Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2011, 09:25 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Just got my K5! and 18-135 and Metz 50 Af-1

Any way I can tell how recent a build the camera is to see what the likelihood of sensor spots is?

I bought it from Amazon.com

01-18-2011, 09:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The serial number will not give an indication. Just set a low aperture (probably F22 will be the lowest the lens can do), go outside and shoot the sky, or shoot a white background - don't worry about stabilizing the image at all since the stains would be on the sensor itself, not affected by stabilization. If you see spots, it'll need a replacement, if not, enjoy.
01-18-2011, 09:40 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I'm sure stores like Amazon have taken care of that issue by now. If the serial number is after mine (3965***) you should be ok.
01-18-2011, 09:46 AM   #4

Original Poster
I think we bought the camera at the same time... mine is 3965xxx

Did yours come with the battery already in the camera?

01-18-2011, 09:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Javaslinger Quote

That is very weird. Did you check the file numbers for numbers of actuations? At any rate, shipping with the battery installed is awfully sus in my opinion.

Jason
01-18-2011, 09:59 AM   #6

Original Poster
Yeah, that's what I was thinking... but perhaps someone at Amazon is 'checking' for sensor stains... Seems too recent a serial to be a return.

How do you check actuation's again?
01-18-2011, 10:24 AM   #7
Inactive Account

you'll need an external program like photome to check the shutter actuations

01-18-2011, 02:23 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Mine did not come with the battery installed, It was a brand new replacement for my camera I got in Nov. the #3965339

Shutter Count. 1

01-18-2011, 03:29 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Umm yeah, Every camera I've purchased came with the battery out of the camera with it's little white cap on it packed in a plastic baggie. I'm sure you paid for a new camera and have every right to expect one. New cameras of the K5 generation have been reset on the shutter count. If it's anything but 1 or however many pictures you've taken (you'll have to take a photo to check it), you are holding a used camera. I can't imagine for one second, Amazon staff checking it, #1, and never have I received a camera with a Pre-charged battery, #2.

01-18-2011, 03:40 PM   #10
Forum Member

Congrats! I just bought a metz 50-af1 for my K-5 as well. Could you verify something for me? Could you try a few shots indoors, Manual mode (say ISO 400 or 800, f5, 1/50s) with BOUNCE TTL flash and see if your K-5 over-exposes. Mine has been over exposing quite a bit (over a stop) and has not gotten better with the recent firmware update. Thank you!

Eric
01-18-2011, 06:16 PM   #11

Original Poster
Hmmm, I wasn't going to make a big deal of it unless there appeared to be a problem with it, which there has not thus far...

But I agree, it does tick me off a bit that I just spent a fat load of cash on used merchandise...

As to the Metz 50 flash... I have no idea how to use it at this point. Never had a flash beyond the one on camera. When I figure it out, I'll let you know.

Thanks,

Ken
01-18-2011, 06:29 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Hmmm, I wasn't going to make a big deal of it unless there appeared to be a problem with it, which there has not thus far...

But I agree, it does tick me off a bit that I just spent a fat load of cash on used merchandise...

Ken
Hopefully someone was checking for sensor stains. If you don't know how to do this; aim your camera's lens at blue sky at F/11 or smaller aperture and check for them on your computer screen after you enlarge the image.

I ordered a K-5 myself.
01-18-2011, 06:41 PM   #13

Original Poster
Well, I spoke with Amazon. For the first 10 minutes the nice women attempted to ensure me that there was no way Amazon opened the product and it was definitely new or as received from the manufacturer. (Is it possible the Pentax checked them before sending them to retailers?)

Eventually, she agreed to speak to a supervisor and returned a few minutes later to let me know that they would be overnighting me another Pentax which would 'most definitely be new'. I have 30 days to return the original order... I do have to pay return shipping but they will reimburse me upon receipt of the camera.

I'm certainly satisfied with that, but I'm hoping I'm not returning a camera someone 'checked' for one that was not checked....

It seems far more likely that the one I received today had been returned by someone earlier... I guess...
01-19-2011, 12:23 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Well, I spoke with Amazon. For the first 10 minutes the nice women attempted to ensure me that there was no way Amazon opened the product and it was definitely new or as received from the manufacturer. (Is it possible the Pentax checked them before sending them to retailers?)

Eventually, she agreed to speak to a supervisor and returned a few minutes later to let me know that they would be overnighting me another Pentax which would 'most definitely be new'. I have 30 days to return the original order... I do have to pay return shipping but they will reimburse me upon receipt of the camera.

I'm certainly satisfied with that, but I'm hoping I'm not returning a camera someone 'checked' for one that was not checked....

It seems far more likely that the one I received today had been returned by someone earlier... I guess...
All my other cameras had shutter counts in the 250 range, new. Pentax apparently decided for some reason to reset them before shipping. It's Possible that with the string of pearls issue, they've done further testing and did not reset the counters. I don't know for certain either way. The giveaway however is the charged battery IN the camera.

I'm glad you got Amazon to agree to a replacement.

Welcome to the K5 club. It IS a fine camera.

01-19-2011, 03:20 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Ive got a metz 50 af-1 coming for my k-5 too.. never been into flashes before either :P