Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2011, 10:37 AM - 1 Like   #16

Photos: Albums
I probably should stay out of this, but it's never been my style, or I'm a slow learner. I'll try one constructive comment.

I really like this forum. I really like my Pentax gear (k7, k-x, many lenses). I read this forum for information and sometimes ask questions. I usually get a good response or two, or many. I read the lens reviews, and peruse the marketplace. I occasionally PM inquiring about a lens, or gear, and have purchased too. I read the other forum too, but much less lately because of the aggressive personalities.

Personally, I don't have a problem with what some of you call "whiners". I read what they post, and most of the time I 'get' what they are trying to say. Believe it or not, some people just want to interact and feel like they're a part of something... something as great as this forum for example. I usually ignore the inevitable response to the less than flattering posts about Pentax. You know, the response denigrating someone’s opinion. I'm happy with my gear, but that doesn't mean everyone else has to be. I've learned a lot here, and in fact have delayed and probably given up on my desire for a k-5 due to its problems. I'm not saying it's not the best camera out there right now, in fact from what I've read it is the best APS-C, and would venture to say it's probably one of the top five, maybe even three cameras available today. I'm happy with my k7 though, which I'll guess is about 90% as good as the k-5. I’ll just work around the existing issues.

Those inevitable responses to those with legitimate concerns bother me. I don’t read them, unless they’re too short to avoid, or I don’t see the responder’s name quick enough. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I know you’ve heard that before and yes that includes those that respond negatively to the OP or their original criticism. Aggressively attacking someone posting information you may not like or agree with will inevitably result in a decrease in those type of posts, which I believe would be harmful to everyone. Please remember that some people here don’t discover the issues at the same time you do, may not be here on the forum as much as you, and may not be aware that their issue has been ‘covered’.

Please cut the OP's some slack. If you don’t like what they say, don’t read it. I don’t believe anyone here, at least 99% of those here are trying to make you feel stupid for purchasing a k-5. Please don’t try to make them look stupid for expressing an opinion.

I just don’t want to see this forum turn into what I’ve seen other forums turn into.

Bill

01-23-2011, 10:56 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Snydly Quote
I probably should stay out of this, but it's never been my style, or I'm a slow learner. I'll try one constructive comment.

I really like this forum. I really like my Pentax gear (k7, k-x, many lenses). I read this forum for information and sometimes ask questions. I usually get a good response or two, or many. I read the lens reviews, and peruse the marketplace. I occasionally PM inquiring about a lens, or gear, and have purchased too. I read the other forum too, but much less lately because of the aggressive personalities.

Personally, I don't have a problem with what some of you call "whiners". I read what they post, and most of the time I 'get' what they are trying to say. Believe it or not, some people just want to interact and feel like they're a part of something... something as great as this forum for example. I usually ignore the inevitable response to the less than flattering posts about Pentax. You know, the response denigrating someone’s opinion. I'm happy with my gear, but that doesn't mean everyone else has to be. I've learned a lot here, and in fact have delayed and probably given up on my desire for a k-5 due to its problems. I'm not saying it's not the best camera out there right now, in fact from what I've read it is the best APS-C, and would venture to say it's probably one of the top five, maybe even three cameras available today. I'm happy with my k7 though, which I'll guess is about 90% as good as the k-5. I’ll just work around the existing issues.

Those inevitable responses to those with legitimate concerns bother me. I don’t read them, unless they’re too short to avoid, or I don’t see the responder’s name quick enough. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I know you’ve heard that before and yes that includes those that respond negatively to the OP or their original criticism. Aggressively attacking someone posting information you may not like or agree with will inevitably result in a decrease in those type of posts, which I believe would be harmful to everyone. Please remember that some people here don’t discover the issues at the same time you do, may not be here on the forum as much as you, and may not be aware that their issue has been ‘covered’.

Please cut the OP's some slack. If you don’t like what they say, don’t read it. I don’t believe anyone here, at least 99% of those here are trying to make you feel stupid for purchasing a k-5. Please don’t try to make them look stupid for expressing an opinion.

