Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-12-2011, 09:04 PM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rsolti13 Quote
...... I love the Zeiss look and see that in a lot of the Ltd lenses. ....
You can maintain the Zeiss look via 2 different routs. Zeiss is closing out its ZK line of lenses, however they are the same size, essentially with the K mount, and the same price.

The other path is going back in time a bit to the old Contax Carl Zeiss lenses - mainly the Distagon T*. The coatings may be a slightly different - older, some of the lenses are just a pricey as the newer ones (especially the 18mm and 21mm). However the 25, 28 and 35mm all f2.8, are pretty reasonable, although you have to search them out and acquire. You also have to change the mount from the C/Y to K - there are no adapters. There is a kit available with a procedure, or I know of a couple folks who can do the change. The drawback is that the parts come from Spain, and I have been waiting about 8 weeks for the mount kit - everything is backed up in Customs according to the tracking information. I am estimating that my cost will be about 1/3 of the new ZK lens (the main difference being the new lens is f2 and 20 year old Contax is f2.8). Here is some information....

Last edited by interested_observer; 01-12-2011 at 09:12 PM.
01-13-2011, 10:13 AM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rsolti13 Quote
Image quality is not what I want to upgrade...its the size (or downgrade I should say). Image quality on the D700 is fantastic and I could care less how many more bells and whistles are in the D800 or whatever comes out next if its the same size. I want a take everywhere excellent IQ camera. I'm leaning more on the side of wait....and see what else is coming out in the near term. I don't need anything today, I have time.
I don't think this approach would hurt you at all, as the price of the K-5 is only going to go down. The only exception to this is if you plan on selling your D700, as now would probably be the best time to get maximum value out of that camera. I would expect the value of that camera to hold pretty well, but it should drop when its replacement finally comes out. I base this thought on what happened to the Canon 5D resale value after the 5d Mark II came out.
01-13-2011, 11:38 AM - 1 Like   #48

I have a Nikon D3s and I've recently ordered a K5 with a few primes. (Selling a couple of Nikon lens to fund the purchase) Could not be happier with the Nikon but find that many times I just don't take it with me because of the size. I've owned a K10 and look forward to having a K5 that will be easier to use on outings (hikes, family gathering etc). Not taking a camera with you is just about like not having a camera I'll keep the D3s for studio stuff and the grandkids low light school events.
01-15-2011, 11:51 AM   #49
Inactive Account

Hello and welcome Jim

Quick question - from what you know of the Pentax system how would you evaluate it FOR wedding photography if someone were to decide to use one for that?

I am considering what to use for wedding photography and am considering using a D700 for it. Ideally I would like to keep the Pentax system and use it as a mismatched second body if I can afford to do so. The price of entry to a pro Nikon system is steep - and I am dying to get a Nikon 85G and a secondarily a 24G.

Also, system flash is better on Nikon but I believe I could become proficient enough with all manual radio slaved system of flash.

The replacement of the d700 should be quite a camera as well - but that 85G is the stuff of love/lust/ excellence that I am finding more and more to be a must have at some point

QuoteOriginally posted by Jim Olson Quote
I am in the process of selling my Canon lenses and camera and moving to the K5 so I think I can understand your reasoning for switching. I recently decided to not photograph weddings any longer professionally and want a smaller system for my own personal shooting . Once I saw and held a K5 in the camera store I knew this was the camera I was going to purchase next. I am moving from some heavy L lenses and am not reluctant at all to switch.

Jim Olson

01-15-2011, 01:45 PM   #50
Veteran Member

You can't replace those lenses you have on FX with limited on the K-5. Sorry, I love the Limited lenses but the Ziess especially do things on FX that no DX/Crop camera can reproduce. (personal opinion of course, but those fast, high micro contrast lenses pop on FX)

That being said. Pentax rocks and if you really just want to step up/down to a smaller lighter body, then do it. Honestly its up to you what you want to do and where you want to take your photography. Personally I take my D700 with me all day everyday. I typically only shoot with a 50/single prime these days and no grip... I don't think its a burden at all.

I think you'll be very happy with Pentax. They make incredible cameras and lenses, my personal favorites are the DA*50-135, DA Limited 77mm, DA Limited 15mm, DA Limtied 35mm, and the FA Limited 31mm. The DA*16-50 gets a lot of hell, but I loved it too. If I were going to pick up a K-5 today I know for a fact I would get the DA*55 and the DA Limited 35mm Macro. I am decidedly more of a prime guy... owning Pentax made me that way after owning the SMC-M trio I really fell in love with primes and manual focus.

Also, don't forget the same sensor and performance can be had from a D7000 which is of similar size (only saying that if you want to save your lenses).
01-15-2011, 01:57 PM   #51
Veteran Member

With a kit investment like that, this is a fairly big decision. Have you considered renting a K-5 and a couple of those lenses for a few days and seeing how you like it?
01-15-2011, 01:58 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timh Quote
With a kit investment like that, this is a fairly big decision. Have you considered renting a K-5 and a couple of those lenses for a few days and seeing how you like it?
Very wise, I agree.

01-16-2011, 05:20 AM   #53

Inspector, I don't think I would hesitate to use the pentax for weddings. The size of the camera and the lenses would be a welcome change from the larger bodies and
lenses of both Canon and Nikon. I might use the Nikon D700 for the formals and then use the Pentax for all the candids the rest of the day. Nikon has an excellent flash system but the Pentax would be more than adequate
Jim