Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-03-2011, 10:39 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I called this morning and it sounds like they got a shipment in.

I went online to www.criscam.com and see the following:

Make/Model: PENTAX / K-5 DIGITAL CAMERA
Serial Number: 3982749
Problem: MY ISSUES WITH THE BODY ARE A SENSOR STAIN AS SHOW IN THE PHOTO ATTACHED.
Estimate: $0.00

Accessories: BLACK
Data Port Cover
Eye Cup
No Battery
No Memory Card
Body Cap CLEAR

Equipment Condition: NORMAL MINOR WEAR ON BODY DUSTY

Repair Performed: WARRANTY

YOUR PENTAX PRODUCT HAS BEEN REPLACED UNDER THE TERMS OF YOUR ORIGINAL
MANUFACTURER'S WARRANTY WITH A PENTAX PRODUCT OF EQUAL OR GREATER VALUE
REPLACEMENT MODEL = K5 COMPLETE KIT
REPLACED SEE NEW SERIAL # 3982749
OLD SERIAL # 3839123

I am not sure what "Equipment Condition: NORMAL MINOR WEAR ON BODY DUSTY" meant. It was brand shinny new. I am not going to argue. Either way looks like new one will be on the way back.

02-03-2011, 11:23 AM   #77

Found this posted elsewhere on the internets...

Posted Jan 27

Alright for those in Canada with the sensor stain issue, It appears Pentax Canada is ready to replace/repair your cameras, they replaced mine but they told me that for most they will just swap in a new sensor unit which will require a little bit of turn around time.

For those who haven't bought the new cameras should be making their ways to stores soon, my new serial number starts 3970*** These should be stain free

The poster reported in a later post that his sensor was stain-free, and the FF issue was also gone.

My Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 which had a front focus issue in low light on the old K-5 but no focus issue in good light now all of a sudden works in indoor low light EV4.3-5.3 artificial lighting My 77Ltd which worked fine still works fine

He lives near Pentax Canada, so dropped off and picked up in person.
02-03-2011, 11:26 AM   #78
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Go figure, you put $1,500 down for a lemon - they know it's a lemon - and you got to wait a month for a working lemon while they have your money in hand. What kind of "cash register mentality" do we have going on here folks? Are ya'll anal? Sometimes I think my good friend Rupert has it right. It's a barter system: You give your cash in good faith that a working body free of defects will be in your hands within a reasonable period of time. Seems to me like Pentax/Hoya has breached that contract by knowingly sending out that batch of lemons. Oh, yeh, I can't wait to get my hands on a good working copy. Waiting for a serial number that begins with "4". Cheers. Tarheel Don
02-03-2011, 11:36 AM   #79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So how does being outraged get the camera back any faster. Of course were all upset about the problems, and pissed that we had to send it in and wait, but how does getting my blood pressure up over it make things better for me?

02-03-2011, 12:11 PM   #80
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by donallison13 Quote
Go figure, you put $1,500 down for a lemon - they know it's a lemon - and you got to wait a month for a working lemon while they have your money in hand. What kind of "cash register mentality" do we have going on here folks? Are ya'll anal? Sometimes I think my good friend Rupert has it right. It's a barter system: You give your cash in good faith that a working body free of defects will be in your hands within a reasonable period of time. Seems to me like Pentax/Hoya has breached that contract by knowingly sending out that batch of lemons. Oh, yeh, I can't wait to get my hands on a good working copy. Waiting for a serial number that begins with "4". Cheers. Tarheel Don
02-03-2011, 12:25 PM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GregK8 Quote
So how does being outraged get the camera back any faster.
It doesn't... but it's nice to have somewhere to vent our frustration with folks going thru the same crap.

EDIT: Changed this post, I was pissed when I found out this morning that though I've been waiting a month for a "priority" replacement, store stocks were being supplied...

Last edited by ve2vfd; 02-03-2011 at 12:55 PM.
02-03-2011, 02:26 PM   #82
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
I was pissed when I found out this morning that though I've been waiting a month for a "priority" replacement, store stocks were being supplied...
That is not cool at all !! I hope you get it back soon!

02-03-2011, 02:53 PM   #83
Veteran Member

I wish I could do that, but I need my K5 for some upcoming travel... it's THE reason I bought the darn thing in the first place.

Pat
The stains are only really apparent at 100% zoom and when using an aperture that's smaller than the diffraction limit. Your camera would be perfectly usable in most situations, stains and all.