I just don’t want to see this forum turn into what I’ve seen other forums turn into.

Bill
The problem is that legitimate concerns often spiral into indictments of the entire camera. Problems focusing properly under certain conditions grows into, "I can't use my camera at above ISO3200 so why bother" (not true) or "The K-5 can't get anything in focus" (also not true) or "This is just another example of how Pentax autofocus sucks!" (well, kind of true. But the K-5 AF is a mostly great improvement over past efforts)

For example, when Falconeye showed the K-7 had some shutter blur problems under certain conditions (wide angles at f- stop 1/100) this all of a sudden became the de facto explanation for all sorts of blurry shots from people who weren't educated about what the problem actually was. As a fellow K-7 user, I'm sure you know that you have to try pretty hard to actually run into this problem, even though it exists and I'm pretty sure Pentax never solved that problem either. Doesn't make the K-7 a bad camera.

Now you've got this FF problem that has festered so totally out of proportion as to have one thread shut down and another started again to no real positive result. So blowback against threads like this becomes as inevitable as the complaints themselves, even if the intent of the original poster was innocent.

The K-5 is a great camera (the best I've ever owned) with a few flaws, some of which will hopefully be fixed, others likely will not. Personally I believe the K-5's flaws have been blown way out of proportion. This said, it's also OK if you don't want to buy it.
01-23-2011, 11:07 AM   #18
Forum Member

Bill

+1 well said, lets try to keep things friendly around here - I've been following the forums for a few months now and one of the reasons I joined up was because everyone was friendly and supportive to each other.

Anyway, just wanted to say that when things go wrong people tend to talk about it more compared to when things are fine. I had a D7000 for a week or 2 and I personally had no problems with it at all, though i hated the rather flimsy battery door and the ergonomics weren't good for me, so I still think its a good alternative to the k5 if u've really given up on it. That said I decided on getting a K5 because I do lowlight shooting a lot, and the k5 has inbody IS which would help for it and I love the pentax primes and the ergonomics of the k5 are much better than the d7000 IMO.

Finally I should also mention I've not yet received my k5 yet, its on order and shd be with me next week. All these posts about k5 problems have been helpful to me, as a consumer, so I know if my k5 is defective and that I should exchange it for another. Fingers crossed I'll get a good one, and I'll admit I'm pretty worried that I won't, as lowlight shooting is kind of my thing. Not sure what happened at Hoya/Pentax but I'm sure they're gonna work on fixing these issues, they have to in order to maintain their brand image and save face. I can't help feeling bad for them, especially when it seemed like they were on the up again with the k5.

Perhaps you should go down to a store and test a k5 intensively for the lowlight ff issues + stains and buy one which is fine? I think if you get a good one it'll be well worth it in the end. Just my opinion though

Last edited by vincechu; 01-23-2011 at 11:11 AM. Reason: clarifying text
01-23-2011, 11:28 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

This may come as a shock to you, but back in the old days, we used to estimate distance and focus blind using the distance scale. Hell we couldn't even check our results until we got to the darkroom but we figured it out. You can actually get quite good at it with a bit of practice. But then again most of us know how to calculate exposure in our heads too. It's amazing what we used to be able to do, those of us who learned to shoot before built in light meters, adjustable ISO/ASA and auto focus. The only reason you guys aren't learning these skills, is because you want your camera to do it all for you. There was 100 years of photography before auto-focus. And people still took pictures.

I also walked 10 miles to school in snow storms in my pajamas, uphill both ways.

Last edited by normhead; 01-23-2011 at 11:40 AM.
01-23-2011, 11:31 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I just wish someone could prove the fault in my gear which has prevented me from becoming rich and famous and having a photography style in my own name taught at a fancy art and design school. You'd think after 30-40 thousand photos on my hard drive, it would have happened by now.

Jason
01-23-2011, 12:11 PM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dexmus Quote
I have been very excited about k-5 ever since it was announced. Financial reasons made me wait until new year. Now that I am ready, and the stain issue is behind, this Front focus issue is everywhere.
Personally, this issue will be a big hindrance to me. Having used a k-x for a year, I am used to taking low light shots. I have all prime lenses that I usually shoot wide open or just a stop slower. I can't buy the k-5 knowing that it has this issue.

