Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2011, 02:05 PM   #181
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,484
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
They received mine on 1-20, and I got it back 2-9. From what I understand, they receive their shipment of replacement bodies on Tuesdays and replace 'first come, first served'. So it looks as if they didn't get enough bodies to replace mine the first Tuesday they had it and I had to wait until the next batch. Also, just because they may get the bodies on Tuesday doesn't mean they get shipped back out the same day. Mine wasn't shipped until Thursday.
QuoteOriginally posted by GregK8 Quote
I shipped it on 1-20 and they received it on 1-27. I got it back today. A total of 22 days. I am also in a 5 day zone from CRIS with UPS, so of the 22 days, 10 were on a truck.
So assuming there are no major snags, about 10-12 days at CRIS. I shipped mine on Jan 31st and they had it on Feb 4th (through a blizzard). I had to wait the weekend for them to get it in the system though.



02-11-2011, 04:22 PM   #182
Veteran Member
Tommot1965's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Perth Western Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,026
QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
Great news Greg. I am so happy to have mine back I must say. Used last night low light no flash with the FA 50 MM and so happy.

ISO 1250

tack sharp..great image
02-11-2011, 07:26 PM   #183
Veteran Member
vievetrick's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Easthampton - Massachusetts - USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,175
Original Poster
Thanks Tom
02-11-2011, 07:37 PM   #184
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
GregK8's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Western New York
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 614
First picture. A little dark, a little soft because I think I moved a bit and the shutter speed was slow, but the first picture nonetheless.

DA 35mm Ltd., ISO 3200, f/2.8, 1/25

Attached Images
 

Last edited by GregK8; 02-11-2011 at 08:13 PM.
02-11-2011, 10:04 PM   #185
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,484
Greg, that's a fine looking pooch (mine is The Hound ). Have you determined if you're happy with your replacement? You said you didn't know if it was lightly out of focus because of the camera or the photographer (at least I think you did).

02-12-2011, 12:09 AM   #186
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus




Join Date: May 2007
Location: Edmonton Alberta, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,648
A number of off topic posts deleted and thread re-opened as I feel this subject deserves continued info and discussion.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 02-12-2011 at 08:14 AM.
02-12-2011, 09:05 AM   #187
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
GregK8's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Western New York
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 614
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Greg, that's a fine looking pooch (mine is The Hound ). Have you determined if you're happy with your replacement? You said you didn't know if it was lightly out of focus because of the camera or the photographer (at least I think you did).

It's not out of focus, there is a little motion blur because of the slow shutter speed.

To answer your other question, I am so happy you have no idea. I just got back from shooting at my son's basketball game and I was able to get some amazing shots at ISO 6400 with some very manageable noise. Here is an example. The noise level is about what ISO 1600 was on my K20D. This is at ISO 6400, f/6.7 and 1/350.



AF-C is fast and spot on and noise control is excellent. I could never do this with the K20D. So far my only slightly negative comment is I think I miss the size and heft of the K20D, but I'm not sure if that is because I really prefer it, or just am used to it.

Last edited by GregK8; 02-12-2011 at 09:28 AM.
02-12-2011, 10:43 AM   #188
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,484
QuoteOriginally posted by GregK8 Quote
It's not out of focus, there is a little motion blur because of the slow shutter speed.

To answer your other question, I am so happy you have no idea. I just got back from shooting at my son's basketball game and I was able to get some amazing shots at ISO 6400 with some very manageable noise. Here is an example. The noise level is about what ISO 1600 was on my K20D. This is at ISO 6400, f/6.7 and 1/350.



AF-C is fast and spot on and noise control is excellent. I could never do this with the K20D. So far my only slightly negative comment is I think I miss the size and heft of the K20D, but I'm not sure if that is because I really prefer it, or just am used to it.
Looks good to me. I missed the K10/K20 size as well when I first got the K7. The Grip solved that for me though. That actually surprised me because I didn't like the grip on the K10/20 cameras.



02-12-2011, 10:49 AM   #189
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2007
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Photos: Albums
Posts: 157
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
A number of off topic posts deleted and thread re-opened as I feel this subject deserves continued info and discussion.
Thanks for reopening! I agree that the thread is useful...
02-12-2011, 12:39 PM   #190
Veteran Member
ve2vfd's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,433
I finally have time to test camera #2 and it's not looking good

I went out shooting yesterday morning and all my pics came out looking like crap and soft as heck (downright fuzzy!).

