Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2011, 09:20 PM   #271
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PhotoMe, CTRL-F, type in Manufacture date (unmodified file).

BTW: I'm only asking because you seem concerned about your camera. I agree the scuffs are suspicious but it may mean nothing other than a mounted lens. My shutter count was at 3 on the replacement. I asked about the circle because a few of us had boxes with them on the SN tag. We don't know what, if anything, they signify.

I would (and am) just go merrily along and enjoy the camera. If you're concerned about after the one year warranty (not that you've given any indication), grab one of the 2 year extended warranties offered at B&H. According to Pentax, you can do so during the term of your normal warranty (that's what they told me during a live chat anyway).

03-12-2011, 11:21 PM   #272

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
PhotoMe, CTRL-F, type in Manufacture date (unmodified file).

BTW: I'm only asking because you seem concerned about your camera. I agree the scuffs are suspicious but it may mean nothing other than a mounted lens. My shutter count was at 3 on the replacement. I asked about the circle because a few of us had boxes with them on the SN tag. We don't know what, if anything, they signify.

I would (and am) just go merrily along and enjoy the camera. If you're concerned about after the one year warranty (not that you've given any indication), grab one of the 2 year extended warranties offered at B&H. According to Pentax, you can do so during the term of your normal warranty (that's what they told me during a live chat anyway).

No worries, just found it interesting enough to report. I debated bothering to even send it in for the stains in the first place, but decided to go ahead once people started to report they were receiving entirely new bodies. I shot almost all day today very merrily!
03-13-2011, 01:54 PM   #273
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thank you all who have participated in this thread, it gives me an idea of what to expect. I hadn't really read through it much since until last week I didn't think my camera was affected by stains. But they have appeared and I just sent my camera in (yesterday). I didn't think about getting a return shipping label from Pentax, I just sent it in, paying for 2 day shipping (which doesn't bother me) as I'm the shipper and the person who declared the value. I'll definitely contact CRIS toward the end of the week to get the number to track it through their repair cycle.

Did anyone add any other problems beside the stains? I mentioned an additional intermittent AF problem I've had, I wonder if that will make any difference in processing time.
03-16-2011, 03:37 PM   #274
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Today I received my replacement. The stained body was a 388xxx serial number. The replacement is a 400xxx number.

I haven't properly checked yet, if the new one is stain-free. But it will

By the way, I am amazed, how DIFFERENT feeling the new body is. The new makes an impression of a much higher quality product. Right there in the up-market. It seems much tighter and tauter, the funny "clunk" noise is VERY, VERY different, the controls operate with a distinct sense of class (for want of a better word, they give a nice resistance). Amazing.

The older copy gave away a very noticable, almost hard/ harsh sensation of something physically moving inside accompanied with a laudible noise of something hard hitting something else, also hard. Now it's gone with the new copy. I hope it will stay this way. The "clunk" noise is much closer to the sound of releasing the shutter (or mashing with a tennis rocket into a boiled potato ).