Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2011, 07:48 AM   #1

Price falling or just a mistake?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I am pretty tempted to buy this...with the WR 18-55mm lens for ~$1350 shipped?!

Pentax K-5 Body +18-55mm WR Lens Kit - eBay (item 110635239530 end time Feb-11-11 01:42:28 PST)

Too bad it's shipping from Japan (not sure how warranty will work since Pentax has been pretty...inadequate even when I tried to go through them for US bought stuff).

Only K-5s I've seen at around this price have all been body only, so this seems to be pretty good.

01-21-2011, 08:08 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
hi... 'garyk' is a k-5 owner and forum member here... he purchased his k-5 from this seller, very happy, however it's a japanese warranty.... but i think he states they could offer a buyer an international warrranty instead..... they have an outstanding feedback rating...
(believe you can find his posting under the k-5 sensor stain thread)..
i've been tempted myself... let me know how you make out.....dave m
01-21-2011, 10:10 AM   #3
Banned

Photos: Gallery
handy tip, he also sels K-r in colours.
01-21-2011, 11:26 PM   #4

Original Poster
well I just bought a k-r during Christmas...and I told myself $1200 or less, but this with the wr lens is pretty much $1200 for the body. Grrrrr, must resist.

01-22-2011, 03:00 PM   #5

On eBay (U.S.) today there's listed multiple new K-5's with the kit lens at $1399. The seller is "cameraland" who seems reputable. They claim to be a Pentax authorized dealer.

PENTAX K-5 W 18-55 AL WR LENS NEW PENTAX USA WARRANTY - eBay (item 140504026694 end time Feb-21-11 09:51:08 PST)
01-23-2011, 09:49 PM   #6

Original Poster
yeah I saw that too...pretty good for a US one. One left.
01-23-2011, 10:14 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Baba Joof Quote
On eBay (U.S.) today there's listed multiple new K-5's with the kit lens at $1399. The seller is "cameraland" who seems reputable. They claim to be a Pentax authorized dealer.

PENTAX K-5 W 18-55 AL WR LENS NEW PENTAX USA WARRANTY - eBay (item 140504026694 end time Feb-21-11 09:51:08 PST)
I am pretty sure that they are the Camera Land on Lexington Ave. in NYC, website Cameras, Binoculars, Spotting Scopes, Rifle Scopes - Camera Land NY. I have been in their store, and it is upscale, definitely not fly-by-night. A quick phone call would confirm that they are the same as the seller on ebay.

The also sell binoculars and have a good rep in the birding community. I purchased Minox bins from them last year at a very low price.

FWIW, the price for the K-5 kit is much higher on their site than on ebay.

Edit: The auction ended while I was typing this.

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Charles; 01-23-2011 at 10:15 PM. Reason: auction ended
01-24-2011, 08:50 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Charles Quote
I am pretty sure that they are the Camera Land on Lexington Ave. in NYC, website Cameras, Binoculars, Spotting Scopes, Rifle Scopes - Camera Land NY. I have been in their store, and it is upscale, definitely not fly-by-night. A quick phone call would confirm that they are the same as the seller on ebay.

The also sell binoculars and have a good rep in the birding community. I purchased Minox bins from them last year at a very low price.

FWIW, the price for the K-5 kit is much higher on their site than on ebay.

Edit: The auction ended while I was typing this.

Jeff
Nope, seems to still be there.
01-26-2011, 11:20 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by hawk1500 Quote
Nope, seems to still be there.
My mistake. I clicked on the wrong link. It does look like the camera land item is ended now.
01-26-2011, 11:33 AM   #10

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Charles Quote
My mistake. I clicked on the wrong link. It does look like the camera land item is ended now.
I checked the link also and it had ended with 3 sold, but they added one more and now it ended again with 4 sold.

Maybe they will add another one or another auction.
01-26-2011, 11:53 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
prodigital in canada has the k-5 body for 1399- with free shipping to the states and canada... with 1 year international warranty... according to pentax imaging.. if in the states... it would go to repair at cris in arizona (that's if there are any warranty issues).... dave m
01-26-2011, 02:56 PM   #12
Mr_Canuck

I've bought non-camera gear from prodigital. Everything went fine. They have great prices, probably so-so return policies though. And mainly Mack warranties which have had a lot of bad rap.
01-27-2011, 07:44 AM   #13
Inactive Account

the price for k-5 has dropped quite a lot in japan from what im hearing from my buddies over there.

it dropped as low as like 90,000 yen, roughly about 1090 USD. body only....
it went back up around 10,000 yen, (around 1200 USD). so yea. it is cheaper to buy from japan direct as long as u can get the international warranty i think.

QuoteOriginally posted by betaPhoto Quote
Originally posted by Jeff Charles
I checked the link also and it had ended with 3 sold, but they added one more and now it ended again with 4 sold.

Maybe they will add another one or another auction.
yea. i bought one yesterday morning from camera land and it ended with 2 sold, including mine.....
looks like theyre doing one by one, tho idk why they would do that... (not additional info/notification from them yet. i'll keep you guys posted what happens. as long as i get it by next week before wednesday im good. )

even if the price in japan is faling, it's still a damn good price to get the k-5 + 18-55 WR lens kit for 1400. plus you don't have to deal with japanese warranty... tho im sure u can get international warranty via pentax.
im too lazy to do that (unless im gonna move somewhere), and dealing with customs and stuff (altho im not even sure if there will be one.)

Last edited by kwonjustin; 01-27-2011 at 07:51 AM.
01-27-2011, 12:57 PM   #14

I received the K5 w/ WR Kit Lens from Camera Land today via the $1399 eBay auction. All looks well. Shutter count was at 1, and I did a basic test for stains and didn't see any.

Also included in the package was an official Camera Land receipt with my name on it! This is great as from my experience most eBay stores do not include one. Very helpful for warranty purposes, I would think. They also included a Camera Land post card with three Camera Land guys in it.

It looks like the auction is over for sure, but if they decide to re-list, I wholeheartedly recommend them! The only negatives I can think of are (1) that there was zero communication from them after the sale (no tracking, no confirmation, etc.), but I ordered on Saturday and got it Thursday. Not bad at all. And (2) they do have a 10% restocking fee for returns. I don't plan on returning it, so no problem for me, plus I can certainly understand such a policy for relatively smaller businesses as compared to Amazon or B&H. Also (3) they could do a much better job displaying their listings and might get more sales if they did.
01-27-2011, 10:14 PM   #15

Original Poster
Hey, congrats! Hope you have lots of fun with the camera. Yeah, I noticed that they had a new auction, but even that has ended.