But there is nothing else exciting in the market. I have a D700 so I am even looking at Nikon. And D7000 brings no excitement to me. The built is terrible.

The only thing closest to exciting is X100. If Pentax doesn't fix the FF issue by March, and X100 gets good reviews, I may pull the trigger.

Who else is bummed out by K-5 FF issue? And what alternatives are you looking at? Or what is your strategy, how long will you wait?

cheers,

Abhi
Just my personal thoughts IMHO. I still enjoy my K20D I don't find many limitations I can't work around. I am going on two years now with it, almost 45,000 clicks and not a sign of a problem nor have there been any.

My prior K10D (GX10) had teething problems (crack in the bottom corner plate after time, poor AF many times,...). Samsung one year later replaced it and the newer model GX10 (latter production) was without doubt much better at AF, and just bug and problem free.

I waited and watched the K20D. After almost one year it had a flawless record on the forums. People just did not complain and to the man/women liked it. I went and tried it, then bought it. I was really happy. It provides a reliable, solid shooting experience. I could finally get the battery grip (not available here in the USA for the Samsung GX10) and it was like a new camera altogether; I bought both at the same time so it was very much like going to a new camera! With the GX10, ISO640 was it for my taste. With the K20D ISO1600 is not pushing it. The K20D is IMO two stops better than the K10D. Great resolution even compared to todays offerings....

The K-7 was introduced my first or second post of its IQ noted it had more noise than the K20D (just a tad), as others could see as well. I know thats still debated. Well most know how much Samsung improved the sensor. Many improvements was made to the body. However I decided to skip it and wait for the next K-7. Like the K10D to K20D was my logic, all the problems in the first fixed with the second. And thats pretty much what has happened. The K-5 is more than I expected (its superb DR and low light detail), with all the problems I did not like with the K-7 worked out (shutter blur, better sensor...). During this time mind you I put a lot of shots on my K20D and could even do BIF with it. Its a fine camera for all but a paid pro IMHO, not being one.

Now(?) well I had plans on buying the K-5 when it first came out around Feb or March 2011. However with its price still holding and a couple of bugs I am on hold perhaps until my warranty runs out with the K20D, next Feb 2012. I have as most the 3 year warranty for the K20D and if it does not come with the K-5 will buy it; thats another $100 added to the cost and the battery grip. Those are two must haves for me!

I'm in this for a lifetime, I have a dSLR that I am happy with. Thats my personal situation everyone differs greatly. But since the K-5 was/will be my next I thought I would give my two cents

Last edited by jamesm007; 01-23-2011 at 12:24 PM.
01-23-2011, 12:11 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Defects happen in any industry, particularly when you're talking about items that use parts from Asian sources as Pentax must being in the electronics business. That they are acknowledging that there is an issue and trying to correct it is I would think to their credit, not their detriment.

FYI, I'm in the same boat, sort of. I'm in the process of maybe acquiring a K-x that just went in for repairs. We're all doing the same thing, waiting, waiting, seeing how the repair goes. I'm quite dying of suspense honestly, because of course I covet a K-x like there is no tomorrow, but you know what? I'd much rather wait, agonizing as doing that is, than see that beautiful camera not come back fixed properly.

As for all lenses having the same mount. The whole point of each camera maker having their own is to keep you buying cameras and lenses that are their own. If they can't do that, remain exclusive, then making a profit isn't going to come nearly as easy for them.

It's basic marketing 101. Offer your customer something that they can't get everywhere. Make sure you have other exclusive items to go with, and try to ensure brand loyalty in your customers.

The fact that some camera makers have in the past have crossed that line is nice, but in most cases it hasn't worked out for them. Look at Yashica now. They made beautiful M42 threaded cameras for a while, and now where are they?