Looks like I have some pretty serious focusing inconsistencies. Testing my lenses on my lens-align calibration scale and it's looking like this camera has some very severe and inconsistant back focusing issues. Focusing point seems to be moving back and forth by several CM's in identical conditions.

More tests needed but my DA55-300 which was tack sharp on every shot with no adjustments on my first K5d needs +10 and from shot to shot the focus point can move back and forth by several CM's.

I very seriously fail to be impressed by Pentax at this point...

Pat
02-12-2011, 12:46 PM   #191
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2007
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Photos: Albums
Posts: 157
QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
I finally have time to test camera #2 and it's not looking good

I went out shooting yesterday morning and all my pics came out looking like crap and soft as heck (downright fuzzy!).

Looks like I have some pretty serious focusing inconsistencies. Testing my lenses on my lens-align calibration scale and it's looking like this camera has some very severe and inconsistant back focusing issues. Focusing point seems to be moving back and forth by several CM's in identical conditions.

More tests needed but my DA55-300 which was tack sharp on every shot with no adjustments on my first K5d needs +10 and from shot to shot the focus point can move back and forth by several CM's.

I very seriously fail to be impressed by Pentax at this point...

Pat
You said it came body only in an unmarked box, could they have mistakenly sent a camera in for warranty work of some other kind to you? Have you contacted the service center yet?
02-12-2011, 12:48 PM   #192
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,484
QuoteOriginally posted by Scottie137 Quote
You said it came body only in an unmarked box, could they have mistakenly sent a camera in for warranty work of some other kind to you? Have you contacted the service center yet?
Nothing would surprise me in Pats case. Have you read what this man went through with Pentax Canada?

02-12-2011, 12:54 PM   #193
Veteran Member
ve2vfd's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,433
QuoteOriginally posted by Scottie137 Quote
You said it came body only in an unmarked box, could they have mistakenly sent a camera in for warranty work of some other kind to you? Have you contacted the service center yet?
Nah, the paperwork that came with it made it pretty clear (with S/N's and all) that what they sent me was supposed to be a new replacement camera.

I haven't called anyone yet as it's the weekend and they are only open during business hours.

I am getting some VERY inconsistant results... and it looks like like my nice new DA*60-250 might be a lemon too... it's about as sharp as a spoon and requires +8 on my K20d, completely unusable on my K5d (+10 is not enough to get it to focus).

Sigh...

Pat

Last edited by ve2vfd; 02-12-2011 at 01:21 PM.
02-12-2011, 02:43 PM   #194
Senior Member
JayBee's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Manitoba
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 119
QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
Nah, the paperwork that came with it made it pretty clear (with S/N's and all) that what they sent me was supposed to be a new replacement camera.
Pat
This is what has my Spidey sense tingling...your replacement has a serial number of 380xxxx and a mfg date of late December. Mine has serial # 382xxxx and early October mfg date. So, my suspicion is that Pentax has been shipping out sensor-replaced bodies. I assume that these are not previously sold bodies; they are from stock that was set aside for some reason. Unless Pentax has a very complex serial numbering system.
I'm sure they can reset the mfg date. And, while they're at it, easily roll back the shutter count if need be.
I spoke to Pentax Canada yesterday - my K-5 "had its sensor replaced" on Thursday, shipping yesterday.
We shall see.
02-12-2011, 03:15 PM   #195
Veteran Member
ve2vfd's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,433
You are probably right JayBee...

PhotoME clearly indicates that some of the fields (like build date, internal serial number and others) can be modified by the service dept.

This is an interesting situation and I'll be conducting more tests tomorrow (I ran out of daylight and I get wildly different adjustment results under fluorescent lighting).

The good news (well if you can call it good news...) is that I am now pretty sure my DA*60-250 is a dud... when the focusing barrel has to turn clockwise it almost always back focuses beyond +10, when counter clockwise it's almost always dead on (with +8 adjustment). More testing tomorrow...

Don't you just love Pentax quality control?

Pat
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
address, camera, dslr, email, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, label, pentax, pentax k-5, sensor
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:08 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top