Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2011, 02:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax AF160FC Auto Macro Ring Flash

Anyone had any problems with the flash on the K-5?
I want to pick one up to go with my F DA 100 2.8 WR Macro lens.

01-16-2011, 03:06 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have this flash, but only used it with manual settings on my K-5. No problems.
01-16-2011, 10:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I'm having issues with my flash on the K-5. My issue is more of the common K-5 flash issue though. Sometimes the camera and flash fail to communicate via P-TTL, causing the ring-flash to fire off at full-power instead of cutting off when it should. I have no real good way to know whether the camera and flash are properly talking except by taking a test shot then hoping the P-TTL communication is still working after the test shot.

I've had to resort to using this flash in manual mode to get reliable results from it. Until Pentax fixes the P-TTL issue in firmware, I wouldn't trust using ANY flash on the K-5 with P-TTL.

- Jason
01-17-2011, 06:54 AM   #4

Mixed results...

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
Anyone had any problems with the flash on the K-5?
I want to pick one up to go with my F DA 100 2.8 WR Macro lens.
I am experiencing an increase in overexposure as I am reducing the shooting distance on a static subject. When I get, say, 50 cm or closer to the subject, using my Sigma 70, I have to dial-in anything from -0.5 to -2EV compensation. I dial-it in on the flash first, but it is only adjustable to -1EV. After that, I have to compensate in-camera.

The other issue I am having is that the modelling LED's are not working properly on my example of the AF160. It is constatntly flickering on one side only, which is likely abnormal. I am not really using it so I think I will tough it out...

Otherwise, once the exposure is correct, it is giving me great results.

I am thinking of getting the D-FA100WR as well... let me know what you think if you get it first!

Gene

01-17-2011, 08:44 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Have it and happy with it. No problems so far. Used it in auto mode on the DFA 100mm macro and Tamron adaptall 2 90/2.5 macro, and in manual on the Canon FD 200mm macro.
Only con is that I can't fire a 2nd wireless flash with the ring flash.