Owned by someone else and limited to making crappy little dig cams and cell phones etc, instead of proper DSLR's. Even switching to their own mount didn't really help. In the end they got bought and pretty much died as a camera brand. Too bad, because in their day they made some nice cameras and the lenses they had made for them were often excellent.

No offense, but you're asking for a lot here. Every manufacturer on the planet runs into similar situations from time to time. No matter what the project occasional bad batches of goods will happen. Food gets recalled, toys get recalled, cars and cameras, and other electronics, all that get recalled all the time.

Fact, there's only so many places on the planet that Pentax can go to actually to get their parts made. I'm sure they're very embarrassed about what's happened with some of the K-5's but all they can do is honor their warranties and either fix them or replace them and they are doing that.

I think it's fairly amazing actually that companies like Pentax can even make a few new cameras every 18 months or so given the circumstances and the often dubious quality of the materials they often have to work with. That they can actually make them well usually? Are willing to step up to the plate when mistakes do happen? That says a lot to me about Pentax and their dedication to quality.

I wish I had the $$$ for a new Pentax DSLR. I'd plunk that money down on one with absolutely no hesitation. Watching them handle this situation, knowing that if by chance I did get a dud that Pentax would take care of me? That would make me feel far more secure about their products, not less.

Am I a Pentax cheerleader? You BET. But then again they've always given me reason to be. I have several really old Pentax film cameras. One older than me. They all seemingly work fine. I have a DSLR that's nearly a decade old and though it's not perfect, it's still seemingly hanging in there. I have Pentax lenses that are literally as old as I am and they are in terrific shape and are awesome to use.

What's not to like? Seriously? I'm supposed to not like the whole brand because once in a while they put out camera software that has a few bugs they have to fix or because they get a bad batch of sensors once in a while? Nah, I don't think so. Pentax has earned their customer's loyalty. Don't feel you can trust them? Then maybe you should just sell that camera when it comes back and move on.

Trying to find yourself a camera maker that doesn't have occasional problems with production won't be easy though. Probably won't even happen, because they ALL have had issues. Pentax is no different. What I don't get is why some people expect them to be. It's a bit unrealistic I think.

QuoteOriginally posted by Nomad Quote
Well,

I will continue to "whine" as Pentax has my $1500 and I don't have a camera!!! You go ahead and keep cheerleading for a company that sold you a defective product....I for one and very unhappy with this crap business practice.

I am also unhappy with the entire industry for not standardizing lens mounts but that is a gripe for another day.
01-23-2011, 01:28 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
The problem is that legitimate concerns often spiral into indictments of the entire camera. Problems focusing properly under certain conditions grows into, "I can't use my camera at above ISO3200 so why bother" (not true) or "The K-5 can't get anything in focus" (also not true) or "This is just another example of how Pentax autofocus sucks!" (well, kind of true. But the K-5 AF is a mostly great improvement over past efforts)

For example, when Falconeye showed the K-7 had some shutter blur problems under certain conditions (wide angles at f- stop 1/100) this all of a sudden became the de facto explanation for all sorts of blurry shots from people who weren't educated about what the problem actually was. As a fellow K-7 user, I'm sure you know that you have to try pretty hard to actually run into this problem, even though it exists and I'm pretty sure Pentax never solved that problem either. Doesn't make the K-7 a bad camera.

Now you've got this FF problem that has festered so totally out of proportion as to have one thread shut down and another started again to no real positive result. So blowback against threads like this becomes as inevitable as the complaints themselves, even if the intent of the original poster was innocent.

The K-5 is a great camera (the best I've ever owned) with a few flaws, some of which will hopefully be fixed, others likely will not. Personally I believe the K-5's flaws have been blown way out of proportion. This said, it's also OK if you don't want to buy it.

Urkeldaedalus, thank you for your tactful response.

Agreed. I see your point.

However, I'm just uncomfortable (for others) reading some of the responses some people get. There are better ways to address a poster than to ridicule them. In writing what I did, and too this response, I find myself working too hard to make sure I don't write something someone will attack. It shouldn't be that way. I know the world isn't perfect, and we need thick skin at times, but not here. I'm proud of the people here, and I'm proud of my choice in Pentax. Some of the responses here put this forum and indirectly Pentax and our community in a bad light.

