Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2011, 12:51 AM   #46
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
I doubt it has anything to do with a hot sensor as all of my crashes/freezes happened at totally random times, not always when shooting pics either (sometimes after turning the camera on and navigating thru menus)

My personal opinion (and of course it's only an opinion!) is that it's nothing more than sloppy programming simply randomly crashing on us (blue screen of death anyone?).

The funny thing is that I've had a K110d, a K100d and a K20d for years and not one of them has EVER frozen or crashed on me.

Pat
My K10D freezes frequently, my K20D less so, and my K5 not at all so far (early days). My neighbour has Canons, and they lock up too - I guess it's just the nature of the beasts.

03-25-2011, 06:33 PM   #47
Inactive Account

Two months after the discussion but I just joined because I just had this same problem and I've had my camera for 3 days... I was hesitant to pull the battery but did after reading these posts. I'm still familiarizing myself with the camera, was trying HDR and after several shots where it worked fine, it froze during processing. I had a relatively low shutter speed... maybe trouble aligning? I've never had this happen with previous cameras but I never had a camera this complex either. Otherwise, very impressed with K 5 so far.
03-25-2011, 10:53 PM   #48
Inactive Account

My K5 froze up right before a shoot last week. Had to pull the main battery to get it to reset. Pulling the grip didn't work. I've narrowed it down to movie mode. I remember the camera selector dial was on movie when I tried to turn it on. If I turn the camera off then on a few times, I can get it to happen again...but only when it's in movie mode. You hear the sensor dust reduction sound then no response from any button. All I see on the display is the fully charged battery indicator. I've also tried this with or with out the grip. Same either way.
I've tried every other mode on the dial while turning the camera on then off. As soon as it's selected for movie it freezes. It's really starting to tick me off. This camera performes flawless for me except for this. NOT GOOD!!!
03-27-2011, 02:43 PM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter

I had a freeze yesterday. Full battery, no grip, 1.03. This was my first freeze since I bought the camera in December. I programmed the RAW/Fx button to switch to bracket (3 shots). I'd been switching to bracket and back to single and pressing the RAW/Fx button a few times to see what it would do. Pulling the battery fixed it.

Richard.

04-10-2011, 08:59 PM   #50

1 week old Silver K5 froze during an engagement shoot, had to pull the battery to get it to work. Not happy to find out this is a common problem X(
04-10-2011, 10:47 PM   #51
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I was hoping firmware v.1.03 would get the K5 up and running correctly and consistently. Sold my Pentax gear prior to v. 1.03 after getting a stained one with FF issue too. I gave up bought a Nikon. Very reliable camera. I wanted to buy the K5 to use with primes, once I got my tax return, but never mind until Pentax really fixes the FF and the freezing problems. It's just a shame though because I really wanted the camera to get well and fulfill its potential.
04-21-2011, 03:16 AM   #52
Pentaxian

My K5 (1.03) freezes sometimes when using liveview. And ALWAYS when I try the composition/tilt/shift function. I haven't been able to use that feature. I see other have though!

Also, it seems like it freezes more often when the battery is almost depleted. But that may just be a feeling.

Any chance this wil be fixed in a future update?
05-21-2011, 05:39 AM   #53
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I hope it will be resolvable, and encourage all who have ongoing freeze problems consistently in one aspect of the K-5's function to make it known to Pentax Support.

I have had my first freeze also in live view. Battery full, v1.03, no horizon correction. AF square goes yellow to indicate face detection (roaming around to find a subject to lock onto) but then as I go to release the shutter while the AF square is still yellow... freeze. Battery needs to come out. That's a niggle I didn't want to see. It's OK when the AF square is white again, meaning under manual control, but anyone else match this problem?

Last edited by Ash; 05-23-2011 at 05:52 AM.
05-23-2011, 05:16 AM   #54
Site Supporter

My freezes, about 4 or 5, have been with the grip on, AF-S, and small aperture settings.
Seems like the K-5's brain gets overloaded at times.
I hope Pentax is busy addressing this issue, it's such a wonderful camera.

Last edited by robtcorl; 05-23-2011 at 05:22 AM.
06-01-2011, 07:36 PM   #55
Forum Member

Embarrassed to say...

K5 froze today. Could not even turn it off.
The only thing visible in viewfinder was a red focus point.
Fresh battery-no grip.

Had just changed a lens and I think perhaps I did it with power on.

Old firmware in unit .

Tsk,tsk, tsk.

Pulled battery to force power down and powered up OK
07-25-2011, 07:47 AM   #56
Site Supporter

Hi, not sure if anyone has found an answer to this problem yet, my K5 froze at the weekend for the first time. I was shooting in hi speed continuous with AF-C, which seems to be a common theme. I have done a bit of shooting like this before as this is a weekly race which I often take photos at, no previous problems. Battery (pentax) was absolutely fully charged. freshly formatted memory card (Sandisk extreme pro 45MB/s). had to take the battery out.
Updated the firmware to 1.11 from 1.03 (I think) afterwards so I'll try to replicate it later. What response from pentax if you contact them, and has anyone had one sent back after repair that still froze?
cheers!
07-25-2011, 09:26 AM   #57
Forum Member

Hello,
the same happened to my K-5 on Paris Air Show, shot in continuous mode all day as suddenly the cam froze could not switch it off.....:-(
pulled the battery shortly out and replaced it again..everything was fine...

Greetings, Sascha
07-26-2011, 02:37 AM   #58
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My K5 frozen once, with firmware 1.03, not low battery, but due to busy tasks.

What I did is to shoot in raw, continuous mode, take 7-10 frames, then while the body is busy to write to the memory card, press Play to review the last frame, while the camera still busy, half press the release button to force into record mode, then take some more photos, and repeat the procedure. Sooner or later the body gets frozen.

I also tried with video, mixing with burst shoots, and got frozen easier.

It's not often I stress the camera this way, but sometime, and it is so annoying when I have to reset the camera by taking out the battery.

For me, the frozen problem seems to be a bad software design, that the body cannot handle/buffered several tasks. I have not time to retest the K5, but I hope I can reproduce the problem with more consistently result.

My K5 has mirror flops and frozen that make me want to go back to film body. The K5 is superior to the K20, but I need to keep both, cannot trust the K5 as the K20.
09-07-2011, 10:20 AM   #59

How to freeze my k5

Hi all, I have had the freezing problem since I bought my K5 a few months ago. I found how to reproduce the error:

1) set video mode
2) from the off position rotate the off-on lever passed the on position all the way to diaphragm symbol, and immediately bring it back to off.
3) turn on again and it's frozen

Note that if you do step 2 without reaching the diaphragm symbol position it won't freeze.

Anybody solved this issue?

Thank you
Greetings

Pentax K5, v1.03
09-07-2011, 12:12 PM   #60
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just interested...

QuoteOriginally posted by penva Quote
Hi all, I have had the freezing problem since I bought my K5 a few months ago. I found how to reproduce the error:

1) set video mode
2) from the off position rotate the off-on lever passed the on position all the way to diaphragm symbol, and immediately bring it back to off.
3) turn on again and it's frozen

Note that if you do step 2 without reaching the diaphragm symbol position it won't freeze.

Anybody solved this issue?

Thank you
Greetings

Pentax K5, v1.03
Just interested... Why would you do the procedure that you outlined above? Is it part of a procedure to shoot something or view something?