Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2011, 08:03 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use TAv when shooting aerial pictures. To make sure I get a fast shutter to avoid camera shake (caused by user-shake caused by airplane-shake!), and to be able to use F8. This mode works great for me specially with the low noise of the K5, and I even used it with the K20D.

01-14-2011, 03:10 PM   #17
Forum Member

Sorry, this is a cross post, but all these shots were done in TAv mode (which I love for sports). Some of them I even pushed the shutter speed up to 1/6400 (overkill, but I was shooting fast moving objects at around 700mm).

Here is my contribution. I only had one good day with the K-5 before the season was over, but I've also had a chance to shot some super low-light aps-c (dance recital) with great results too. Sorry for the low contrast images, it wasn't the camera or the lens, it was just a very hazy day (I have versions with pp to fix it, but these are straight from camera).

APS-C; 5 point; sigma 100-300; f 4; 1/6400; ISO 800

First a rapid fire series (I have a lot of goods ones from this day but too much trouble uploading all of them):

Touchdown!!!

Second, a couple of my favorite action shots from a day of shooting on TAv mode (like the above series), which is a pentax only option which my canikoner sports shooting friends are very jealous of (with a bit of post):

01-14-2011, 04:30 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Those last two shots are great!
04-10-2011, 06:56 AM   #19

TAv Mode

QuoteOriginally posted by petti Quote
I picked up the K-5 just before Christmas and discovered TAv shortly there after. I've been playing with it alot since I discovered it. But before I got a K-5 i really did not understand what it was.
I've had TAv mode since I got my K10D in 2008. That and Sv mode were one of the reasons I got the camera in the first place. Since it was my first DSLR I figured the extra modes would be something I could grow into using once I understood the basics. As time went on I used the P, Av, a little M (when I got my Takumars) and even the Sv modes but not the TAv. But after reading yours and other posts here I may start using it more. Probably only outdoors as the K10D's maximum ISO is 1600, which is noisy and not too useful indoors. I need a newer Pentax camera! ISO 3200, 6400, 12,800? I know nothing of these...

04-10-2011, 08:49 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
Those last two shots are great!
They are indeed. Great shots!!
04-11-2011, 01:28 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Wow, what a treat! thanks for sharing!
04-11-2011, 02:47 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
When i make macro shots, i use exclusively the TAV mode, it's just perfect for that kind of photos.

04-11-2011, 05:12 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benisona Quote
Second, a couple of my favorite action shots ...
Absolutely love the second to last!
04-11-2011, 06:36 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I only wish there was a mode like TAv that set minimum shutter speed instead of shutter speed directly. This can sort of be implemented with Av and Auto-ISO speed, but the options (slow/med/fast) are too limited in application and too hard to quickly adjust.

With a mode like this, I could set minimum shutter speed dependent on my lens focal length/SR combination for still life, and then quickly bump the min speed up to 1/200 or so for kid snaps.

My main grievence with TAv is that I'm constantly hitting the green button to reset my shutter speed to get best ISO. I typically don't care about the actual shutter speed, just as long as it's fast enough to get a sharp capture.

Anyone else think this would be useful?
04-11-2011, 08:36 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
I only wish there was a mode like TAv that set minimum shutter speed instead of shutter speed directly. This can sort of be implemented with Av and Auto-ISO speed, but the options (slow/med/fast) are too limited in application and too hard to quickly adjust.

<snip>

Anyone else think this would be useful?
I'm not certain I understand your complaint... you want lower ISO, just dial back your aperture and/or shutter speed - you can do both without taking the camera from your eye, and it will scale back ISO automagically as you adjust to higher exposure values. In TAv you manually control both shutter speed and aperture, so for your application, you should be able to set your shutter speed where you want it and just dial aperture back and forth to control depth of field and ISO.
04-11-2011, 09:18 AM   #26
Forum Member

I have used TAv a bit - but I've started to use Manual a lot more - I love the fact that I can play with exposure and then press the green button to get me back to a known point at any time. It's pretty powerful if you combine it with the Program setting in the menu as well.. it responds differently to a press of the green button depending on what Program setting you have in the menu. It's a pretty unique Pentax feature and I love it..
04-12-2011, 04:47 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just did a couple of "quick" shots using the TAv mode. This was my dog Joe lying in the doorway to our house. I set the speed for 1/125, the aperture at f/8, and let the K-5 do the rest. It selected ISO 1600, which with this camera is still quite usable with not a lot of noise. I used the color extraction filter feature of the K-5 to extract the color of his eyes on the first shot. I love this camera!

John

04-13-2011, 06:24 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jstevewhite Quote
I'm not certain I understand your complaint... you want lower ISO, just dial back your aperture and/or shutter speed - you can do both without taking the camera from your eye, and it will scale back ISO automagically as you adjust to higher exposure values. In TAv you manually control both shutter speed and aperture, so for your application, you should be able to set your shutter speed where you want it and just dial aperture back and forth to control depth of field and ISO.
My 2-yr old is faster than my e-wheel!

The problem I have is that while chasing my kids, if I set the shutter speed to 1/400 and want aperture fixed at f/2, my ISO will frequently blink at 100 signifying overexposure, or go up to ISO 2000 or more which is undesirable. If instead I could set the minimum shutter speed to 1/200, then the speed could vary freely over 1/200 to keep ISO at 100, or increase ISO to keep the shutter speed fast enough to catch my kid.
This is essentially Av mode with FAST auto-ISO speed. What I'd like to see is a mode (perhaps just a custom function), that lets the front scroll wheel adjust that minimum shutter speed. That way if while I'm shooting my kids, if I see a still life subject I want to shoot, I can just set the minimum shutter speed down to 1/lens focal length.

Hopefully this description makes more sense.
04-13-2011, 06:41 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
My 2-yr old is faster than my e-wheel!

The problem I have is that while chasing my kids, if I set the shutter speed to 1/400 and want aperture fixed at f/2, my ISO will frequently blink at 100 signifying overexposure, or go up to ISO 2000 or more which is undesirable. If instead I could set the minimum shutter speed to 1/200, then the speed could vary freely over 1/200 to keep ISO at 100, or increase ISO to keep the shutter speed fast enough to catch my kid.
This is essentially Av mode with FAST auto-ISO speed. What I'd like to see is a mode (perhaps just a custom function), that lets the front scroll wheel adjust that minimum shutter speed. That way if while I'm shooting my kids, if I see a still life subject I want to shoot, I can just set the minimum shutter speed down to 1/lens focal length.

Hopefully this description makes more sense.
Ooh, wait, I see. You want to set a minimum shutter speed and let it range upward when you hit the bottom of the ISO scale. You know you can change what the wheels do, right? Sounds to me like you should try hyperprogram with the fast setting with auto-ISO set to 80-1600 (if that's what you want the top of the range to be). And (I can't remember offhand) set the front dial to shutter speed so you can override quickly. Or just use shutter priority with auto ISO set to the appropriate range.
04-13-2011, 03:37 PM   #30
dmc
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PALADIN85020 Quote
Just did a couple of "quick" shots using the TAv mode. This was my dog Joe lying in the doorway to our house. I set the speed for 1/125, the aperture at f/8, and let the K-5 do the rest. It selected ISO 1600, which with this camera is still quite usable with not a lot of noise. I used the color extraction filter feature of the K-5 to extract the color of his eyes on the first shot. I love this camera!

John

Great shots of your dog! Thanks.