problems many have reported. When I see the "All Clear" sign, I'm ready to buy. When operating as anticipated, what is there that is better for anywhere near the price? Nothing I have seen and I have seen all there is. Patience is not my virtue, but I am trying to hold on for that "All Clear" sign....come on Pentax, speed it up!
Best Regards!

01-11-2011, 04:53 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think review was generic but I also feel that images could have been better. Looks more like snapshots.
01-11-2011, 07:35 AM   #18
Inactive Account

I'd have to agree here; probably a blend of his puppy-ish enthusiasm for the camera mixed in with some of the dry, techno-jargon from a dpreview would have had more impact. The K5 isn't targeted towards a newbie so as someone who would be looking at one as a possible purchase, it'd be nice to get feedback on the technical merits of the camera other than just "GREAT", "ONE HELL OF A", or "BIG YES". After all, shouldn't there be a better way to convey your enthusiasm or sheer joy about a topic with words other than ALL CAPS?

QuoteOriginally posted by salgueiros Quote
Even though i am completely partial to Pentax, this review did not please me. It sounded more of a guy with a new toy he fancies and consequently overly excited about it... Besides i agree with posters before that said the pictures were not that great.

I would rather see good reviews from more sober experts or at least enthusiastic reviewers that add a bit more substance to his opinions other than "GREAT!" and stuff like that. Otherwise it looks only as a fanboy wannabe page.
01-11-2011, 07:52 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by legacyb4 Quote
I'd have to agree here; probably a blend of his puppy-ish enthusiasm for the camera mixed in with some of the dry, techno-jargon from a dpreview would have had more impact. The K5 isn't targeted towards a newbie so as someone who would be looking at one as a possible purchase, it'd be nice to get feedback on the technical merits of the camera other than just "GREAT", "ONE HELL OF A", or "BIG YES". After all, shouldn't there be a better way to convey your enthusiasm or sheer joy about a topic with words other than ALL CAPS?
the K5 may not be targeted at a newbie but you'd be surprised by how many newbies buy high end dslrs, I've been in shops and overheard people moving from a p/s to a canon 5d because they want the best so a review like this can have an impact as the same newbies aren't likely to read a lot of techno babble. (call it the Ken Rockwell effect, I can't stand the guy but he is responsible for a lot of camera sales i think - now if he would rave about the K5....na that would just be the final sign of the pending apocalypse )
I'm always puzzled by move up shooters who gravitate towards much more complicated machines when what they have been using really hasn't taught them how a camera works. then they complain they got better results with the p/s or just shoot in green mode defeating the reason for spending all that dough.

01-11-2011, 03:43 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I think will hear more of him after he gets his own K-5. I believe he did not have time to shoot.
Overall, given his first impression i think it's a good review.
01-12-2011, 12:12 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I usually like Huff's stuff, and am a big fan of real world reviews, but this one sounded a bit rushed, a bit forced, a bit too cloying. Sounded like Ken Rockwell...
Ha..ha..
That was my impression as well.

Maybe its just me, but the article came forth with a bit to much 'false enthusiasm', like as if he was paid to say good things. Might be the lack of details and some typo's (eg. 33mm ltd ) that led me to think that way.

I'd have to agree with the other poster that many of the photos are not as 'top notch' as could have been. I like the K7 review and photos better.

Nonetheless, good to see the K5 get another thumbs up from a good photographer with a well read website.
01-12-2011, 11:42 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
I have nothing againt the review and I am happy about what is said about the K-5 but is review is weak
Ah, I misunderstood you to say that the review of camera was not good, when you actually meant that the review itself was not good, i.e. not well done. Sorry.

Rob