Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2011, 07:55 AM   #196

Photos: Albums
Pat, sorry you're having so many problems!!!!!

For the rest, I forgot to mention that when I received my replacement K5from C.R.I.S., it came with firmware 1.01, so you might want to check yours and update as needed.

02-13-2011, 02:24 PM   #197
Forum Member

I know this's got some people mad... Is mine a stained one too?

Dears,

I've just finished my first day of humble attempts to shoot a nice photo with my K-5. Uploaded all of the shots into my PC and found stains.

What's your take, should I send it back for replacement, or not bother?
02-13-2011, 04:09 PM   #198
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by maciek_w Quote
Dears,

I've just finished my first day of humble attempts to shoot a nice photo with my K-5. Uploaded all of the shots into my PC and found stains.

What's your take, should I send it back for replacement, or not bother?
How bad is it? Can you post an example?

I think the determination of whether to send it back (now or later?) or keep it will depend on whether they show up in you images. You probably have some time until your warranty is up, so you could use it for a few more weeks and see if you can see the stains in your pictures.

For me, being in the US and knowing that they were flat out replacing the entire kit, I was happy to give up three weeks to get a good copy. Although my sensor was severely stained and it was very noticeable.

Maybe someone else can comment on what the replacement process is like in Europe.
02-13-2011, 06:29 PM   #199
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Peter, thanks for reopening the post.

02-14-2011, 01:58 AM   #200
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
I finally have time to test camera #2 and it's not looking good

I went out shooting yesterday morning and all my pics came out looking like crap and soft as heck (downright fuzzy!).

Looks like I have some pretty serious focusing inconsistencies. Testing my lenses on my lens-align calibration scale and it's looking like this camera has some very severe and inconsistant back focusing issues. Focusing point seems to be moving back and forth by several CM's in identical conditions.

More tests needed but my DA55-300 which was tack sharp on every shot with no adjustments on my first K5d needs +10 and from shot to shot the focus point can move back and forth by several CM's.

I very seriously fail to be impressed by Pentax at this point...

Pat
Pat

you have had a rough trot mate that's for sure...and I would not be pleased with Pentax Canada either....all I can say though, is its your distributor and not Pentax that have given you the run around....my distributor is Perth has been great, I contacted them about the FF issue..they said, " sure no worries come down and grab a new one", that simple, CR Kennedy in Australia have been fantastic...

can the shop that you bought it from do nothing to help ?

I feel for you mate I really do...your experience has taken the pleasure out of what should be a pleasurable thing
02-14-2011, 10:36 AM   #201

Sensor replacement

Picked up my K-5 from the post office this morning - and it is my original K-5. Work order states: "Cleaned and adjusted. CMOS sensor has been replaced". Also enclosed the documentation and photos I had sent to them. Including shipping time there and back, one day under 6 weeks.

Since it's my original camera, I won't be dwelling further on my suspicions about Pentax Canada shipping refurbed units from unsold stock. (with reset manufacture dates). But i do wonder if U.S. consumer protection laws prevent that sort of thing, and that's why Pentax, Nikon, and Sigma can offer longer domestic warranty periods in Canada - it costs them less if they can ship refurbs. Just thinking out loud.

Initial impressions: Firmware 1.02. Sensor appears clean from a visual inspection. Obviously I have some testing to do, including lots of Live View to see if I cook the sensor again. But, it looks ok

Do I cancel my order for the K-5 Silver? Again, we shall see..

Update: According to Photome; Shutter count: 10 (was around 2500), Manufacture date: Jan 12 2011 (was October 7 2010), Camera has been serviced? "Serviced bit not set (Value:2?)"

Last edited by JayBee; 02-14-2011 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Added Photome info
02-14-2011, 10:57 AM   #202
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JayBee Quote
Do I cancel my order for the K-5 Silver?
No. Sell the black one. The silver is too cool.
02-14-2011, 11:03 AM   #203
Inactive Account

I wouldn't have had any problem with them replacing the sensor in mine (still don't know for a fact that isn't what's going to happen). The only thing really appealing to me about a replacement camera is the idea that new camera = new warranty. If this had been discovered after the warranty expired, we would be SOL, except for those who paid for extended warranties. I've been quite lucky with Pentax cameras up to this point but I can't tell you how much electronics has failed on other products Shortly After the warranty expired. Oddly enough, or not, it's all had the name Toshiba written on it.

I don't know what laws are in place that make the required warranty different in the USA vs Canada (or anywhere else). Just think of all the people in the USA who could have had their DA*16-50 SDMs repaired under warranty when they bit the dust 13 months after being purchased.

So, repaired, replaced, doesn't matter. I just want the camera that I paid for.

02-14-2011, 12:39 PM   #204

QuoteOriginally posted by GregK8 Quote
No. Sell the black one. The silver is too cool.
That's all I need to hear!
The order stands. (as if I'd get one anyway - only 1500 worldwide?)
02-14-2011, 12:49 PM   #205

QuoteOriginally posted by JayBee Quote
Picked up my K-5 from the post office this morning - and it is my original K-5. Work order states: "Cleaned and adjusted. CMOS sensor has been replaced". Also enclosed the documentation and photos I had sent to them. Including shipping time there and back, one day under 6 weeks.

Since it's my original camera, I won't be dwelling further on my suspicions about Pentax Canada shipping refurbed units from unsold stock. (with reset manufacture dates). But i do wonder if U.S. consumer protection laws prevent that sort of thing, and that's why Pentax, Nikon, and Sigma can offer longer domestic warranty periods in Canada - it costs them less if they can ship refurbs. Just thinking out loud.
Initial impressions: Firmware 1.02. Sensor appears clean from a visual inspection. Obviously I have some testing to do, including lots of Live View to see if I cook the sensor again. But, it looks ok

Do I cancel my order for the K-5 Silver? Again, we shall see..

Update: According to Photome; Shutter count: 10 (was around 2500), Manufacture date: Jan 12 2011 (was October 7 2010), Camera has been serviced? "Serviced bit not set (Value:2?)"
Interesting question! As far as I know, there are no US regulations that say they can't repair or replace a camera with one that's repaired. Perhaps the Pentax repair facility (C.R.I.S.) isn't equipted to repair them, or can't handle the potential volume?
02-14-2011, 02:38 PM   #206
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GregK8 Quote
How bad is it? Can you post an example?
Still trying to figure out how to do it
02-14-2011, 02:58 PM   #207
Forum Member

Figured.

This is a stained (IMHO) photo. Shot of the sky at f/22

For comparison, a non stained shot at f/2.8

What do you make of it?
Thanks!
02-14-2011, 03:20 PM   #208
Pentaxian

Does not look like the string of stain . This is dust
02-14-2011, 03:41 PM   #209
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by maciek_w Quote
Figured.

This is a stained (IMHO) photo. Shot of the sky at f/22

For comparison, a non stained shot at f/2.8

What do you make of it?
Thanks!
This, is a stain. As stated, yours looks like dust.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-camera-articles/121739-those-...ml#post1259109

02-14-2011, 04:11 PM   #210
Forum Member

Happy to hear. Would this be normal then, that this dust is visible only at narrow apertures (above f/11), and vanish when the lens is open wide?