Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2011, 11:46 AM   #46
Site Supporter
Bramela's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Newcastle Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,281
+1 bikecoboss! This same old dirge is becoming boring and very droll.
These trolls are wearing very thin with their mundane repetition, surely they can come up with something new, and with a bit of originality.
..Whatever floats their boat, I suppose.

I have a very early purchased K5 and it rocks. So don't believe all you read from these comments by people who have yet to even purchase one, as in this case.
Yes, it had a couple of very small stains, and this being attended to, but honestly, just get on with it, and leave this totally thrashed out subject to it the death it has long ago suffered.

02-02-2011, 12:11 PM   #47
Pentaxian




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SW Washington
Posts: 820
Pentax should "be different" and at the very least make silver a standard color option for its semi-pro line from now on (maybe not the 645D, as that would look kinda like a big iron block). Being a "semi-pro" or "enthusiast" or "person with CBA and plenty of disposable income" doesn't mean you don't like colors. I know I definitely would've picked up a K-5 silver if it was available at the time.

A lot of the publicity for Pentax among the general public has been about their "unique" colors for their DSLRs. The K-x has been a great success, not only because of its specs, but because the colors brought it to the attention of those who don't normally frequent camera sites, and thus would not know about the performance/value. The response for the announcement of the silver K-7 was overwhelmingly positive, even among general tech blogs like Engadget. It doesn't cost much to dye the outer plastic, and it has great marketing potential. They might even convince some people of the durability of the cameras by making them look "metallic".

Just make it available from the start, though. Early adopters need some love too!

Btw, don't expect it to be actual metal. The standard K-5 is fully encased in a plastic shell, and making it metal would require significant redesign. And just my speculation, but it might even affect the durability: plastic can absorb some of the energy of an impact by flexing elastically or cracking, but bare metal is not very elastic and would tend to dent permanently and/or transmit shock to the internal parts.

Last edited by Cannikin; 02-02-2011 at 04:02 PM.
02-02-2011, 12:37 PM   #48
Veteran Member
macTak's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 759
QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
The standard K-5 is fully encased in a plastic shell, and making it metal would require significant redesign. And just my speculation, but it might even affect the durability: plastic can absorb some of the energy of an impact by flexing elastically or cracking, but plain metal is not very elastic and would tend to dent permanently and conduct shock to the internal parts.
No, the K-5, like the K-7 before it, has a magensium alloy body (in large part). See: http://www.fareastgizmos.com/entry_images/0910/20/pentax_k5_body.jpg

In case you are still wondering, this photostream has some pictures of the cut-away K-5 where you can clearly see where the body is metal:
PENTAX K-5 body - a set on Flickr

So actually, the parts that would be silver in the K-5 Silver would be mostly (not the pop-up flash) over metal. That does not mean it still won't be a paint job--as I recall the K-7 Limited Silver was a painted finish, and considering that the plastic flash part needs to blend with the metal parts, I still think it likely to be paint.
02-02-2011, 12:40 PM   #49
Pentaxian




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SW Washington
Posts: 820
QuoteOriginally posted by macTak Quote
No, the K-5, like the K-7 before it, has a magensium alloy body (in large part). See: http://www.fareastgizmos.com/entry_images/0910/20/pentax_k5_body.jpg

In case you are still wondering, this photostream has some pictures of the cut-away K-5 where you can clearly see where the body is metal:
PENTAX K-5 body - a set on Flickr
I know the chassis/body is metal, but I'm talking about the actual external shell layer (the stuff you touch on the outside). Every single external surface on the entire body is plastic or rubber. It is a thin layer of textured plastic on top of the stainless steel/magnesium alloy body. There is no exposed metal anywhere except for the lens mount and tripod mount.


