Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2011, 09:35 PM   #1

What software for editing video?

The video feature of the K5 is not what is most important for me on this cam, but hey it's there so why not use it!

After taking a few videos, I noticed that when I try to look at them with Windows Media Player or Winamp I'm only getting a bunch of color pixels as an image, sound is fine but the image is just full of colors... For now the only way I can view the video is with Quicktime.

I normally use Windows Movie Maker to edit video and I'm still getting the same kind of pixelled colors..... what to do?

01-17-2011, 12:21 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Minulla MAC siinä Final Cut Express , paras yhdistelmä toimii hienosti ainakin DV.
01-17-2011, 02:25 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The correct codec is missing. You can try to install DivX player, which has the correct codec...
01-17-2011, 11:43 AM   #4
Forum Member

Install VLC instead, will play anything and is a nice and small package.

01-17-2011, 11:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Mac on kaikki jotka tarvitset, parhaat ohjelmat joita tarvitaan niinkuin iMovie ja iPhoto.
01-17-2011, 11:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

If he's running WMP clearly he can't use Final Cut, not without a Mac emulation program anyhow. Depending upon your needs you might want to consider Vegas Video or Premiere Basic from Adobe. Vegas is more user friendly, easier I think to learn, and less picky about which video card you use. Corel's Ulead division also makes a decent video program, but honestly of the 3 I think I like the Vegas the best. First thing though, it sounds like you need a few video codec upgrades. K-lite is the codec pack I use and it's free, just Google it, but there are others out there. Pixels scrambled usually means you are missing some codec or another. VLC is excellent for playback though and I also suggest that as well to view movies and such on your PC. You'll need the rest of the codecs though for WMP.
01-18-2011, 03:28 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 30v iPentax Quote
The Mac is all you need, the best programs are needed as iMovie and iPhoto.
Apple products (iMovie, iPhoto, Final Cut Express) do not support 1080p25 projects, the K-5 native format ... ( iMovie: Using footage from DV and non-DV sources ). This makes the Mac a mess with VDSLRs in general and the K-5 in particular.

I didn't test it yet (no current video project) but Adobe Premiere Elements 9 (PREL9) should do the trick ( Premiere Elements 9.0 Download & Installed: First Look - Elements Village ). It lists 1080p25 as supported format under PAL/DSLR (and 24p, 720p25, 720p30 as well).

PREL9 is available for Mac and Windows which means the OS won't matter when it comes to editing K-5 videos

Note however that Yvon Bourque complained about PREL9 being slow when editing K-5 footage. May be due to his slow computer though ( Shooting 1080p video with the K-5. Having problem with Adobe Premiere Elements 9. Help! - Photo.net Pentax Forum ).

Another note to windows users: have a look at Adobe Forums: Pentax K-X issues with CS4 (MJPEG codec) . Seems like there are better MJPEG codecs to use with Pentax.
01-19-2011, 03:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I don't know if is supported as part of the KDE for Windows suite, but I have had good results recently with kdenlive. When I tried it for the first time a year or so ago it was awful, now it seems pretty good.

(However that might be because I've switched from feeding it AVCHD to MJPEG, which is a LOT less brutal for the editing machine.)

01-20-2011, 01:34 AM   #9

I'm using Corel VideoStudio Pro X3 in win7 and it works nicely for all my needs.

as for winxp, it doesn't have the proper codec so editing comes out as huge colored pixels.
and few trial version mjpeg codecs work in preview but not after encoding.

better off test these programs in your operating system before purchase.
01-20-2011, 07:42 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Osmo Quote
I'm using Corel VideoStudio Pro X3 in win7 and it works nicely for all my needs.

as for winxp, it doesn't have the proper codec so editing comes out as huge colored pixels.
and few trial version mjpeg codecs work in preview but not after encoding.

better off test these programs in your operating system before purchase.
Thanks for the hint.

According to http://www.corel.com/content/vpk/vsx3/en/reviewersguide/corel_videostudio_pr...wers_guide.pdf
it should be a nice program.

And what I just see:
Only today!!!, 50% off for only $50 !!
(last day of a four day sale)

(at this price, I may just buy it for my VMWare box )
01-20-2011, 07:52 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What does anyone say about Serif PhotoPlus X4 as an editor on Windows 7? Thanks.
01-21-2011, 02:15 PM   #12
Veteran Member

What about Adobe Premier?
01-21-2011, 03:27 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I didn't test it yet (no current video project) but Adobe Premiere Elements 9 (PREL9) should do the trick ( Premiere Elements 9.0 Download & Installed: First Look - Elements Village ). It lists 1080p25 as supported format under PAL/DSLR (and 24p, 720p25, 720p30 as well).

Note however that Yvon Bourque complained about PREL9 being slow when editing K-5 footage. May be due to his slow computer though ( Shooting 1080p video with the K-5. Having problem with Adobe Premiere Elements 9. Help! - Photo.net Pentax Forum ).
Yes it works with Premiere Elements 9. Only problem is that I don't know enough of editing.

Takes some time, but maybe one problem is that it still works as a 32-bit software only using 4 GB RAM memory. With my quad-core it is just okay working with it.
01-21-2011, 03:53 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Apple products (iMovie, iPhoto, Final Cut Express) do not support 1080p25 projects, the K-5 native format ... ( iMovie: Using footage from DV and non-DV sources ). This makes the Mac a mess with VDSLRs in general and the K-5 in particular.
It makes it a mess for the low-end, commodity video editors like that. You have to buck up for Final Cut Pro which will handle it with no problem. Many low end video editors create an intermediate editing file format on import. Working with a variety of video codecs in native format usually requires the "pro" versions of the software.

Last edited by tuco; 01-21-2011 at 04:07 PM.
01-21-2011, 05:15 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
It makes it a mess for the low-end, commodity video editors like that. You have to buck up for Final Cut Pro which will handle it with no problem. Many low end video editors create an intermediate editing file format on import. Working with a variety of video codecs in native format usually requires the "pro" versions of the software.
tuco, I'm aware of this.

But IMHO, the pure selection of a numeric frame rate, a horizontal and vertical resolution, and an interleaved switch, shouldn't be a problem for any video editor.

I don't ask for support of many codecs. Just for the free choice of three numbers. AFAIK, no editor allows it. Working in software, I must say that this surprises me to say the least.

This is like a photo editor only accepting images of 640x480, 1280x720 and, in the PRO version, 1920x1080 too. To call this ridiculous is understating it ...