Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-20-2011, 06:55 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sent my K5 to Pentax here is how it is going.

So I like other found a stain on my K5 sensor (serial # 3839123) as I indicated in this thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/125009-stains-your-k5d-s...ml#post1324230

I contacted Pentax USA via the CHAT function on the website and had this conversation on 01/06/11
Please wait while we find an agent to assist you...
All agents are currently busy. Please stand by.
You have been connected to Randall S.

Randall S: Thank you for contacting Pentax Chat Support. How may I help you?
Pat Brough: Hello, I have a Pentax K5 that I got as a gift bought at Amazon at or around Nov. 20th. I think the time to return has poast. I do have the stain on my sensor and want to know the process to have replaced or fixed. Thanks in advance for your help
Randall S: have you confirmed you have the stain on the sensor and not just dust on it?
Randall S: Not all K-5 cameras are affected by the sensor "stain" problem. The K-5 review page on the Enticing the Light Web site has excellent information on how to distinguish between dust on the sensor and an actual sensor “stain”. It also has a very good assessment of the actual effect of the stain on images. We encourage you to visit the link below for this information.
Review – Pentax K-5 | Enticing the Light

Pat Brough: Yes, here is link to a photo I took Pentax K5 stains at F20 :-( | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Randall S: okay, we can send you a pre-paid UPS shipping label. We need your address, phone number, email address, serial number of the camera.
Pat Brough: Ok 1 second
Pat Brough: Patrick Brough - MY PERSONAL INFO WAS HERE the serial number is 383XXX
Randall S: okay, got it
Randall S: our corporate office will email you the shipping label to print.
Pat Brough: Do you need an email address?
Randall S: i already got the email address.
Pat Brough: lol I gave it when I signed in lol forgot
Randall S: MY EMAIL
Randall S: right

Pat Brough: correct
Randall S: also include a note describing the problem, your return shipping address and a copy of your sales receipt.
Pat Brough: Will do, I assume box it us as it came to me with all parts.
Randall S: we only need you to send the camera body, no lens or accessories.
Pat Brough: Ok thanks for your help. anything else I need to do at this point?
Randall S: no, that's all you need.
Pat Brough: great thanks. by the way LOVE the camera ;-) what is the estimated turn around time on this sort of thing?
Randall S: usually 3-4 weeks
Pat Brough: OUCH. ok thanks
Randall S: Thank you for dropping by, Pat, and have a great day!
Thank you for using InstantService. You may now close this window.
Your session has ended. You may now close this window.

I will keep you all posted.

I figured the next day I would have an email but got nothing so I chatted again. see the conversation here https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/125009-stains-your-k5d-s...ml#post1331960

I waited one week with NO email from PENTAX so I chatted again on 01/12/11. I did not save that corrispondance but the jist was, oh we are sorry not sure what happened. Please watch your email and we will send you out email with package lable today.

They did in fact send out the UPS label on 01/12/11.

I have held off as an event came up and weather issues to send it out until today 01/20/11.

I included the emails and corrispondance with the chats, copy of reciept and the BODY ONLy as they instructed.

I was told 3 - 4 weeks. I have my fingures crossed and even indicated in the paper work and email back to them I am leaving on a trip on 02/19/11 - I HOPE they can have my replacement or repaired body back by then. I alos indicated I was willing to pay increased shipping if it would help get it back to me sooner.

I was told it should take 3-4 days to get to Pentax in AZ depending on the weather.

I will keep you all posted as I hear more.

If anyone has other experiance they want to share with sending back to Pentax feel free to share. Thanks

So thought I would share how my return is going

Last edited by vievetrick; 01-20-2011 at 07:40 AM. Reason: title change
01-20-2011, 10:26 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I could have just copied your story or just say me too (even in regard to shipping label and waiting for after an event). Mine went back on Tuesday of this week. Lets hope both of us are happily surprised.
01-20-2011, 03:43 PM   #3
Banned

I hope your all happy in march! I hear nothing is coming true at the time from Pentax france to the Netherlands. Wel busy times. Good luck to you (and myself).
01-20-2011, 04:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Well Singapore Pentax users were probably one of the earliest to receive the K-5 and K-r worldwide. I sent my K-5 in to our local Pentax agent over Christmas and got mine back from Pentax Japan just 9 days later, and that was just before the new year! Those who sent in their cameras in later batches also have about similar turnaround times. Kudos to my local Pentax agent and Pentax Japan for the stellar service. I guess depending on one's location, processing, shipping and overall turnaround times might differ.

01-20-2011, 06:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jrforman Quote
I could have just copied your story or just say me too (even in regard to shipping label and waiting for after an event). Mine went back on Tuesday of this week. Lets hope both of us are happily surprised.
Interesting, I will keep you posted and hope you can keep me posted as well.

Thanks Ron.

Creampuff - I would be happy with 2 weeks . 9 days is awesome.

Already missing the K5
01-20-2011, 08:03 PM   #6

Got mine back in three weeks and one day from the date it was received in Chandler. I never corresponded with Pentax repair during that time. Brand new K5 kit (battery, charger, cords etc). delivered by UPS.
01-20-2011, 08:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Plain Skies Quote
Got mine back in three weeks and one day from the date it was received in Chandler. I never corresponded with Pentax repair during that time. Brand new K5 kit (battery, charger, cords etc). delivered by UPS.
That's great news to hear! Those reports of 5-6 week return times were worrying me. Don't think I could hold out that long; already getting the shakes...

Hopefully this holds with mine, as it will be 2 weeks tomorrow since mine arrived at Pentax in AZ. Just 1 more week of running from the rain with my poor K-x.

01-20-2011, 08:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Did you send in battery, charger and cords? They just asked me to send body only.
01-21-2011, 03:55 AM   #9

I was instructed by Randy in Golden to remove battery, memory card, strap, and lens of course, for shipping. I left the hot shoe cover, the protective rubber eletronics cover for a battery grip and a lens mount cover....received in return a K5 kit identical to what I had purchased new from B&H.
01-21-2011, 07:13 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Plain Skies Quote
Which firmware version did it come with?
01-21-2011, 07:57 AM   #11
Veteran Member

The coming Tuesday it will be 6 weeks since I sent my K-5 back.

I will give them until the end of next week then ask for a refund .. and probably buy a 7D just out of spite.
01-21-2011, 08:42 AM   #12
Inactive Account

I'm watching this thread very carefully...

Just noticed this last night. I've taken 100s of photos with the lenses stopped down all the way, against sky, with blank walls in the background, never saw it before. Had a suspicion with some Christmas light photos but let it go to dust on the lens (wide open for the light ball bokeh).. I'm going to finish the SiJ game and send it in.

Attached Images

01-21-2011, 08:59 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Jeff ... Ouch! Your K5d has it bad

As for mine Pentax Canada has had it in their posession for over 2 weeks now and I have not heard a peep from them. Yesterday morning I sent them an email to find out what the heck can be taking so long. but no answer yet.

You would think that after selling us a defective product they would hurry up and go out of their way to keep their customers happy (it's not like it takes 2 weeks to take a camera, snap a pic at f22, see that it has bloody Pentax-Ebola and send another cam)... I guess that now that they have our money for their defective product we fall in the "they can wait" category.

Pat
01-21-2011, 09:24 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Just noticed this last night.

First time I have seen one like mine.

01-21-2011, 11:34 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Well, I just got news from Pentax Canada that they are waiting for stock from Japan.

I am wondering if they are treating this problem on a case-per-case basis and ordering replacements from Japan one by one? The 3 weeks turn around time for Canada/USA kind of hints at that.

Pat