Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2011, 09:05 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
K-5 strange behavior/firmware bug??

Greetings,
Have had my K-5 about a month now. Pretty familiar with it's operation so far. Was shooting today and set for live view with the internal flash. Camera focusses and gave the beep, press shutter further and...... Nothing, no shutter release. Push flash down, no problem, shutter fires. Flash up without live view, it's all good, shutter and exposure fine.
Tried several modes, green, tv, av, p all same result. Flash up and live view no shutter release.
Anyone can try this and confirm please? I have latest firmware 1.02 installed.

Thanks

01-12-2011, 09:16 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Mine works as expected. Push button, LV focus does it's thing, camera takes picture with flash.
What kind of shape is your battery in?
01-12-2011, 09:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Have you tried a battery pull to "reset" the camera?

I had mine completely freeze a few random times, only a battery pull fixed the problem.

Pat
01-12-2011, 10:21 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My LV works the same, flash up or down.

It also locks up half the time when the grip is attached and one battery runs down when the shutter is pressed and instead of switching to the other, as ve2vfd said, it takes dropping all the batteries for the shutter to even close. Bleh!

01-12-2011, 10:28 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
My LV works the same, flash up or down.

It also locks up half the time when the grip is attached and one battery runs down when the shutter is pressed and instead of switching to the other, as ve2vfd said, it takes dropping all the batteries for the shutter to even close. Bleh!
Thanks for checking.
I did some more experimenting and found that if custom function C3-20 'Release while flash is charging' is set to ON, then during live view the shutter fires ok with the flash. But, with the function set to it's default (OFF), where the shutter won't fire until the flash is charged, then my k-5 wont fire, no matter how long I wait for the flash to charge, while in live view with the flash on. Again, without live view the shutter and flash fire just fine with C3-20 set to it's default.
I'm sure the camera should not behave this way. Weather in live view or not, if the function is set to the factory default, the shutter should fire once the flash is charged. It's as if the system doesn't know that the flash is charged in live view.
Could anyone verify this?
01-12-2011, 10:35 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Something else is different between our cams then since mine fires sequentially pretty fast in LV and C3-20 set to the default.
01-12-2011, 11:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biphers Quote
Greetings,
Have had my K-5 about a month now. Pretty familiar with it's operation so far. Was shooting today and set for live view with the internal flash. Camera focusses and gave the beep, press shutter further and...... Nothing, no shutter release. Push flash down, no problem, shutter fires. Flash up without live view, it's all good, shutter and exposure fine.
Tried several modes, green, tv, av, p all same result. Flash up and live view no shutter release.
Anyone can try this and confirm please? I have latest firmware 1.02 installed.

Thanks
mines doing the same thing..fully charged battery ...

01-14-2011, 12:01 AM   #8

what sort of battery are you using? generic or Pentax?
01-14-2011, 02:07 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Im using Pentax

I had another go at this last night...and sure enough My K5 will not take a image if the flash is "up"

I had to take The OP's advise and tick the box, 'Release while flash is charging' for it too work

Battery is freshly charged...
01-14-2011, 05:17 AM   #10
Veteran Member

That's a firmware 1.02 bug.
It worked with 1.01. At least so I have been told.
The problem is only with SDM lenses, I think.
01-14-2011, 08:15 AM   #11
Veteran Member

well mines a HSM lens..so the SDM thought works for me ..I dont have a Non HSM lens to test right now
01-14-2011, 10:28 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
That's a firmware 1.02 bug.
It worked with 1.01. At least so I have been told.
The problem is only with SDM lenses, I think.
Sorry but I think you're wrong on this. I've got 1.02 installed and it works as normal when using LV with flash. No problems with either SDM or screw driven lenses used. And I'm not even using the original Pentax battery.
01-14-2011, 11:35 AM   #13
Veteran Member

And you don't have 'Release while flash is charging' checked?
01-14-2011, 07:10 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
And you don't have 'Release while flash is charging' checked?
Its turned off on my camera.
01-14-2011, 07:29 PM   #15
Veteran Member

thought Id take another look at my K5...Mine was set to AFC...now its back to AFS it works fine in LV with flash...and thats with the 'Release while flash is charging' unchecked..to fire while in AFC..the box needs to be checked..on mine anyway