Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2011, 03:43 PM   #1
Forum Member

Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 zeros K5 battery level

currently having the opportunity to try this really nicely built lense (70-200 2.5 HSM II or so, not to forget MACRO...), I came across this: once the lense is mounted, the battery meter turns down quickly reaching red and indicating almost empty battery although it was almost fully charged, whereas the cam continues working. If I turn the lens just a few degrees to disconnect the contacts, the meter shows full battery again. In compensation, so to say, for this unexpected behaviour, I did not experience any focus imprecision in LV, that I heard of here or elsewhere before. Also did the AF work quite well in poor light with this lens, although I have to say, even -10 AF correcture wasn't enough to compensate for a minor fron focus; in fact, the AF-adjustment didn't seem to do anything for this lens (opposed to others).

Did anyone here experience the same with this lens?

thx -kai

ps- I am asking hoping to gain some reason to build up confidence, that my next K5 (it will be replaced due to stains issue) may be less or even not at all affected by all this.

Last edited by kasv; 01-14-2011 at 03:48 PM. Reason: addition
01-14-2011, 03:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've got the Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG HSM II and I've never had any such battery issues on any of my bodies (K10D, K-7, K-5). However, the lens doesn't lock AF in live view on the K-7 or K-5, but that's never bothered me.
01-14-2011, 04:20 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
thanks pop4, so it was probably you, whose comment I read on that LV issue. By locking focus you mean, it doesn't focus correctly or does it never come to an end focussing? This is no issue with my sample. BTW, it works fine with K20D, i.e. w/o lowering the battery meter.
01-14-2011, 04:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kasv Quote
By locking focus you mean, it doesn't focus correctly or does it never come to an end focussing?.
It will turn and try to focus, but will give up after a short while; i.e. focusing turns one way, turns the other, turns back the first way, then gives up. Like I said, never been a issue that's bothered me since I've barely touched LV.

01-14-2011, 11:34 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No battery problem with my Sigma 70-200 HSM
01-14-2011, 11:57 PM   #6
Forum Member

You need to find another K-5 or another 70-200 to see whether it's the body or the lens.
01-15-2011, 04:15 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
thanks guys, k5 will be replaced anyway, the lens will be returned the same way and after a while, I will get both replaced. Lets see what the outcome is then. k.
01-17-2011, 02:30 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I had the same problem changing in live view to movie mode with 50-135, suddenly the battery showed as empty. When I switched off and on the battery showed as fully charged...

01-17-2011, 04:33 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I have the same sigma, however never experienced that problem. Just sometimes camera strugles to find aperture value, but I cleaned contacts and now it goes smoothly
01-29-2011, 06:13 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Update

While the focus issues remain, the battery level normalized during usage. The mis-indication was potentially due to some lack of contact between lens and body. Overall, the lens seems quite attractive to me. During daytime, the focus issue (ff/bf @ different focal length) was less prevalent and could be overlooked in landscape work. Eager to see how it works out with a replaced k5; due to the stains issue, I sent it back to the dealer along with the lens, to start with a fresh couple once the k5 is fixed.