Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2011, 10:39 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rsolti13 Quote
I really want a take everywhere camera (which the K5 sounds like it is and the D700 certainly ISN'T)
My K5 and 3 lenses go EVERYWHERE with me, even to work in the same backpack I keep my laptop in. It isn't a heavy system at all and from this thread and from what you want, I'd say it is worth you trying the K5 and a couple of Ltds ... there will be no shortage of buyers if you decide it's not for you and want to sell them on !!

01-11-2011, 10:41 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Hey there, you may recognize my name from FredMiranda (but probably not).

I shoot both a D700 and a K-5. At the moment, my Nikon kit is set up to be primarily zoom-based, while the Pentax kit is almost all primes, as you can see in my sig. I've got a lot of the ones you plan to get, and I've used the others. Unlike you, I started on the Pentax side and later added the D700 for full-frame possibilities.

The K-5 stands up very favorably to the D700 in many ways. I don't have any regrets over owning both kits, except for the fact that I don't have enough time to get the most out of both of them. Build quality is probably equal, K-5 wins on weight and ergonomics, K-5's VF is 100% but not as big, D700 definitely wins on AF (especially for sports), also wins in terms of shallow DoF (obviously).

All in all, they're both great tools. If your goal is to reduce your kit size/expenses without sacrificing IQ, I think it's a good move.

You might also want to talk to PentaxForums/FredMiranda user Todd Adamson, as he's recently added a K-5 kit to his existing D3 setup.
01-11-2011, 10:52 AM   #33

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Hey there, you may recognize my name from FredMiranda (but probably not).

I shoot both a D700 and a K-5. At the moment, my Nikon kit is set up to be primarily zoom-based, while the Pentax kit is almost all primes, as you can see in my sig. I've got a lot of the ones you plan to get, and I've used the others. Unlike you, I started on the Pentax side and later added the D700 for full-frame possibilities.

The K-5 stands up very favorably to the D700 in many ways. I don't have any regrets over owning both kits, except for the fact that I don't have enough time to get the most out of both of them. Build quality is probably equal, K-5 wins on weight and ergonomics, K-5's VF is 100% but not as big, D700 definitely wins on AF (especially for sports), also wins in terms of shallow DoF (obviously).

All in all, they're both great tools. If your goal is to reduce your kit size/expenses without sacrificing IQ, I think it's a good move.

You might also want to talk to PentaxForums/FredMiranda user Todd Adamson, as he's recently added a K-5 kit to his existing D3 setup.
I recognize you.....and keep going back to a post you did in the alt forum. Those K5 shots you posted were amazing. Since then Todd and Andrew (snowboarder) have also posted unbelievable images and I had to check it out. I have also talked to Todd as we go back and forth quite a bit in the Nikon forum and it sounds like I will give the K5 a shot. I will keep the D700 with a couple lenses while trying out the K5. I may just do D700 + 24-70 & 70-200 VRII kit and a Pentax prime kit.

If your goal is to reduce your kit size/expenses without sacrificing IQ
This is it
01-11-2011, 12:22 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote

Also, notice that most of those that keep saying that you wont get as good autofocus with the Pentax system does not have the K-5 on their list. It appears that Pentax have finally bothered to invest enough to catch up with a large part of the difference to Canon/Nikon. I'm not saying that they yet have an autofocus that match the pro-models of Canikon... they don't have (yet) a pro-model, and you don't pay that price for a K-5 either, but the difference between the K-5 autofocus and that of comparable Canon/Nikon models appears to be small.

Good luck!
Sorry but as much as I love my K-5, imo the AF is not as fast as the Canon 7D/Nikon D300s.

01-11-2011, 02:30 PM   #35
Veteran Member

The D700 is a very, very nice camera, though...

I guess I will sell a lens or two (maybe the two Zeiss lenses) and buy the K5 and a lens or two to try out. I really want a take everywhere camera (which the K5 sounds like it is and the D700 certainly ISN'T) so maybe it is best to just go with two systems until I figure out if the Pentax really is for me...

I really think this is your best bet - you'll be able to buy a K-5 and a couple excellent lenses with what you get from selling only a couple of your Nikon lenses there. It's juts a big hit in a lot of ways to give up a wonderful FF kit like you already have...

I know that 24 1.4 is huge, but there's nothing remotely like that on Pentax, or available in it's full glory on any aps-c format.

Here's one suggested dual-system you could shoot in transition:

Keep:

D700
Nikon 24 f/1.4
Sigma 50 f/1.4
Nikon 85 f/1.4

Sell:

Zeiss 21 f/2.8 (net $1400?)
Zeiss 100 f/2 (net $1400?)
Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VRII (net $1500?)

