Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2011, 05:23 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
tuco, I'm aware of this.

But IMHO, the pure selection of a numeric frame rate, a horizontal and vertical resolution, and an interleaved switch, shouldn't be a problem for any video editor.

I don't ask for support of many codecs. Just for the free choice of three numbers. AFAIK, no editor allows it. Working in software, I must say that this surprises me to say the least.

This is like a photo editor only accepting images of 640x480, 1280x720 and, in the PRO version, 1920x1080 too. To call this ridiculous is understating it ...
How long have videos produced in 1080/25p motion JPEG been around? I'm surprised too that these editors don't support a well established motion JPEG. If a video camera produced DVCPO HD 1080PA24 48Hz or XDCAM HD422 1080P24 CBR video formats would be surprised they could not be edited in the free versions of video editors that come with computers, I wonder.

Last edited by tuco; 01-21-2011 at 05:42 PM.
01-21-2011, 06:34 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
How long have videos produced in 1080/25p motion JPEG been around? I'm surprised too that these editors don't support a well established motion JPEG. If a video camera produced DVCPO HD 1080PA24 48Hz or XDCAM HD422 1080P24 CBR video formats would be surprised they could not be edited in the free versions of video editors that come with computers, I wonder.
I am not talking about codecs here.

Frame size and rate should be free parameters in a project setting. If I want a 3000x500@10fps project than I should be able to do so. Period. Conversion into a standard output format should happen on export, not import.

Another ridiculous constraint is that still images in a video project (Adobe Premiere Elements) must not be larger than 4096 pixels on the long edge. If they are, they are silently resized to project resolution and look awful in any zooming effect. I must have damaged the wall with my head when I eventually found that one out...
05-27-2011, 06:13 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Frame size and rate should be free parameters in a project setting. If I want a 3000x500@10fps project than I should be able to do so. Period. Conversion into a standard output format should happen on export, not import.
If you're talking about the working video it would make the most sense to stick as closely as possible to the source, preferably without compression. But HD resolutions make that impractical. I don't see why you'd want the working video to be something as bizarre as 3000x500@10fps if your source is 1920x1080@25fps. Display it any size you want, but with motion jpeg as a source, you'll lose quality resizing it, then you'll lose quality again rendering it.

QuoteQuote:
Another ridiculous constraint is that still images in a video project (Adobe Premiere Elements) must not be larger than 4096 pixels on the long edge. If they are, they are silently resized to project resolution and look awful in any zooming effect. I must have damaged the wall with my head when I eventually found that one out...
Since the proportions of Pentax DSLR still aren't 16x9 or 4x3 you'd be better off resizing the stills in a program for editing still images then importing the edited versions. The maximum resolution on the K5 is roughly 5x3 so for full frame at 16x9 you'll need to crop. (edit) I see now that you want to use zoom effects, so I understand why you want to use as high a resolution as possible. It may be that Adobe are forcing you to buy Adobe Premier to get the full resolution.

I've been using Vegas Movie Studio for video editing but I'd be interested to hear about the quality of results from different programs in terms of their rendering abilty. The rendering from Movie Studio doesn't seem to be as good as the results I've seen from other software - even linux freeware. It's not bad, but it doesn't seem to be anywhere near the best either.

Last edited by RobG; 05-27-2011 at 06:16 PM. Reason: more info
05-27-2011, 06:54 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My 1080p/25 videos from my K-5 work just fine in Aperture and in iMovie. No errors, no problems.

05-27-2011, 07:03 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Window Livw Movie Makerwork great with K-5
05-27-2011, 09:42 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I am not talking about codecs here.

I know this is a four month old thread, but I'm curious what the problem with iMovie/Final Cut express is? I can import my K-5 1080p video directly (in iMovie), go to project settings and switch to 25fps PAL, and drag-n-drop clips with no problem. Then export a 1080p video. I've not tried FCE, but I can't imagine it wouldn't support the 25fps PAL; What is the "mess" you were referring to? If you want to pulldown the resulting video to 25 fps, or up to 30, you can do it with many different utilities, even some free ones.
05-27-2011, 10:47 PM   #22
Pentaxian

I always use VirtuaDub, simple and free.

05-29-2011, 07:09 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Cinelerra lets you do this. (Probably with some limits, but I just tried your example with no problems. It also lets you set aspect ratio independantly of resolution, which is another thing you would probably expect but rarely get. (Not that I've ever used any of the "normal" video editors.))

(Yes, it's an old post, but the thread was brought back anyway.)