Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2012, 10:07 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Mine i use to tether to my TAB and from there i can send to any of my social sites that i'm on, this is probably <1% of it's potential

02-17-2012, 07:16 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Okay, I didn't read through 3+ pages of posts so I may be repeating what others have already said.

I have the original Eye-fi cards and agree that they were of marginal use to me - jpeg transfer only to my base computer. However, the new versions are great. They will transfer both jpeg and raw, plus they will transfer directly to a device (I'm using an Android tablet) if you'd like. I love this capability. I shoot raw+jpeg, have the card transfer just the jpeg to my tablet, and while I'm still shooting, I can display my shots for a larger audience. I've done this at a couple of events where I'm shooting with potential customers, and they can see shots right away that they may want. Plus, on a 10" tablet (or a larger laptop), you can really chimp the shots and know if you got it or not.

It's not quite the same a tethering, but then again, you're not tied to anything except a wifi signal.

You can even set the cards to move images to your computer/tablet/whatever when the card reaches 50% capacity. That can be useful given that the cards max out currently at 8gb. I just bought an extra card because I'd rather not have the file move, just copy. So far, it's worked great. It will eat up more battery, but I'm usually using the grip so it doesn't matter that much to me.
02-17-2012, 08:28 PM   #48
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A kinda dis-jointed set of thoughts, but here goes...

I bought the best one offered for my wife's Sony P&S as being able to e-mail/share a photo right from the camera was what she really wanted to be able to do, so automatically transmitting to a computer or my online SmugMug account was the next best thing, but of course only if/when she was home on an authorized WiFi node (and her new iPhone 4S has rendered all this moot anyway).

It was a bit of a pain to setup. Well, probably because at first I was trying to setup the capability to transfer to my (and her previously owned) droid phone. Let me tell you, Don't bother with that.

Issue/problem can be the camera often doesn't stay on long enough (1 minute timer) to complete a transfer of any/many photos; if I were producing and transmitting RAWs few would probably ever transfer.

But getting back to it, the best thing I like about it was being able to configure it to transfer to my SmugMug account directly. So every photo is immediately published online and sharable immediately form there (it can be set to be private).

All in all tho, it definitely isn't the panacea I was hoping it was going to be.
02-17-2012, 11:02 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
I have the original Eye-fi cards and agree that they were of marginal use to me - jpeg transfer only to my base computer. However, the new versions are great. They will transfer both jpeg and raw, plus they will transfer directly to a device (I'm using an Android tablet) if you'd like. I love this capability. I shoot raw+jpeg, have the card transfer just the jpeg to my tablet, and while I'm still shooting, I can display my shots for a larger audience. I've done this at a couple of events where I'm shooting with potential customers, and they can see shots right away that they may want. Plus, on a 10" tablet (or a larger laptop), you can really chimp the shots and know if you got it or not.
Don't ettr when you do that or you will lose customers

02-18-2012, 12:02 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
However, the new versions are great. They will transfer both jpeg and raw, plus they will transfer directly to a device (I'm using an Android tablet) if you'd like. I love this capability. I shoot raw+jpeg, have the card transfer just the jpeg to my tablet, and while I'm still shooting, I can display my shots for a larger audience. I've done this at a couple of events where I'm shooting with potential customers, and they can see shots right away that they may want. Plus, on a 10" tablet (or a larger laptop), you can really chimp the shots and know if you got it or not.
That's awesome.
02-18-2012, 04:40 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Let me make it easier for you: using the Eye-Fi w/ RAW files will be an exercise in frustration unless you like waiting for images to show up

The best way to use the Eye-Fi is to set your camera to take smallest JPEG (6MP) + RAW at the same time and set the Eye-Fi to transfer JPEG files only so you get previews in a few seconds.

The reason is the Eye-Fi is slowwwwww as a wifi adapter. Even with 802.11n, it only uses 1 out of 3 possible parallel channels, so you have a 150Mbit/sec max. On top of this, the actual speed off the memory inside is is only about 11Mbit/sec, so you have a real transfer rate of 1.5MB/sec...
Eye-Fi's slowliness is not really frustrating me, compared to the time a Polaro´d needed to develop till completion, it's more than acceptable! And to me, that's why I use Eye-Fi and it's working.
As I shoot a lot of bracketing, 5 shots with 2 sec interval (mirror), the 4th RAW file is coming in at the moment the 5th shot is finished, so things are only one shot behind, I am already living to fast...:ugh:
The advantage over the old Polaro´d way of doing is that the files, once approved, can be saved as a final version, at the time one needed to shoot on film too, once the proof was approved...
And what you see is what you get: Polaro´d's shadow - and highlight densities could not be trusted when in colour, that's why B&W was shot, but then the proof lacked colour, but Polaro´d's colours could not be 'followed' neither.

What I am trying to say is, that we don't realize how spoiled we are by digital technology!

BTW, I don't like jpegs, compared to RAW they are a waste of effort, but that's an absolutely very, very, personal statement!

PS, does anybody knows if the BlackBerry tablet can handle RAW's, is there an appropriate appication?

Last edited by philippe; 02-18-2012 at 07:50 AM.
02-18-2012, 09:44 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philippe Quote
What I am trying to say is, that we don't realize how spoiled we are by digital technology!

PS, does anybody knows if the BlackBerry tablet can handle RAW's, is there an appropriate appication?
I agree. We are spoiled. I don't mind waiting. Someone mentioned the camera timing out. I did have to extend the auto-shutoff time, but that was easy to do. Then there wasn't any problem.

As for tablets (any tablets) handling raw files, the impression I get is that all you're seeing is the jpeg thumbnail associated with the raw file anyway. You're not going to see the raw file in the same way a raw converter/editor does on your computer. I may be wrong, but that's the impression I get.
02-20-2012, 07:10 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by philippe Quote
BTW, I don't like jpegs, compared to RAW they are a waste of effort, but that's an absolutely very, very, personal statement!

Agree w/ about JPEG vs. RAW, but unless you're doing landscapes, RAW speed on an eye-fi is an exercise in patience. I didn't realize you were a polaroid user, so you're used to patience

AFAIK, the BB can't. There are apps on Android that will handle RAW (not the free app provided by the eye-fi folks), but the problem is manipulating the raws to see you dynamic range will be pretty slow...wait another generation or two and they'll get powerful enough for that...

02-23-2012, 07:54 AM   #54
Site Supporter

Well, I did purchase an eye-fi card. Setting it up was very frustrating. I'm still not sure if I have it set up exactly correctly. Most of what people wrote seems very true so far. My main thing was to be able to review photos as the are taken on an Android tablet. That does work, though you do have to be very patient. I need to experiment more.