Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2011, 03:23 PM   #31
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
I think he meant you couldn't put the card in a regular SD card reader...you have to use theirs to see the files. Hmm...I never tried that...will have to when I get back home.

BTW, w/ eye-fi direct now, you don't even need your netbook...you can have files go to your iphone or android tablet. That said, a Windows netbook would be much more useful in terms of software you could postprocess the images with...
As far as I can tell there is zero difference between using the Eye-Fi provided card reader and the built in card reader of my ASUS 1215N. When I insert the card into either of them, the media upload, the Eye-Fi Center can configure the card and the card shows up in Windows Explorer as a mass storage device.

I thought he meant that he want's the "camera" to become an SMB server.

I don't have an I-droid, or whatever the latest and greatest may be. My Eye-Fi is only allowed to ever connect to my netbook, and only after I explicitly started the Virtual WiFi Ad-Hoc on that netbook. I really like to review and post-process things before publishing anything. I sometimes take pictures of my guns or my family and I don't like their serial numbers or private moments to be posted publicly by accident.

Regards
JC

05-03-2011, 09:52 PM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
nice gadget - I bought one, because I was in the US and got it cheap. But honestly - I don't use it at all.

Spend your money on Class-10 cards.
02-15-2012, 03:44 PM   #33
JFN
Veteran Member

Is there a way to browse the photos on the card in "realtime" via http over WiFi ? In that case, a tablet (or computer) could easily be used as a "viewer" in order to see if images are sharp and good as a complement to the camera lcd....
02-15-2012, 03:48 PM   #34
Veteran Member

You could have them sent to (or rather picked up by) a machine that has a web server running.
But no, it does not have the functionality of the Nikon D4's attachment.

02-15-2012, 07:24 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JFN Quote
Is there a way to browse the photos on the card in "realtime" via http over WiFi ? In that case, a tablet (or computer) could easily be used as a "viewer" in order to see if images are sharp and good as a complement to the camera lcd....

Just to be complete... you can certainly have your tablet set up to pull files form the card via WiFi. That is what the card is designed to allow you to do.
But, your tablet must remain close enough to get a decent connection. But only one device can be connected to the Eye-Fi card at a time (if you have it set in direct connect mode, where the EyeFi acts as its own hotspot).

It is just that a more flexible solution would be to have a portable HTTP server receive the photos near the photographer. The web server would then allow multiple tablets, smart phones, etc... to view the images. This might be a better solution, but it depends how much control you want over the viewing of images.

Setting your cam are to upload only small low-res jpegs helps keeping people form finding them useful beyond viewing.
You don't want to send hi-res jpegs or worse yet, your RAW images to your customer's devices. :-) :-)
02-15-2012, 07:53 PM   #36
Inactive Account

My eye-fi experience

I had a X2 Pro for my K7.

The idea was I could just walk into home and my photos would auto load onto my NAS ready for PP/organising.
The problem was I would then forget to do this! I ended up with a huge backlog of photos that was very time consuming to get through.
So having the step where I go to the computer and edit was a better workflow for me.

I see it more as a way to quickly get JPEGs out of a camera to the internet like Flicker/Facebook etc. You can get the camera to do this for you anywhere there is a recognised wireless hotspot. The best way to do this is to get a smart phone with WIFI hotspot functionality so that the hotspot travels with you

So in the end my eye-fis lock tab broke off so I had to send it back, I used that opportunity to get a refund.
Maybe when my eco system is better suited I may get one for my wifes camera as she likes to post photos as soon as possible and hates having to wait for the conversion to jpeg, (so much so she will often use her iPhone camera rather than the DSLR on her so she can post it on Facebook right away).
I don't really see it has a subsitute for tethered shooting, better to attach the camera via HDMI to a color accurate monitor to asses the shot-you can even use live view
02-15-2012, 07:59 PM   #37
Veteran Member

how funny. Got two Eye Fi cards. Both cracked. One the lock tab fell out.
I've filled the gap with epoxy, so no p=more problem. But the cards seem weaker than most other brands.

