Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2011, 07:37 PM   #91
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
There are some reports that K-5's marked as "Stain Free" by the gray circle on the packaging have developed stains.
Do you have a link. I've done some google searching but I cannot find anything. I'm very interested in this if it is true.

02-03-2011, 09:49 PM   #92
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Catalana Quote
With all due respect, this is exactly what annoys me. Some (many) people have legitimate problems. Then someone with several thousand posts shoots from the hip and makes slight of the issue. Some people are simply inadequately informed and generalize the issue to fit their personal perspective. Each stain issue will have its own qualities to a lesser or greater degree. Some will have visible areas of air pockets/bubbles, some will have the characteristic spots and some will have both.
First of all, what I said was meant to give the guy hope... i.e., he could take it on vacation and it wouldn't be a total disaster. Of course, I hadn't read back over the last few pages to know his camera had been at Pentax Canada being serviced for six weeks. That was definitely my bad. My statements were based on the hundreds of pages of forum threads I've read on the matter over the last month or more. From what I've seen, what I said is true. The majority of users who have encountered the stains find that they're only apparent when stopping down to an extreme degree, and most people don't shoot that often stopped down to f/22, unless they're doing macro work or they don't know their way around a dSLR. I'm sure there are exceptions where the stains are perfectly visible at larger apertures, but that seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

I didn't mean to call anyone an alarmist, or to trivialize anyone's problems with a very expensive and hyped piece of gear.

Interestingly, after having originally examined some stopped-down shots from MY K-5 and not having found any "pearls," today I decided I'd better have another look just to be sure, especially in light of the comments I made here.

Turns out my K-5 does in fact have the pearls, albeit only very faintly and only at f/22 and beyond. They may have been there all along and I just missed them on the first examination, or they may have developed over time. I don't have the original test files to re-check my work. I guess it's not entirely surprising since my camera was among the very first batch produced, but still a bit disappointing, as I'm sure you know.

I'm gonna wait a while till the hysteria dies down and, hopefully, the turnaround times get a bit shorter, because it doesn't really impact my day-to-day shooting at all. But anyway, now I know how it feels, at least a little bit.
02-03-2011, 09:51 PM   #93

Hi Greg, please let me retract the statement about the "Gray Circle" on the packaging, as I cannot wade through 2000 posts and find the reference. I do include some links on some German Pentax forums, of which the last 10-20 pages of each link are somewhat worrisome. Sorry, I don't expect you to be fluent in German, but that is the best I can do.

DigitalFotoNetz.de :: Thema anzeigen - K5 Sensordreck Compilation
Sensorflecken K5 - DSLR-Forum

Once again, the problem is being worked on, but as a potential buyer, I would not touch a K-5 until late April or even July. It is really a confidence issue for me. Neither am I willing to add a premium to the price of a camera with potential shipping costs, as so many have already experienced.
02-03-2011, 10:13 PM   #94

Hi deadwolf...
I fully understand what you are saying and hope I didn't cause aggravation. It just may be that I have been following several other threads on other forums (see above links), that may be a bit more concise and focused on the issue (by virtue of trying to maintain a single thread). In that sense, my postings here could as well be posted in other threads here or at DPR.

Now that you have noticed some minor stains on your sensor, I sincerely hope that you will not be to disappointed. You do have recourse, as you've said and that is a good thing. But do yourself a favor (and others); keep the recent and subsequent test shots. Chances are that you'll be able to document further growth/spreading of the stains. Neither is this meant as a gloat or some gleeful reply. Even Nikon's D7K has some serious issues with spots on its sensor, and would I be in the market for that camera, my reaction would be the same.

Peace....

02-03-2011, 10:48 PM   #95
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Catalana Quote
Hi deadwolf...
I fully understand what you are saying and hope I didn't cause aggravation. It just may be that I have been following several other threads on other forums (see above links), that may be a bit more concise and focused on the issue (by virtue of trying to maintain a single thread). In that sense, my postings here could as well be posted in other threads here or at DPR.

Now that you have noticed some minor stains on your sensor, I sincerely hope that you will not be to disappointed. You do have recourse, as you've said and that is a good thing. But do yourself a favor (and others); keep the recent and subsequent test shots. Chances are that you'll be able to document further growth/spreading of the stains. Neither is this meant as a gloat or some gleeful reply. Even Nikon's D7K has some serious issues with spots on its sensor, and would I be in the market for that camera, my reaction would be the same.

Peace....
No worries, I didn't take any offense at your post.

I will keep the shots and see if the stain grows or not.
02-03-2011, 11:05 PM   #96
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote

Turns out my K-5 does in fact have the pearls, albeit only very faintly and only at f/22
l:
Bummer

whats the serial and build date ?..is it a 38xx...
02-03-2011, 11:17 PM   #97
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
Bummer

whats the serial and build date ?..is it a 38xx...
Yep. 3823850.