Last edited by Cannikin; 02-02-2011 at 04:18 PM.
02-02-2011, 12:59 PM   #50
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 9,345
As macTak said, the external shell is magnesium alloy (in large part) The internal chassis is stainless steel - don't even think to argue about this, it's well documented on their websites. And I can certify the body feels different than the (plastic shell) K20D, much colder in winter.
Of course, it's painted. The silver version will be painted as well, I'd guess.
02-02-2011, 01:03 PM   #51
Veteran Member
macTak's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 759
QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
I know the chassis/body is metal, but I'm talking about the actual external shell (the stuff you touch on the outside). Every single external surface on the entire body is plastic or rubber. It is a thin layer of textured plastic on top of the stainless steel/magnesium alloy body. There is no exposed metal anywhere except for the lens mount and tripod mount.
I got you now--I just consider that a "painted finish", using the term somewhat loosely. For it's really just an external coating, not a proper shell or layer than can be removed (on the metal places).
02-02-2011, 01:04 PM   #52
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,714
QuoteOriginally posted by S_V Quote
Цена к-5 серебро на сколько выше к-5 стандарт?
I forgot, but it was less then a 100 euro's.
02-02-2011, 02:06 PM   #53
Pentaxian




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SW Washington
Posts: 820
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
As macTak said, the external shell is magnesium alloy (in large part) The internal chassis is stainless steel - don't even think to argue about this, it's well documented on their websites. And I can certify the body feels different than the (plastic shell) K20D, much colder in winter.
Of course, it's painted. The silver version will be painted as well, I'd guess.
Ok, I admit I cannot definitively prove that it is plastic, without tearing it apart, but I have very strong evidence from an unlikely source: the lens hood of the 18-135.

On the outside of the hood there is a substance that is identical in texture in every way to the external shell of the K-5. This substance is distinct from the plastic material that makes up the structure of the hood itself. It is visibly separate when viewed from the edge on. This layer is extremely thin. About the thickness of a sheet of paper by my estimation. This layer serves no purpose other than to give a certain texture to the outside of the hood, while the main structure is made up of a very different plastic with completely different texture. It is also not paint (in the traditional use of the term), because it has a definite, solid, hard edge to it.

Yes, as macTack accurately describes, this material is integral to the structure it is applied to (cannot be separated without damaging it), and is so thin it might as well be paint, but it is clearly a separate plastic material.

I am almost certain this is the same material used to cover the entire body of the K-5 to give it consistent texture between the back panel (undeniably solid plastic) and the metallic body. It is extremely difficult to make paint have perfectly the same texture as plastic. It is much easier to make a consistent texture by coating every surface with a very thin layer of the same substance (essentially "painting" with plastic), while letting the base material (metal or stronger plastic) handle the structural integrity. A plastic layer is also more resistant to scratching or damage than paint, and provides a slight "buffer" to direct damage to the substance underneath.

Whatever the technique, it is clear that the outer surface of the K-5 is not bare metal. A layer this thin (~0.1mm thick) would do little to the thermal conductivity properties of the base material, and would easily feel as "cold" as the metal underneath as you have clearly noticed.


Last edited by Cannikin; 02-03-2011 at 05:29 AM.
02-02-2011, 02:30 PM   #54
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 9,345
"Prove"? You're talking as if it is plastic...
Take a look: K-5 : Digital SLR Cameras : PENTAX
If you want to say that most of the camera's external surface is coated metal, that's one thing; but don't try to convince us it has a plastic shell.
And again, a silver camera won't be "bare metal"; it would be painted or anodized. Are silver cars not painted?
02-02-2011, 02:45 PM   #55
Pentaxian




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SW Washington
Posts: 820
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
"Prove"? You're talking as if it is plastic...
Take a look: K-5 : Digital SLR Cameras : PENTAX
If you want to say that most of the camera's external surface is coated metal, that's one thing; but don't try to convince us it has a plastic shell.
And again, a silver camera won't be "bare metal"; it would be painted or anodized. Are silver cars not painted?
I know what material the body is made out of. The stuff you touch with your fingers is a textured, paper thin, plastic coating applied directly to the metal surface to provide it with a consistent texture with the rest of the plastic surfaces.