Buy:

K-5 ($1400)

DA 15 f/4 Limited ($500)
FA 31 f/1.8 Limited ($900)
FA 77 f/1.8 Limited ($850)
Sigma 50-150 f/2.8 ($750) (or DA 50-135 f/2.8)

Personally I've mitigated the 'size' issue with my D700 by shooting the 20 2.8, 50 1.8 and 85 1.8 and 180 2.8 all the time - very good to superb IQ, and fairly small in relation to their f/1.4 or zoom equivalents.

But my Pentax Limited primes are sublime. You do need to try a few of those out.

Good luck!

01-11-2011, 02:42 PM   #36
Pentaxian

The DA 21 is an exceptional lens, like the DA 70 f:2.4 (better and smaller than 77)

QuoteOriginally posted by pentup Quote
I've read that the dynamic range of the K5 is superb -- how would it compare with a full-frame camera?
Here you can compare with other cameras : DXOMark...

Last edited by fs999; 01-11-2011 at 02:48 PM.
01-11-2011, 03:04 PM   #37
Inactive Account

DxOMark - Compare sensors

Factor in that ISO also...thats why you may wanna just grab a D7000 along with your D700...Up to you. jsherman999 idea is also pretty good.
01-12-2011, 12:00 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Pentax K-5 on paras, ja aina paremmaksi kehittyy.

01-12-2011, 01:03 PM   #39
Pentaxian

I'd say forget the new lens, save that money and upgrade to the D800 when it comes out.
01-12-2011, 02:14 PM   #40
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I'd say forget the new lens, save that money and upgrade to the D800 when it comes out.
Is the D800 supposed to be a lot smaller than the D700?
01-12-2011, 02:53 PM   #41

Original Poster
Image quality is not what I want to upgrade...its the size (or downgrade I should say). Image quality on the D700 is fantastic and I could care less how many more bells and whistles are in the D800 or whatever comes out next if its the same size. I want a take everywhere excellent IQ camera. I'm leaning more on the side of wait....and see what else is coming out in the near term. I don't need anything today, I have time.
01-12-2011, 03:02 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Image quality is not what I want to upgrade...its the size (or downgrade I should say). Image quality on the D700 is fantastic and I could care less how many more bells and whistles are in the D800 or whatever comes out next if its the same size. I want a take everywhere excellent IQ camera. I'm leaning more on the side of wait....and see what else is coming out in the near term. I don't need anything today, I have time.
A K-5 won't fit in your pocket either. So you need a camera bag anyway and I don't see how a 15% reduction (guessing) in body size makes or breaks the situation. I can't empathize with the size situation since I shoot medium format cameras a lot and to me all these DSLR cameras are small except those few FF ones.

Last edited by tuco; 01-12-2011 at 03:23 PM.
01-12-2011, 04:21 PM   #43

Photos: Albums
Zeiss 21 f/2.8
Zeiss 100 f/2
dont throw your zeiss... i think you can combine with Nikon Adapter to pentax
( if your Zeiss come with nikon Mount) otherless.... with sigma and nikon can you put it side away just get limited lens here to fullfill your demand...
let say
85 with 77mm or
50 er with 43 mm
trust me ...combine with K-5 ...
you wouldnt regret it ...
01-12-2011, 08:55 PM   #44
Pentaxian

A K-5 won't fit in your pocket either. So you need a camera bag anyway and I don't see how a 15% reduction (guessing) in body size makes or breaks the situation. I can't empathize with the size situation since I shoot medium format cameras a lot and to me all these DSLR cameras are small except those few FF ones.
For what it's worth, the K-5's body is 31% lighter, and 33% smaller in volume compared to the D700. This can be a significant difference, especially when considering lenses too.

I manage to carry the K-5 and 3 lenses (3 primes, 2 primes and a zoom, or even 2 zooms and a prime with some creative arrangement) in a relatively small bag, which I would have a hard time seeing some of the larger Canon/Nikon bodies fitting into comfortably. I take this bag absolutely everywhere, from college to hiking up mountains, and I barely notice the weight (the whole thing, including accessories and weight of the bag itself, is usually no more than 5 lbs).
01-12-2011, 08:57 PM   #45
Veteran Member

+1

I have a grip (cheapo one) on my K7 for the extra bulk it gives... makes the camera much nicer to hang onto otherwise my little finger has no where to sit and I don't have large hands.