Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2011, 09:22 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shutter release half-press issue?

Hi there, everyone. I'm a new member of the forum, having just moved to the K-5 from the Olympus e-system. The camera has been great so far - no sensor issues etc. There is one question I have though.

The button half-press on the camera seems to function all right, but it seems like there is almost no action compared to other cameras I have owned. To activate the half-press takes but the lightest touch. The lens focuses, the camera beeps to confirm, but there is no click or anything to otherwise let me know I have actually performed the half-press. Pushing the button down further causes it to click and activates the shutter, but the button seems strangely mushy.

Watching the button, if I take my finger off the half press, sometimes the button pops back out, but other times, it just kind of slowly rises back into its original position.

Is this behavior normal? There have been a few occasions where I have locked in focus, thinking my finger is still half- pressing button, and it has suddenly refocused and beeped again, which I suspect might be part of the same problem.

01-13-2011, 10:00 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Welcome to the club and welcome to the forum. No, in my experience, there is no tactile click on the shutter button. It took some getting use to with my first one as I came from a film SLR to the K10d (4 years ago). Then again, maybe it's my touch.

You Can disable the half press in the custom menu and use the AF button to focus. Some find this easier to use.

Enjoy the camera.

01-13-2011, 11:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

If your button slowly rises back at times and not at other times, I would consider it a production fault (on a new camera).
01-13-2011, 11:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

None of the stores near where I live carries Pentax. Can anyone tell me whether the shutter button is like the D7000/7D where it's kinda squishy or it is clicky...

Thanks

01-14-2011, 06:30 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses. I think I might have to take a trip to the local camera store and see if they have a demo model to which I can compare it . Like I said, the camera had been great so far otherwise, so if it's simply a design decision on Pentax's part, so be it. I'll just have to get used to it!
01-14-2011, 06:33 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Also @ JeffJS:

A little off-topic, but I saw the little banner for the "K-20 Infrared" in your sig. Am I right in thinking that it is that an aftermarket conversion that removes the internal IR filter to allow true IR shooting?
01-14-2011, 11:19 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Also @ JeffJS:

A little off-topic, but I saw the little banner for the "K-20 Infrared" in your sig. Am I right in thinking that it is that an aftermarket conversion that removes the internal IR filter to allow true IR shooting?
Yes, it's a conversion camera with 720nm pass filter in place of the AA filter. I can use it as a regular camera without an IR filter on the lens.

K20d Infrared - a set on Flickr

It came from an ebay seller in China who lists them once in awhile. All brands it seems and I believe he'll work special order (there are people in the USA that will do it too).

01-14-2011, 06:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Can anyone answer my question?

01-14-2011, 11:20 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
@Eagle_Friends

Well, as I said below. mine certainly is squishier than what I am used to coming from Olympus, but I can't say whether it is supposed to be that way without comparing it to another K-5.

How it compares to current Canikon models, I also couldn't say without all three in front of me.

If I get a chance to hit the camera store this weekend, I will do a comparison. In the meantime, can anyone else chime in?
01-14-2011, 11:41 PM   #10

Photos: Albums
well, i just bought a k-x, and the shutter button its the same like in yours, at the slightest touch, it activate the half press. before the k-x i had a fuji bridge and it work with a true half press, so it feels wierd, but nothing that bothers me, just got use to it.
01-17-2011, 04:29 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Just wanted to let everyone else know that I got to check another K5 body, and it does seem that my "problem" with the light half-press resistance was simply the result of the Pentax button's design. Also, to answer the other question posed by Eagle_Friends in this thread, all the canon and nikon bodies I looked at definitely had a firmer half-press.
01-17-2011, 09:09 PM   #12
Forum Member

I had to get used to the K-5 shutter button too. Half-press is pretty much just placing your finger on the button. There is no click and barely any preceptible depression. The first "click" is the shutter. Definitely more "squishy" than Nikon. Now that I'm used to it, Nikon feels clunky. Once you use it a while, I'm sure you'll get used to it.
01-17-2011, 10:57 PM   #13
Veteran Member

My K-5 has a very clear halfway point. Or better said, I can push to a point where I feel resistance; light measuring already starts before that.

Pushing the shutter release button through this halfway point will take the picture.
01-18-2011, 06:54 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
the weight of my finger is enough to activate half press and the trigger is very light beyond that but requires slightly more force than just finger weight...you can also feel a distinct click for the actual shutter.

its basically perfect for very stable shooting, if it requires more force you could add camera shake.

id describe the half press as squishy but the final click is definitive.

If your finger is on the trigger, its a half press. If your finger is raised off on on the front dial or something its not a half press...

I think its perfect
01-19-2011, 02:20 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My K10D had a problem about a month ago where pressing the shutter halfway down does not "hold" the focus, but every now and then I lose focus as if the shutter button lost contact.

I took it apart and cleaned the shutter button, and everything now seems fine.

I can confirm the shutter button is just a piece of plastic (with some weather sealing) - there is no dampening of the button at all so any friction is due to the switch itself.

This should be the case for the K-5 as well. Any lag with the button coming back up could be due to the weather sealing being new? In which case the button should move more freely with time? Otherwise maybe worthwhile getting it fixed under warranty.