Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-14-2011, 04:16 PM   #211
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by maciek_w Quote
Happy to hear. Would this be normal then, that this dust is visible only at narrow apertures (above f/11), and vanish when the lens is open wide?
Yes. Do keep an eye on your camera though. My stains didn't appear until about 3 months after I got it.

02-14-2011, 05:26 PM   #212
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Those spots definitely look like dust to me. Here's a good explanation of the differences. Review – Pentax K-5 | Enticing the Light

Try a good blower on your sensor.
02-17-2011, 11:26 AM   #213

Anyone know if the serial they list for the replacement will be the exact one you receive, even if they haven't shipped it out or received new stock yet?

Purchased at launch (old serial #3824xxx), but had horrid FF issues, with stains developing later on. Shipped it mid-January, finally got ahold of CRIS a week ago to get my status info, showing they received it on 1/21 with a hold on 2/3. The service rep said they're waiting for new stock, but it already states in the "repair performed" section that it was "REPLACED SEE NEW SERIAL #3984xxx". Strange thing is, the status log shows it cycling through "In Repair" and "Requiring Attention" multiple times, after the first "Pending Replacement" on 1/21. Did anyone see anything similar in their log?
02-17-2011, 11:32 AM   #214
Veteran Member

Just got my replacement from C.R.I.S. Looks great so far, no stains at f/22 and a blue sky (though there is some regular ol' dust).

Serial #39XXXXX

02-17-2011, 12:31 PM   #215
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Just got my replacement from C.R.I.S. Looks great so far, no stains at f/22 and a blue sky (though there is some regular ol' dust).

Serial #39XXXXX
Right on! I'm guessing Pentax is working around the clock to get the K5 flaws and image back to where is should belong. Good stuff. Glad to hear you got a good working one.
02-17-2011, 02:22 PM   #216
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gtbarnes Quote
Anyone know if the serial they list for the replacement will be the exact one you receive, even if they haven't shipped it out or received new stock yet?

Purchased at launch (old serial #3824xxx), but had horrid FF issues, with stains developing later on. Shipped it mid-January, finally got ahold of CRIS a week ago to get my status info, showing they received it on 1/21 with a hold on 2/3. The service rep said they're waiting for new stock, but it already states in the "repair performed" section that it was "REPLACED SEE NEW SERIAL #3984xxx". Strange thing is, the status log shows it cycling through "In Repair" and "Requiring Attention" multiple times, after the first "Pending Replacement" on 1/21. Did anyone see anything similar in their log?
Same thing happened to me and the body I received in exchange had the same serial number that was posted on the repair ticket.
02-17-2011, 03:20 PM   #217
Inactive Account

1happy

02-17-2011, 03:32 PM   #218

same update for me, they must have received a bunch of cameras today...
02-17-2011, 04:54 PM   #219
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
None for me....Guess I'm waiting another week
02-17-2011, 05:05 PM   #220
Banned

Guys: I do believe they're not making them fast enough to replace the flawed units they're receiving as returns, hence the price point remains artificially high at this time. Sad, but you reap what you so, Pentax. Such is life. Que sera, que sera.
02-18-2011, 07:41 AM   #221
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by donallison13 Quote
Guys: I do believe they're not making them fast enough to replace the flawed units they're receiving as returns, hence the price point remains artificially high at this time. Sad, but you reap what you so, Pentax. Such is life. Que sera, que sera.
Looking at it from a manufacturer's prospective, they can only produce X number of cameras in Y amount of time. Of this number, they have to replace defective ones plus keep their suppliers stocked. Making camera's is not something you can add another shift to for a couple weeks to increase production. I'm sure they are doing all they can.
02-18-2011, 02:39 PM   #222
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GregK8 Quote
Those spots definitely look like dust to me. Here's a good explanation of the differences. Review – Pentax K-5 | Enticing the Light

Try a good blower on your sensor.
Took my camera to a pentax service shop today. A rep had a look and concluded it ain't dust. They cleaned the sensor and spots remained. I was told I should qualify for a replacement. We'll see...
02-18-2011, 08:58 PM   #223
Banned

I finally got my second replacement today. This copy is flawless. Not a single speck anywhere on the sensor, the electronic level works exactly as it should, everything about it is perfect. Paired it up with a new SanDisk Extreme Pro card, and the whole camera is blazingly fast and responsive. It's a dream come true. After 1.5 months without a camera, I finally have what I was hoping for.

...except that I already made up my mind to sell it to someone else over a week ago. So back it goes into its box. At least its new owner can be assured that he's getting a non-defective camera. Lucky bastard.

*punt* buh bye Pentax!
02-19-2011, 12:46 AM   #224
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hound Tooth Quote
I finally got my second replacement today. This copy is flawless. Not a single speck anywhere on the sensor, the electronic level works exactly as it should, everything about it is perfect. Paired it up with a new SanDisk Extreme Pro card, and the whole camera is blazingly fast and responsive. It's a dream come true. After 1.5 months without a camera, I finally have what I was hoping for.

...except that I already made up my mind to sell it to someone else over a week ago. So back it goes into its box. At least its new owner can be assured that he's getting a non-defective camera. Lucky bastard.

*punt* buh bye Pentax!
Um... congrats?
02-19-2011, 01:08 AM   #225
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
Originally posted by Hound Tooth
*punt* buh bye Pentax!
You must be very proud.....do you have another Pentax camera to punt to me?