Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2011, 06:16 PM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
My friend dropped his K7, the base 'dented' like other old film cameras with thin metal frame. The edge of my K7 base lost quite a bit pain after over one year usage, exposed the metal frame.
I know I said I'd drop the subject, but I can't help but be a bit curious now if you guys don't mind:

For your friend's K-7, in the dented area, was the black coating totally intact and just bend with the metal, or did it come off revealing the silver surface underneath?
Also, you say the "metal frame" was exposed on your K-7, which I assume means the silver surface was revealed. Did the black surface scratch off or chip off?

02-02-2011, 07:00 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
I know I said I'd drop the subject, but I can't help but be a bit curious now if you guys don't mind:

For your friend's K-7, in the dented area, was the black coating totally intact and just bend with the metal, or did it come off revealing the silver surface underneath?
Also, you say the "metal frame" was exposed on your K-7, which I assume means the silver surface was revealed. Did the black surface scratch off or chip off?

For my friend's k7, the dent is pretty bad, like those MX w/ dented tops. The black coating was intact. He spent $100SGD to change the base.

Have you ever seen an LX with a lot brassing on the edges? My K7 was just like, not chip or scratch off, just those aged looking (my K7 wasn't so bad though):

02-02-2011, 07:07 PM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
For my friend's k7, the dent is pretty bad, like those MX w/ dented tops. The black coating was intact. He spent $100SGD to change the base.

Have you ever seen an LX with a lot brassing on the edges? My K7 was just like, not chip or scratch off, just those aged looking (my K7 wasn't so bad though):
Ok, that answers a lot questions for me. Thanks.
02-03-2011, 01:24 AM   #64
Inactive Account

Olisi parenpi, kun pentax toisi markkinoille kameran jossa ei olisi hopeeta, ei kennossa tahroja, ei sonyn kennoa ollenkaan. Kennon koko voisi olla kasvatettu 35mm tasolle.

02-03-2011, 04:03 AM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote

Cannikin, I actually saw the damaged bottom plate that Frank mentioned at our local Pentax service center as the camera belonged to a mutual friend. When I held it, I was very surprised how light it was. The base color of the magnesium bottom plate facing the camera innards is a light brownish grey. As you know magnesium is reactive if left exposed, so it is some protective coating to prevent oxidation. The exterior black surface is I believe a coating of black anodizing and dented area did not flake or chip off. It is most definitely not polycarbonate plastic or a plastic coating. Quite different from the film cameras of old as they typically used brass or aluminium alloy with silver or black chrome applied.

Last edited by creampuff; 02-03-2011 at 04:12 AM.
02-03-2011, 04:59 AM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Cannikin, I actually saw the damaged bottom plate that Frank mentioned at our local Pentax service center as the camera belonged to a mutual friend. When I held it, I was very surprised how light it was. The base color of the magnesium bottom plate facing the camera innards is a light brownish grey. As you know magnesium is reactive if left exposed, so it is some protective coating to prevent oxidation. The exterior black surface is I believe a coating of black anodizing and dented area did not flake or chip off. It is most definitely not polycarbonate plastic or a plastic coating. Quite different from the film cameras of old as they typically used brass or aluminium alloy with silver or black chrome applied.
Yes, I admit that I was just plain wrong. I was mislead by the texturing being identical across various surfaces.

I apologize for the misinformation and any confusion I may have caused.

Last edited by Cannikin; 02-03-2011 at 05:25 AM.
02-07-2011, 03:46 PM   #67
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Its here officially:
Digital Cameras and Accessories - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site

Looks good!

-

02-07-2011, 05:30 PM   #68
Veteran Member

Worldwide on stock in March/April
02-07-2011, 08:21 PM   #69
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I hadn't actually taken the time to look at the K5 before todays e-mail from pentax.
I purchased an entry level Kx last year and it serves my needs more than adequately.
So when the K5 and Kr came out i gave them a glance, noticed the price tags and just decided not to look at them too closely because then i might convince myself that i needed one.
Well, today i checked out the new silver K5 and wow, that camera is something else.
I think they hired some really good designers at pentax to make their cameras look great.
When i look at other brand dslr cameras, i notice the form follows function style and well, it doesn't really excite.
However looking at my Kx and the new line up from pentax, i notice the flow and layout of the dials and switches, the radius of the edges, the textures, it all looks deliberate and not an afterthought.
Silver really makes that K5 pop.
I need a silver K5, so so much, along with the limited silver lenses.
02-07-2011, 08:46 PM   #70

looks like they are releasing some silver lenses with it too! Does anyone have some picture of the silver K-5 or K-7 with a black lens on?
02-07-2011, 10:38 PM   #71
Veteran Member

Silver DA Ltds is pretty badass.
02-08-2011, 02:13 AM   #72

Anyone seen anything about availability or price in the UK? I'm just about ready to replace my K10D and was going to get the Std K5, but I could easily be tempted to go for the Silver instead.

Thanks
02-08-2011, 02:34 AM   #73
Banned

Well that is one cool chicken

Not a cheap set (you only need one 40mm).
02-08-2011, 04:49 AM   #74
Inactive Account

Hyvä näin.
02-08-2011, 01:02 PM   #75

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh man, that's nice!

Oh my goodness, look at those silver DA Limited lenses... Pentax what are you doing to us? Who is going to be the first to have all FA and DA lenses in silver?

Hey what about a silver DA15mm f/4 and the DA35mm f/2.8?