Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2011, 06:05 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
PALADIN85020's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 405
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by oliver939 Quote
thanks for the answers.
Nothing against the TAv, just trying to understand it's interest and in which situation it would be worth's to use (I just upgraded my k100ds with a K5 and have a lot to discover ).
Here's a situation in which it comes in handy. I'll be at my grandson's H.S. graduation this weekend. It will be held in a large college basketball pit with not-so-great lighting. I'll probably be in the nosebleed section, way up and away from where he'll be getting his diploma. With the K5, I'll use my Pentax 18-250mm lens (equivalent to 375mm max in 35mm format). I'll have to handhold the camera.

I'll set the mode to TAv.

I'll set the aperture to max wide, which will be f/6.3 with this lens at that extension.

I'll then set the shutter speed to minimize camera shake, and enjoy the shake reduction feature of the camera, which should give about another two stops advantage. I'll start with 1/200 sec.; that will probably be sufficient.

The camera will select the appropriate ISO to give a good exposure. I get very good quality at ISO 3200 with the K5, but it can push the ISO way beyond that that; I'm comfortable with higher ISOs with this camera, and can always tone down the noise in post processing. The K5 is ideal for this, and the TAv mode is the ideal mode.

With the large 16 megapixel images the K5 offers, I can crop creatively to get the exact pictures I will want for the family.

A couple of years ago I struggled with my Pentax K200D to take similar pictures at a granddaughter's graduation from college with a 200mm lens. Some were usable (barely), and most were not. I could get nowhere near the quality of pictures and the high ISOs possible with the K5.

You have an amazing camera with great capabilities. The TAv mode is one of the super tricks it features.

John

05-24-2011, 11:09 AM   #47
Junior Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 37
TAv is now my go-to mode for outdoor shooting. Since I'm usually shooting fast moving subjects (toddlers), I want to set a fast shutter. In Tv mode (or P-mode after adjusting shutter), this will often throw the aperture wide open which I may or may not want, depending on the shot.

Letting the sensitivity be set automatically for the fluctuating light when moving around outside is perfect.

Indoors, I've got more controlled lighting and often use a bounce flash, so I like to use M.
05-24-2011, 12:43 PM   #48
Veteran Member
rfortson's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Houston TX
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,129
QuoteOriginally posted by oliver939 Quote
thanks for the answers.
Nothing against the TAv, just trying to understand it's interest and in which situation it would be worth's to use (I just upgraded my k100ds with a K5 and have a lot to discover ).
I used to wonder the same thing, but I think jsteve is correct in that auto ISO is not available in manual exposure on any brand. Hence the usefulness of TAv mode.
05-24-2011, 10:16 PM   #49
MSM
Veteran Member
MSM's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Alabama
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 994
I'm curious as to whether any of the Tav users add exposure compensation. It has been awhile since I had my k10d. I remember that basically all images are going to be exposed to 18% grey. Anyone take pictures at the beach or in the snow using Tav without needing exp compensation? That was my problem with the mode along with not wanting an ISO over 400-800. Maybe people are just fixing it in PP.

05-24-2011, 10:20 PM   #50
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,407
QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
I'm curious as to whether any of the Tav users add exposure compensation. It has been awhile since I had my k10d. I remember that basically all images are going to be exposed to 18% grey. Anyone take pictures at the beach or in the snow using Tav without needing exp compensation? That was my problem with the mode along with not wanting an ISO over 400-800. Maybe people are just fixing it in PP.
I routinely use exposure compensation to correct for situations that would fool the meter, regardless of the exposure *mode*. Except manual, where I just dial in the variance from the in-camera meter I expect to need. I would expect anyone shooting TAv routinely would do the same thing.
05-25-2011, 07:53 PM   #51
MSM
Veteran Member
MSM's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Alabama
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 994
QuoteOriginally posted by jstevewhite Quote
I routinely use exposure compensation to correct for situations that would fool the meter, regardless of the exposure *mode*. Except manual, where I just dial in the variance from the in-camera meter I expect to need. I would expect anyone shooting TAv routinely would do the same thing.
Agreed. I guess my point was that this thread was really focused on the speed and convenience of Tav mode. I find that having to add or subtract ev comp makes the process less of a breeze. I don't have a k7/5 so I don't know how much this adds. But I would imagine it is a little tedious as both edials are spoken for.
05-25-2011, 10:00 PM   #52
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,407
QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
Agreed. I guess my point was that this thread was really focused on the speed and convenience of Tav mode. I find that having to add or subtract ev comp makes the process less of a breeze. I don't have a k7/5 so I don't know how much this adds. But I would imagine it is a little tedious as both edials are spoken for.
Nah, there's a little button right under my right index finger near the shutter. But I'm not certain how you'd avoid using exposure compensation in any mode but manual; in-camera metering is still... easily fooled.
05-26-2011, 03:49 AM   #53
New Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 20
QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
I used to wonder the same thing, but I think jsteve is correct in that auto ISO is not available in manual exposure on any brand. Hence the usefulness of TAv mode.
Auto ISO is available in M on my Nikon D40. I read somewhere that it's not available in M on Sony cameras.

