Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2011, 05:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Non WR lens on WR camera . Issue.

I tried searching the forum and did not get anything on this subject.

My question is this.

Is there any downside to storing WR camera with a non WR lens for extended periods of time? Would it be more dustproof etc or does it not matter for storage purposes?

[I have the K5 but I use my old k2000 as my everyday camera as I can just dump it in my car and l use it as my walkaround camera with either the DA 35 or 70mm. Which means I tend to leave my K5 sitting around for periods of time. So this thought arose, do I need to keep it with my WR lens for maximal efficiency of the WR when I am not using it for extended periods?]

Thanks in advance for any replies and if this question has previously been posted, I would appreciate the link.

01-19-2011, 06:08 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not sure if there's an authoritative answer to this question, but if stored in a dry, cool bag not subjected to lots of dust, then there should be no reason for dust to get into either the lens or the camera. Of course even better may be to dismount the lens and store them separately with lens/mount caps on.
01-20-2011, 01:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by psychdoc Quote
Would it be more dustproof etc or does it not matter for storage purposes?
In my opinion it doesn't matter for storage purposes, unless you store it in a desert with sandstorms.
01-24-2011, 09:10 AM - 1 Like   #4
Forum Member

In my opinion you are treating the k-5 like a piece of expensive china, not a professional grade photography tool. I throw my K-5 (and my K-10 for years before I got my K-5) in my backpack everyday. I have left it in the car during hot days, and cold nights. I don't do this on purpose, but when you take a camera with you everywhere, things happen. It was built to be a serious piece of equipment and can stand up to the rigors of intense field work. Ask any pro photog how much abuse their gear takes, or just look at all the duck tape covering their lens hoods, and the scratches and dings all over their camera bodies. The k2000 doesn't even hold a light to the k-5 on any level (pun intended, i guess). You have an amazing camera in the k-5 so I would suggest you take the training wheels off and really get to know your camera, instead of letting it collect dust on the shelf. The best camera, is the one you have with you....

Just my humble opinion.

01-24-2011, 11:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by benisona Quote
In my opinion you are treating the k-5 like a piece of expensive china
You are probably right!