(And anyway, the stains are simple to clone out in post.)
02-03-2011, 03:06 PM   #84

QuoteOriginally posted by donallison13 Quote
You know, you've sold me on your way of looking at things. I vow never to buy another piece of consumer electronics until strangers on the internet assure me that it is absolutely perfect and will never have any issues whatsoever.

Now I'm going for a unicorn ride. I'll try and get some pics.
02-03-2011, 03:09 PM   #85
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
The stains are only really apparent at 100% zoom and when using an aperture that's smaller than the diffraction limit. Your camera would be perfectly usable in most situations, stains and all.
I agree that an odd spot here and there is barely visible, but I had 1 large and 2 small clusters of stains that were visible at far less than 100% and were a pain in the arse to clone out.

Also when I sent in my camera a month ago I was told it would be a quick swap for a new one... silly me for trusting the folks at Pentax Canada.

Pat
02-03-2011, 03:19 PM   #86
Veteran Member

I agree that an odd spot here and there is barely visible, but I had 1 large and 2 small clusters of stains that were visible at far less than 100% and were a pain in the arse to clone out.

Also when I sent in my camera a month ago I was told it would be a quick swap for a new one... silly me for trusting the folks at Pentax Canada.

Pat
Yeah, I posted that before I read back and saw your issues with Pentax Canada. Sorry about that. :|
02-03-2011, 04:12 PM   #87
Inactive Account

Are they?

They are in This photo because there is no real detail surrounding them but that isn't always the case. Oh, and BTW, I didn't have to zoom to any 100% to see this.

Scheduled to arrive in Arizona by end of the day Feb 4. We'll see if that actually happens.

02-03-2011, 06:47 PM   #88
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So I sent a message to C.R.I.S and asked about the shipping. They said it would go out today regular ground. It could be 5-10 and with weather no promises. So I asked (I will get crap from a few that think I'm a fool) what about speeding it up if I pay extra for shipping? They gave me next day rate $85 2 day $65 (I think) or 3 day $35. I went with the 3 day so I should have it early next week. I know some will say stupid for paying when it was them but I want it back and want it sooner rather than later. Leaving 2/19 for a trip and would like at least a few days to make sure all well before we go.

Again, I will keep you posted on delivery status.
02-03-2011, 07:18 PM   #89

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
So I sent a message to C.R.I.S and asked about the shipping. They said it would go out today regular ground. It could be 5-10 and with weather no promises. So I asked (I will get crap from a few that think I'm a fool) what about speeding it up if I pay extra for shipping? They gave me next day rate $85 2 day $65 (I think) or 3 day $35. I went with the 3 day so I should have it early next week. I know some will say stupid for paying when it was them but I want it back and want it sooner rather than later. Leaving 2/19 for a trip and would like at least a few days to make sure all well before we go.

Again, I will keep you posted on delivery status.
Again, you aren't alone. I paid for faster delivery so I could ensure I would have it in time for an event I want it for. And besides, I really miss it. Its worth it to me.
02-03-2011, 07:23 PM   #90

With all due respect, this is exactly what annoys me. Some (many) people have legitimate problems. Then someone with several thousand posts shoots from the hip and makes slight of the issue. Some people are simply inadequately informed and generalize the issue to fit their personal perspective. Each stain issue will have its own qualities to a lesser or greater degree. Some will have visible areas of air pockets/bubbles, some will have the characteristic spots and some will have both.

It is at times difficult enough to clone/heal out dust bunnies in the sky, where subtle gradations are present, but "dust" is easily controlled by sensor cleaning/maintenance.
Sensor stains cannot be removed by the user; plus the PP removal process is time consuming, especially if the spots are guaranteed to be there. The stains may develop belatedly and/or become more visible/prominent as the fluid/solvent/residue between the sensor and glass-plate/filter (or between glass-plates/filters) evaporates due to the heating of the sensor. This phenomena may affect a substantial number of early production K-5's. How many of these are still in the supply-chain is unknown. There are some reports that K-5's marked as "Stain Free" by the gray circle on the packaging have developed stains.

In general we don't know much about the assembly/manufacturing process of the sensor module and who is to blame. But one can maybe deduce a couple scenarios. The affected glass-plates/filters may have been subject to cleaning with a solvent/cleaning fluid that was contaminated or not allowed to desiccate prior to assembly. The moist residue would eventually be triggered to evaporate by a warming sensor and surface tension and irregularities in surface smoothness would randomly distribute the residue as "Strings of Pearls". Maybe it is the sensor that is subject to some cleaning process and had residue, or both.

I want to re-iterate that Pentax/Hoya has acknowledged the issue and they are working quite hard to sort it out. It is not the end of the world, but armed with a better understanding, we as consumers can make better and more timely choices.