05-26-2011, 06:34 AM   #54
Pentaxian
Designosophy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Northeast Philadelphia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,098
The discussion of EV adjustment in TAv mode underscores the fact that it's still helpful to learn your zones, even with the most advanced in-camera auto exposure. I'm pointing at me as well. I understand the concept of exposure zones, but I haven't really put it into practice.
05-26-2011, 06:38 AM   #55
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,407
QuoteOriginally posted by Designosophy Quote
The discussion of EV adjustment in TAv mode underscores the fact that it's still helpful to learn your zones, even with the most advanced in-camera auto exposure. I'm pointing at me as well. I understand the concept of exposure zones, but I haven't really put it into practice.
Hehe... I live and die by my +/- button. I love where they moved it to on the K-5. How do you shoot in high contrast situations without +/-?
05-26-2011, 08:27 AM   #56
Pentaxian
Designosophy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Northeast Philadelphia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,098
QuoteOriginally posted by jstevewhite Quote
Hehe... I live and die by my +/- button. I love where they moved it to on the K-5. How do you shoot in high contrast situations without +/-?
I know I'd still have to do a good bit of EV adjustment; but maybe a bit less than I do right now.
05-26-2011, 08:04 PM   #57
MSM
Veteran Member
MSM's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Alabama
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 994
@jstevewright, Designosophy: Great points. I agree. I tend to use manual mode with spot metering. I try for a modified (5 )zone system. Then I usually set my aperture and adjust my shutter speed on the (only) edial on the Kx while watching the exposure indicator to match my desired tone.
05-26-2011, 08:20 PM   #58
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Frozen white North
Photos: Albums
Posts: 845
Is this really such a unique feature that many other cameras don't allow you to set both shutter AND aperture manually?
05-26-2011, 09:29 PM   #59
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,407
QuoteOriginally posted by sebberry Quote
Is this really such a unique feature that many other cameras don't allow you to set both shutter AND aperture manually?
No, not at all. The question was related to TAv specifically, where the shutter speed and aperture are manually controlled and the camera automatically adjusts the ISO to give proper exposure. I don't know for certain the status now, but when the feature appeared on the Pentax line, the autoiso on the other lines (according, as I recall, to dpreview) was limited to Av mode... Even if the other cameras have now caught up, it's still incredibly useful with the new sensor that's in the K-5, D7000, and D5000.
05-28-2011, 12:37 AM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
JimD's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Newport, South Wales
Posts: 164
As someone who has just come into dslr's and used MX and Spotmatics for the last 35+ years TAv seems the most natural setting to me
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, hand, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, mode, pentax k-5, shutter, tav
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Using the TAv mode with the K7 ... question. jpzk Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 10 11-22-2010 07:10 PM
TAv mode Howard2k Pentax DSLR Discussion 17 09-23-2010 01:30 PM
Tav mode amaruba Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 8 05-21-2009 11:59 AM
TaV mode Papou Photographic Technique 3 02-11-2008 10:03 PM
TAV mode is so cool!!! regken Pentax DSLR Discussion 3 04-11-2007 08:12 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:33 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top