Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2011, 08:36 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, everyone. It sounds like unless im shooting in a studio setting (which im not) they are kinda pointless. A pretty slick idea though.

01-19-2011, 02:23 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Can anybody please confirm this card works with a K-5, what firmware the K5 is running, and what O/S they are running on the PC.

How does the card appear to the PC? Is it a normal networked device, or does it become visible only in some special application software?

Even though WIFI is slow, this functionality is handy for a lot of stuff.
01-19-2011, 04:54 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
peter: the card doesn't appear to the PC but vice versa. The card can talk to a router or if your PC wifi card can set up an Ad Hoc network, it can connect to that (but only WEP security is possible w/ Ad Hoc networks).

You can run an app on the PC to make it look like an ftp server to the eye fi and it will upload to it (there are lots of apps to do this...even open source ones). Or you can give the eye-fi internet access and it'll send files to a picasa site or some other sharing site.

Latest firmware for the K-5 fixes the eye-fi problem AFAIK. And the latest firmware for the eye-fi also fixes any problems.

Hope that helps...
01-20-2011, 10:33 AM   #19

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My experience is that it can work in a studio setting but (for me) just doesn't make sense elsewhere. In studio I shoot raw + jpg (10 meg size) and only transfer the jpg with the card. Then Aperture picks it up and transfers it in automatically from a hot folder. Just do that to check critical focus issues and lighting. The transfer of raw just takes too long. I transfer the raw from the card the normal way. Transfer distance to router seems to be important for speed.

01-22-2011, 12:52 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Kenyee - thank you for the explanation.

I suspect this product misses the point because few people will be using a K5 and uploading pics to sharing sites That's the sort of thing people do with a mobile phone camera

Also one would not want to set up an ftp server on one's PC, behind WEP security which can be cracked by somebody sitting in a car outside, or any one of a number of neighbours, in minutes. Almost nobody uses WEP these days (WPA is the one to use) so if WEP is needed, one needs to purchase an extra wifi router / access point just to talk to the camera.

They should have just produced a straight wifi client, WPA capable, and it would network just like any other device. The hardware is obviously all there already. That would not stop the thing also uploading pics to picture sharing sites, but it would be much more useful back home, IMHO.
01-22-2011, 07:28 AM   #21
Veteran Member

peter: just to clarify, WEP while in Ad-Hoc mode (device directly to computer) is part of the wifi spec for "Ad-Hoc". Why I have no idea...seems dumb to me as well so you'd think a committee would have thought it was a bad idea.
So if you want WPA2 security, yes, you'll need a wifi router that you can connect your tablet and eye-fi to. WPA security has been cracked. WPA2-TKIP also has been cracked, so WPA2-AES is the only thing that's safe now.

As for uploading to sharing sites, that eye-fi sharing thing was done a few years ago before smartphones w/ cameras were as popular as today. It was meant for the technically challenged...your parents, grandparents, etc. who just want to take pictures and share them w/ family. They take the photos away from the house, come home, turn on the camera and leave it on for a while, the photos magically show up online for everyone to see. Some of the new Kodak cameras have this built-in now...
01-22-2011, 08:46 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
WPA security has been cracked. WPA2-TKIP also has been cracked
I don't think so.... only by hacking the passphrase, which is obviously possible if you make it very short or guessable. I know of no published crypto-based attacks on WAP.

I don't have an issue with WEP, used for this single purpose, but you cannot leave the access point switched on the whole time. And because your existing AP will be set to WPA, you have to buy a second one for the WEP function. They should have thought about that.

But I am suprised that e.g. Pentax have a radio link of some sort for talking to their flashguns, but not WIFI. It would be such an obvious thing, and a real first in the "upmarket" marketplace.
01-23-2011, 08:27 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by peterh337 Quote
But I am suprised that e.g. Pentax have a radio link of some sort for talking to their flashguns, but not WIFI.
Flashgun comms is optical, not wifi.
Makes passing FCC tests easier no doubt...

01-23-2011, 09:02 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I thought the Pentax cameras talk to the Pentax 360 and 540 guns using radio. Never tried it though.