Dunno about the build date.
02-04-2011, 04:49 AM   #98
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
With the premise that the K-5 is my pride and joy I'd say that the stains do not affect the joy part as much as the pride part . I'm sure you folks over there in the US at least can relate (you seem to be as keen as to have these big parades about it; although I can't say I always understand what makes you tick those sure seem like a lot of fun ).

02-04-2011, 07:37 AM   #99

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
So I sent a message to C.R.I.S and asked about the shipping. They said it would go out today regular ground. It could be 5-10 and with weather no promises. So I asked (I will get crap from a few that think I'm a fool) what about speeding it up if I pay extra for shipping? They gave me next day rate $85 2 day $65 (I think) or 3 day $35. I went with the 3 day so I should have it early next week. I know some will say stupid for paying when it was them but I want it back and want it sooner rather than later. Leaving 2/19 for a trip and would like at least a few days to make sure all well before we go.

Again, I will keep you posted on delivery status.
With a trip coming up, plus the weather we've been having, I don't blame you. Mine also shipped yesterday but via the regular shiping. UPS gives a delivery date of next Wednesday, but I'm in Michigan. You living in MA may have added another day.
02-04-2011, 08:26 AM   #100
Inactive Account

I sent mine To Arizona on Monday (1/31) and today (2/4) it's out for delivery. Even with all the mess of the storm this week.

Maybe I Won't be without it for the entire month.... Then again, it may be April before I see it again.

02-04-2011, 09:09 AM   #101
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by bikecoboss Quote
You know, you've sold me on your way of looking at things. I vow never to buy another piece of consumer electronics until strangers on the internet assure me that it is absolutely perfect and will never have any issues whatsoever.

Now I'm going for a unicorn ride. I'll try and get some pics.
Watch out that tongue doesn't cut thru that big old cheek of yours. Obviously, you've missed the point. If it's a simple "transaction" Hoya wants, then by all means get the lemon out and get your money in hand. Now, if it's good will, trust-based relationship selling to augment the brand and penetrate the market, then that's another story. You see - please excuse the lesson in simple economics - the barter system most of us use requires a fair exchange of a product or service for your hard-earned currency. The teeter is tottering all on Hoya's end, and the buying community should be made aware of such callous selling behavior. Now, go find yourself a snowstorm...I'm heading out to the golf course (Yes, I know, small of me, but it's true...I am heading out to play nine.) Cheers. Don
02-04-2011, 09:26 AM   #102

Received my replacement camera from AZ (CHRIS) today. They received it 1/25 - about 1 1/2 week turnaround on their part. Got full kit (so extra battery/charger from the exchange). So glad to have it back. I'm pleased with the turnaround/service. Obviously wish I didn't have to do it, but still glad to have the K-5 back. Although I really like my K20D its just not the same. My shooting style is so different with K-5 it was difficult to go backward. Off to reset my preferences and take some shots.
02-04-2011, 09:28 AM   #103
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Curious those that got thiers returned already. I sent in the Body with cover over the lens opening only. No strap, no battery nothing else. When you got your back did it include a new strap, new battery, new covers? Just wondering if I will end up with a second battery (which I would really like)
02-04-2011, 09:29 AM   #104
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jrforman Quote
Received my replacement camera from AZ (CHRIS) today. They received it 1/25 - about 1 1/2 week turnaround on their part. Got full kit (so extra battery/charger from the exchange). So glad to have it back. I'm pleased with the turnaround/service. Obviously wish I didn't have to do it, but still glad to have the K-5 back. Although I really like my K20D its just not the same. My shooting style is so different with K-5 it was difficult to go backward. Off to reset my preferences and take some shots.

LOLOL to funny I just posted this quetsion. Very cool!! For all the hassle anyway. That is amazing turn around time.
02-04-2011, 10:38 AM   #105
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by donallison13 Quote
Watch out that tongue doesn't cut thru that big old cheek of yours. Obviously, you've missed the point. If it's a simple "transaction" Hoya wants, then by all means get the lemon out and get your money in hand. Now, if it's good will, trust-based relationship selling to augment the brand and penetrate the market, then that's another story. You see - please excuse the lesson in simple economics - the barter system most of us use requires a fair exchange of a product or service for your hard-earned currency. The teeter is tottering all on Hoya's end, and the buying community should be made aware of such callous selling behavior. Now, go find yourself a snowstorm...I'm heading out to the golf course (Yes, I know, small of me, but it's true...I am heading out to play nine.) Cheers. Don
Actually, it is you who is having an ongoing problem with missing the point.
But if you don't get that by now, I'm not going to waste my time trying to explain it to you.