Yes, as you say it is more accurately described as a "coating", and I will admit that it was poor wording of me to describe it as a shell (as it is not as thick as I had originally assumed), but it is not "paint", but plastic coating the metal. It is not something that can be washed, scratched or peeled off like the paint on your car, but will flex and crack like plastic.

Also, I will admit that my initial speculation (about the structural properties of this plastic) is not valid, as it is too thin to absorb any damage.

Last edited by Cannikin; 02-03-2011 at 05:29 AM.
02-02-2011, 02:58 PM   #56
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 9,345
"flex and crack"? Have you ever touched a K-5?
02-02-2011, 03:01 PM   #57
Pentaxian
bobmaxja's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Laval, Quebec Canada
Posts: 1,736
OK guy , I work all my life in the plastic business. I have a K5 and a K-X. The K-5 is not plastic. First , the frame is cold to the touch and plastic is not that way. Put your finger on the handle, LCD sreen or button , you will feel that the heat transmission is very very different
Also you can not mold a frame in plastic so thin to fit over the metal piece. They painted the frame and they can also paint the plastic part to look exactly the same like they do for automobile
The paint anyway is almost now made from polymer
02-02-2011, 03:05 PM   #58
Pentaxian




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SW Washington
Posts: 820
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
"flex and crack"? Have you ever touched a K-5?
I was stating my suspicion that if you try to remove the outer surface, it will not peel but "flex and crack". I would be willing to bet that if you bashed the K-5 hard enough, the outer surface would have a crack or chip in it, not a dent like the metal underneath.

And yes, I have a K-5 in my hands right now.

Last edited by Cannikin; 02-02-2011 at 07:08 PM.
02-02-2011, 03:12 PM   #59
Pentaxian




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SW Washington
Posts: 820
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
OK guy , I work all my life in the plastic business. I have a K5 and a K-X. The K-5 is not plastic. First , the frame is cold to the touch and plastic is not that way. Put your finger on the handle, LCD sreen or button , you will feel that the heat transmission is very very different
Also you can not mold a frame in plastic so thin to fit over the metal piece. They painted the frame and they can also paint the plastic part to look exactly the same like they do for automobile
The paint anyway is almost now made from polymer
Very well, I admit defeat. I made a bad initial wording based on an inaccurate assumption (the surface is not a real "shell", but just a very thin layer applied directly to the metal).

I just made an off-hand comment and never meant for it to escalate into arguments and misunderstandings. I apologize for derailing this topic, and am dropping the subject. Please carry on as if this didn't happen.

Last edited by Cannikin; 02-03-2011 at 05:11 AM.
02-02-2011, 05:21 PM   #60
Veteran Member
frank's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,202
QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
I was stating that if you try to remove the outer surface, it will not peel but "flex and crack". I would be willing to bet that if you bashed the K-5 hard enough, the outer surface would have a crack or chip in it, not a dent like the metal underneath.

And yes, I have a K-5 in my hands right now.
My friend dropped his K7, the base 'dented' like other old film cameras with thin metal frame. The edge of my K7 base lost quite a bit pain after over one year usage, exposed the metal frame.

Normally metals aren't used w/o some protective paint or anodized coating, the black color on K7/K5 body are just painted black like other metal materials when used as out-shells.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k-5 silver, k5, pentax k-5, rumors, silver
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
you had to see this one coming gokenin General Talk 7 08-23-2010 12:51 PM
Sports Coming down Elva Post Your Photos! 1 05-19-2010 07:29 PM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax 43mm limited(Silver) and 77mm limited(Silver) and more pighead Sold Items 17 03-14-2009 11:35 AM
Is it coming or going? J.Scott Post Your Photos! 10 07-17-2008 06:52 PM
what coming? PaengBonafe Pentax News and Rumors 6 08-21-2007 06:27 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:09 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top