Are you saying it does it using data encoded onto the built-in flash - like Nikon do it? I have seen that work on the Nikon stuff.
01-23-2011, 10:06 AM   #25

I have tried eye-fi cards before, I found them to be nothing but a huge headache. They require proprietary software to be installed to see them, and to transfer. You can't view the card as networked storage. The software also demands to be permanently connected to an eye-fi server, even if you have no desire to upload pictures online at that time. Just to get them off the card to folder on your local computer requires you to be connected. If you block it from communicating to the eye-fi online server, it will refuse to function properly. You can also only copy files off the card, you can't cut or delete them. So when the card is full you have to take it out and put it in a reader, or manually delete files using the camera interface, to clear space on it.

All eye-fi cards have the same wireless capability to transfer raw files, or any file type, but the "lower end" cards are limited to only allow *.jpg, so as to force you into paying a premium just to transfer pef/dng. There is no reason they couldn't be seen as networked storage and viewed in windows explorer, except for the limitations that eye-fi enforces.
01-23-2011, 10:32 AM   #26
Veteran Member

The only way I'd spend a $150.00 on a 8g SD card

Last edited by Fl_Gulfer; 01-30-2011 at 09:59 AM.
01-23-2011, 04:50 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by peterh337 Quote
I thought the Pentax cameras talk to the Pentax 360 and 540 guns using radio. Never tried it though.
Are you saying it does it using data encoded onto the built-in flash - like Nikon do it? I have seen that work on the Nikon stuff.
Yes, *ALL* "wireless" flash systems (Canikon, Sony, Pentax, Oly) use optical...
05-03-2011, 10:38 AM   #28
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Cosmic Debris Quote
The software also demands to be permanently connected to an eye-fi server, even if you have no desire to upload pictures online at that time. Just to get them off the card to folder on your local computer requires you to be connected. If you block it from communicating to the eye-fi online server, it will refuse to function properly.
This is not accurate. In my setup, the Pro X2 Eye-Fi card only knows about the Ad-Hoc network configured on the Virtual WiFi of my Windows 7 netbook, using WPA2 encryption. The "hostednetwork" is only started on demand with a little batch script and it deactivates when the computer is rebooted or cycles through hibernate/standby. The Eye-Fi is configured to only upload the media to that netbook and this works with or without the netbook being connected to another AP with internet access. I created a share for those upload folders on the netbook, so when at home, I have easy access to them from my desktop.

You can also only copy files off the card, you can't cut or delete them. So when the card is full you have to take it out and put it in a reader, or manually delete files using the camera interface, to clear space on it.
There is an "endless memory" option that you can configure. You specify a percentage of memory to be used. The card will then automatically delete the oldest successfully uploaded photos to keep the memory usage under that setting.

There is no reason they couldn't be seen as networked storage and viewed in windows explorer, except for the limitations that eye-fi enforces.
How much of the card's firmware memory area would be used to implement a sufficiently functional and secure SMB server?

Regards
JC
05-03-2011, 01:49 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JanniCash Quote
How much of the card's firmware memory area would be used to implement a sufficiently functional and secure SMB server?
I think he meant you couldn't put the card in a regular SD card reader...you have to use theirs to see the files. Hmm...I never tried that...will have to when I get back home.

BTW, w/ eye-fi direct now, you don't even need your netbook...you can have files go to your iphone or android tablet. That said, a Windows netbook would be much more useful in terms of software you could postprocess the images with...
05-03-2011, 02:34 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The EyeFi will work in any SDHC card reader that supplies sufficient voltage to the card.
Sadly a lot of readers, cheap and not so cheap (like my $50 Sandisk reader!) do not work!!!
Really upsetting!

I posted a page in the EyeFi Forums to help weed out which readers do and do not work.
Hopefully some updates have been added.

The 2010 iMacs with built in SDXC readers do work.
But as stated, EyeFi supplies their own USB dongle just in case your reader is not compliant with regards to voltage.

The new firmware for the EyeFi X2 cards (including Pro) is really nice. The eye-fi Direct means no more unsecured Ad-Hoc networking on your PC or laptop (WEP is NOT secure!! Some ad-hoc implementations do not support any encryption - Yikes! ). Of course you could always hook up a wireless router to your PC, but thats a pain when going mobile.

The EyeFi itself now generates its own hotspot that your PC, iPhone or other device can connect to and receive photos. It is very nice!!! It used WPA2 encryption, or so I'm told.

I am quite pleased with the EyeFi X2 Pro card. I would not hesitate to suggest one in most cases where you want tethering.

If you're expecting to use it on vacation, and just drop into a coffee shop and upload your day's shooting... I don't think it works that well. IMOHO.