02-16-2012, 06:47 AM   #38
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by JFN Quote
A few lines of Tcl/Tk code could easily monitor the upload directory and fire up your favorite image viewer when new images are detected. A few lines of PHP code could display them in a browser and a bit of JavaScript could even auto-refresh that page.

People shouldn't be so afraid to write their own software.

JC
02-16-2012, 07:07 AM   #39
JFN
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JanniCash Quote
A few lines of Tcl/Tk code could easily monitor the upload directory and fire up your favorite image viewer when new images are detected. A few lines of PHP code could display them in a browser and a bit of JavaScript could even auto-refresh that page.

People shouldn't be so afraid to write their own software.

JC
There's only 25h on a day, and the 8th day of the week we need to rest a lil....

02-16-2012, 07:49 AM   #40
Pentaxian

The major advantage of my Eye-Fi cards is that it is orange. I love my Sandisk Ducati even better for their red color. Easy to find in low light, ... black color is a major drawback for the regular Sandisk cards.
Eye-Fi works slow (as slow as a wireless network is) for raw imagery. I bought one for indoor shooting and easy onscreen viewing when doing my focus adjustment of the K5. I still need more time to play with the card and direct LR to show the images in the viewer.
02-16-2012, 09:58 AM   #41
Veteran Member

I apologize if I should be able to figure this out based on what has already been posted here. What I would like to do is to use my son's Samsung Galaxy tab android tablet to review photos as I take them. My main reason for this would be to be able to better check focus and lighting on pictures that I am taking vs. looking at the back of the camera. I'm very tired of thinking shots are good as I'm taking them, only to find out when I see them on the computer that the focus was not right.

I would also like to be able to do this with video from my K5. I'm never able to tell with video I'm taking if the focus is ok.

I would never dream of uploading directly to any photosharing site without editing first, so that part doesn't matter to me. I'm also thinking that what this would also allow me to do is delete unwanted pictures after being able to view them on the tablet without the need for them to be uploaded to the computer.

Does anyone see any problem with this?
02-16-2012, 10:20 AM   #42
Veteran Member

I poste something about these Eye-Fi cards on this forum some time ago: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/165563-can-i-thether-my-...ml#post1715245
It's not the absolute way to go, certainly not, but perhaps it can help?
Anyway, this is how I experienced the Eye-Fi Pro X2 8 GB...
02-16-2012, 12:50 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Thanks for the link. The information regarding the small range and camera orientation is good to know. That's more limiting than I would have thought. Those comments were a few months ago, do you still find it useful, months later?
02-16-2012, 11:58 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Yes, Jake, I still find the Eye-Fi interesting, particularly when in a studio like situation (on location too), and the composing of the picture and the light are delicate.
Actually, the sole negative point is the lugging around of a laptop, that's why I am longing for an iPad like tablet, but I am not sure if the Eye-Fi would work flawlessly, particularly if I want it to work with RAW files too.
Actually, a setup like that works as a simultaneous back up along with a larger preview. But don't forget that it's not intended for really fast working, that's why I see the digital camera/Eye-Fi/tablet(laptop) combination as something like the ground glass and a Polaroïd proof print of a large format (view-) camera, with some extra features added...
Work like this, PHOTOEIL, is done on location with a studio setup and the K-5 (+ FA Ltd lenses) connected via Eye-Fi on the MacBook (no cables needed!) it worked like a charm
02-17-2012, 09:42 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by philippe Quote
Actually, the sole negative point is the lugging around of a laptop, that's why I am longing for an iPad like tablet, but I am not sure if the Eye-Fi would work flawlessly, particularly if I want it to work with RAW files too.
Let me make it easier for you: using the Eye-Fi w/ RAW files will be an exercise in frustration unless you like waiting for images to show up

The best way to use the Eye-Fi is to set your camera to take smallest JPEG (6MP) + RAW at the same time and set the Eye-Fi to transfer JPEG files only so you get previews in a few seconds.

The reason is the Eye-Fi is slowwwwww as a wifi adapter. Even with 802.11n, it only uses 1 out of 3 possible parallel channels, so you have a 150Mbit/sec max. On top of this, the actual speed off the memory inside is is only about 11Mbit/sec, so you have a real transfer rate of 1.5MB/sec...