Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2011, 01:29 PM   #61
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by penva Quote
1) set video mode
2) from the off position rotate the off-on lever passed the on position all the way to diaphragm symbol, and immediately bring it back to off.
3) turn on again and it's frozen

You are right, its reproducible on my new body with 1.11 that has no lockups anymore from low battery. But as Lammie points out, its obtuse enough that until you outlined it I had never run across it and hope others have not either.

09-07-2011, 01:45 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I am not belittling anyone's problems but...

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
You are right, its reproducible on my new body with 1.11 that has no lockups anymore from low battery. But as Lammie points out, its obtuse enough that until you outlined it I had never run across it and hope others have not either.
I totally understand people's frustrations with their respective problems. I honestly don't know if my cameras have any of these problems. If something arises while using them during my usual procedures then I surely will not feel good about it.

Not to beat a dead horse, but like all things electronic (and digital) there are bound to be some issues with controls that will create conflicts. Maybe it is not an appropriate analogy but it makes me think of a digital delay effect that I use while playing guitar. There are several potentiometers that adjust level, mix, depth, duration, etc. If you turn them all to their maximums you get aural garbage. Is that they way it was intended to be used? No, but I can force the device to misbehave that way if I want.
09-07-2011, 02:12 PM   #63

First let me say that, apart from this issue, I love this camera and the pictures it takes.

And yes, it may be an odd procedure - although it's not that difficult to go past the on position if you switch it on rapidly.

I am just try to track it down, as I had a few freezes before and I just try to reproduce them before I bring it back. Previous freezes happened while normal use, but I could not reproduce them, and I wouldn't want to have the camera run out of warranty before I rediscover that some other normal (but maybe rare) procedure causes another freeze.

In any case , if removing the battery fixes it, one would think that turning the camera off should also fix it. At least this is what I would expect from semi pro camera, in my opinion.

Having said this, I love it anyway, just wish I could trust it more.
09-07-2011, 02:20 PM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Took me 5 tries before I got the timing right to reproduce lockup. I file this under one of those "Let me see if I can f-up my camera by pushing all the buttons at once" tests..
This on v 1.11.

09-07-2011, 03:24 PM   #65
Veteran Member

I am going to let this go, but...

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Took me 5 tries before I got the timing right to reproduce lockup. I file this under one of those "Let me see if I can f-up my camera by pushing all the buttons at once" tests..
This on v 1.11.
...this jogs my memory from childhood.

My father bought us a keyboard that had a rhythm section drum machine-type of thing built into it. There was a row of about 10-12 mechanincal buttons with labels like samba, polka, rock'n roll 1, rock'n roll 2, etc. When you pushed one button in to set a rhythm you could push a different button in to make the first button pop out and get the new rhythm going. Soon we discovered that if you pushed more than one button in at one time, the buttons would stay in and, you would get multiple rhythms overlayed on top of each other. Cool! So what happens if you push ALL the buttons in at one time? You get a wild #ss rhythm going, but (OOPS) there were no buttons left to push in to make the ones that were pushed in pop back out. My father was not too amused that we managed to break the thing in less than an afternoon.

P.S. He fixed it by taking it apart and fiddling with it. I am pretty sure that it was years before there were enforceable warranties on such things so he was the service department.
09-07-2011, 04:01 PM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

After reading through these post I will try to avoid the sequence that locks up the camera. Nice "hack" never the less.
Now, lets find the secret factory "hard reset" button that must be there. Pulling batteries can get old real fast.
Could be a 2 or 3 key combination or a little hole under some cover. Just never know.
09-08-2011, 02:11 AM   #67
Veteran Member

Hi all, I have had the freezing problem since I bought my K5 a few months ago. I found how to reproduce the error:

1) set video mode
2) from the off position rotate the off-on lever passed the on position all the way to diaphragm symbol, and immediately bring it back to off.

Even if there is no need to carry out this sort of thing in practice this could indicate an underlying problem (say, a race condition in interrupt handling) which would occasionally crash the camera under more regular use. In that case being able to reliably reproduce a problem is very valuable to software developers looking for fix.
09-08-2011, 05:29 AM   #68
uem

Freeze while Video

Dear colleagues,
my k-5 frooze a few times, but ONLY when in video mode.
actually, when I stop the video, it hungs up and I need to remove the battery.
So far I couldn't find a reproducable way of forcing it - mostly it works, but sometimes it doesn't, except, its normally not the very first time I use the video after switching on.

Regards

Urs, Switzerland

PS I still think, the K-5 is a fine piece (except, above, of course...)

09-08-2011, 06:38 AM   #69
Veteran Member

1) set video mode
Bug confirmed on my camera. Firmware v1.11. But it looks more like an easter egg than something you would encounter on a daily basis. You need to send this to Pentax for a future fix (when it's easily reproducible, it's easily fixable).
09-09-2011, 01:40 AM   #70
uem

(No) Freeze in Video mode - fast card

Got a new fast scandisk extreme card - 30 MB/sec - and first very preliminary & quick tests showed good performance and no freezing, while on video.
I’m not shure what speed / quality my other cards are – there is not data on the card, so maybe only 20 MB/sec or less.
I’ll report, if I get other infos.

Regards

Urs
09-09-2011, 02:46 AM   #71
Forum Member

Had my first and so far only freeze. Latest firmware and about 5000 shots in. Was doing very close macro with the 35 limited on a moving spider and after about 8 shots and constant rapid focus chasing it locked up. No idea how much charge was on the battery but I did think in the seconds before that I was pushing the focus drive very hard. Been fine since.
09-18-2011, 02:15 AM   #72
uem

Bad news - repeated freezes while on video

had again a few freezes, while videoing in the mountains...lost a number of - hopefully !! - nice video shots....frustration, frustration..
I tried th repeat the shooting pattern at home - various still /foto serial-sequences, changing with many video sequences...NO freeze on this test , where it doesn't count....

Urs
08-14-2012, 01:50 AM   #73
uem

"warm-up" on video freezes...

Dear colleagues,

While on holiday in Wales, I had a few new cases of"Video-freezes", even when using one of the super-fast cards.

BUT, and this was my possible discovery: All freezes occurred towards the end of the day OR when Iforget to recharge the accu.

Hence my preliminary conclusion: For intensive video work :1) Keep the accu as fully charged as possible, 2) replace with a full new one....or 3) install the extra handgrip

Regards

Urs

PS: Maybe the accu / power problem could also be part ofthe failures - with other reported freezes - on other camera models ?

08-14-2012, 03:37 AM   #74

i can't reproduce it on my camera, latest firmware.
although 1 time, the first week i had the camera, i had a freeze just like uem had... video mode, stop recording and the hourglass symbol just stayed there, the camera wasnt responding until i removed the battery, but that was just one time...
the card i use is the sandisk extreme.
08-16-2012, 07:25 PM   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mine wouldn't turn off until the battery was removed.