Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2011, 11:20 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Used the TAv mode today - cool!

I wasn't really sure if I would ever use this particular mode on the K-5, but I did find it useful today. I wanted to take a quick, sharp shot of an object about the size of one's hand, but didn't want to go to the trouble of setting up a tripod.

The TAv mode allows you choose both the aperture and the shutter speed. The camera chooses the ISO necessary to make the shot.

I chose 1/250 shutter speed to minimize camera shake when hand held, and f/8 for decent depth of field. The camera chose ISO 300, and the shot came out quite well, sharp and with great DOF as I intended. I see this mode as being an asset on the K-5 since it performs so beautifully with great IQ at higher ISOs.

It's a useful mode in circumstances like this, and I'm glad Pentax chose to include it in the K-5's "bag of tricks."

01-11-2011, 11:24 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This mode is a little hard to figure out but agreed, it's right in there as part of the bag of tricks.

Sv mode is even more interesting. I use this in nighttime settings.
01-11-2011, 11:58 AM   #3

TAv is the best!

QuoteOriginally posted by PALADIN85020 Quote
It's a useful mode in circumstances like this, and I'm glad Pentax chose to include it in the K-5's "bag of tricks."
I almost use nothing else than TAv since I got the K20D and on. It is like having a manual camera but with all the modern electronic tools to make it as easy as possible but also to add a number of special features. And it is the best way to optimally control f, t and ISO at the same time. Then, with all the new five User modes, the K-5 is a marvellous camera, I must say! I have one user mode where there is no noise reduction in the camera and ISO is limited (!) to 6400. Next user mode is with max. ISO 640 for flash photos. Two others have ISO 12800 and highest possible ISO with increasing internal noise reduction, respectively. The fifth one is as the first but without the shadow reduction. The RAW/Fx is for multiexposure situations. This setup meets my needs perfectly.

Last edited by Staffan; 01-11-2011 at 12:51 PM.
01-11-2011, 12:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

This mode has been on the K10D years ago - it is a feature that only high-end DSLR has in the past. It is also equivalent to Nikon's auto-iso feature, same thing but implemented differently.

01-11-2011, 04:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
One instance where TAv is useful is birding and wildlife shooting with a long tele. You can set the optimal shutter speed to minimize handshake or freeze subject movement and set the aperture to determine the DOF needed and let the camera work out the ISO. Great with the K-5's high ISO capability.
01-11-2011, 07:06 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
One instance where TAv is useful is birding and wildlife shooting with a long tele. You can set the optimal shutter speed to minimize handshake or freeze subject movement and set the aperture to determine the DOF needed and let the camera work out the ISO. Great with the K-5's high ISO capability.
I have one of my USER settings is for TAv, shake reduction off, ISO to 12,800. I've renamed this "Birding" so that I no longer need to remember to turn off SR when the tripod is in use. I try to stop down a couple of stops for some help with DOF, and set the shutter speed high enough to freeze the birds and I'm happy.
01-11-2011, 08:19 PM   #7
Forum Member

Before I bought the K-5 I almost always used P or Av. Now with the K-5's high ISO capability I've found that I'm using the TAv more and more and that I'm getting sharper photos because I'm thinking about both the shutter speed and aperture. I almost don't have to worry about the ISO at all. I really like it. I haven't used the User Settings yet but I plan on maybe having presets for street photography, birds in flight, night cityscapes, etc.

01-11-2011, 09:15 PM   #8

How about some photo samples?
01-12-2011, 01:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I used to shoot TAv exclusively but since the K-x which has only one dial and no TAv mode I've not really gone back to TAv with the K-5 for some reason.

TAv would be much more useful on a K-5 too which the greater useful ISO range.

I guess Av is just easier ;-)
01-12-2011, 02:08 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by foxhead Quote
Before I bought the K-5 I almost always used P or Av. Now with the K-5's high ISO capability I've found that I'm using the TAv more and more and that I'm getting sharper photos because I'm thinking about both the shutter speed and aperture. I almost don't have to worry about the ISO at all. I really like it.
Exactly the same for me.
01-12-2011, 04:10 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As mentioned the TAv mode was already available on the K10.
The only problem is you have to figure out the high ISO limit so you don't end up with noisy pictures. On the K10 I never went higher than 1200, but with the K7 I may use 3200.
The TAv mode is wonderfull for sports/action shooting since I have full control over shutterspeed (freeze action) and aperture (DOF) and leave ISO setting for the camera to get the correctly exposed pictures.
01-12-2011, 10:33 AM   #12
Veteran Member

With TAv you use shutter speed and aperture needed for the shot, then the camera selects the ISO (in the preset Auto ISO range) to give proper exposure . I use TAv most of the time except when using flash .
In TAv with 2 e-dial wheels, you can quickly change shutter speed and aperture to get the image you want, like in this image I wanted to catch the bird's wings .

01-12-2011, 11:33 AM   #13
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

For changing light situations, like my Squirrel shooting, I love SV, and use it most often. I'm not as worried about noise as I am getting the shot, but this setting gives me the best of choices.
Regards!
01-12-2011, 03:19 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I wouldn't use TAv with the K7 because of it's poor high ISO handling so used manual exposure for 90% of my shots ... however now that the K5 has excellent high ISO I am using this mode at least 50% of the time now. It definitely helps me get more shots as I don't have to keep adjusting the ISO if I got it wrong first time round.
01-12-2011, 06:07 PM   #15

I picked up the K-5 just before Christmas and discovered TAv shortly there after. I've been playing with it alot since I discovered it. But before I got a K-5 i really did not understand what it was.