Members like Falk, akfreak and planedriver have been very helpful to me and I it would be a tragedy for them or those like them to leave here because they were uncomfortable with the path the forum is taking.

One more thing and I'll let it go... It's a cliche I know, but it has helped me in life, remember the golden rule...

As to the k7 shutter problem, I've lost a lot of pictures to that unfortunately. Soon after I got my k7 I was confused as to the amount of blurriness I was seeing. I finally figured out that it was the shutter blur. Actually, I didn't figure it out, I read about it here and was able to confirm that was one of my problems (the others were all me). I've been shooting film with manual focus since the 70's, and never encountered anything like this. The way I identify a shutter blur problem from my camera is if I look close enough I see sort of a double image. Over time I've been able to minimize that issue and I couldn't be happier with my k7. Of course I'm very comfortable with manual focus and lower ASA/ISO.

Have fun with your k-5. I probably will get one someday. Like most Pentax users, I don't see myself ever leaving Pentax. I do hope they fix the current issues and give the other brands serious competition.

Bill

01-23-2011, 01:46 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by vincechu Quote
+1 well said, lets try to keep things friendly around here - I've been following the forums for a few months now and one of the reasons I joined up was because everyone was friendly and supportive to each other.

Anyway, just wanted to say that when things go wrong people tend to talk about it more compared to when things are fine. I had a D7000 for a week or 2 and I personally had no problems with it at all, though i hated the rather flimsy battery door and the ergonomics weren't good for me, so I still think its a good alternative to the k5 if u've really given up on it. That said I decided on getting a K5 because I do lowlight shooting a lot, and the k5 has inbody IS which would help for it and I love the pentax primes and the ergonomics of the k5 are much better than the d7000 IMO.

Finally I should also mention I've not yet received my k5 yet, its on order and shd be with me next week. All these posts about k5 problems have been helpful to me, as a consumer, so I know if my k5 is defective and that I should exchange it for another. Fingers crossed I'll get a good one, and I'll admit I'm pretty worried that I won't, as lowlight shooting is kind of my thing. Not sure what happened at Hoya/Pentax but I'm sure they're gonna work on fixing these issues, they have to in order to maintain their brand image and save face. I can't help feeling bad for them, especially when it seemed like they were on the up again with the k5.

Perhaps you should go down to a store and test a k5 intensively for the lowlight ff issues + stains and buy one which is fine? I think if you get a good one it'll be well worth it in the end. Just my opinion though
Thanks Vincechu...

Congrats on your new k5 and here's hoping it's perfect for you.

I probably will get a k5 eventually. I researched for month's before going with Pentax. This forum was a major factor in my decision. Before my k7 I had numerous Sony's (still have them all, no DSLR's though) and was very happy with them too. However, after seeing what some people can do with a digital camera, I'm envious and trying to catch up. Especially Pentax.

My local camera store doesn't carry Pentax DSLR's. They had one k-x and it didn't sell for awhile, so I think they're leery of Pentax DSLR's, although they do carry the compacts. I tried to get them to reconsider, but you know how business is these days. They have plenty of Canon's and Nikon's. It's ok though, as I like being different. It's usually a great way to meet other photographer's as they are frequently curious why someone didn't choose a 'real' camera brand...

Again, good luck with your new camera...

Bill
01-23-2011, 01:52 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mgm2 Quote
Personally I don't shoot in the dark. The expectations for todays camera are unbelievable. A few years back no one would even think of pushing a camera to these limits.
This may be true, but it is a new era, and one of the great selling points of the K-5 is its outstanding high ISO performance, which means that those taking advantage of it will, of necessity, be shooting in dim light. Hence, the importance of accurate focusing in dark settings.

Rob
01-23-2011, 02:39 PM   #26
Site Supporter

Forums really do tend to magnify the negative issues that people have. As others have said, sometimes people with poor photographic skills blame their lack of skill on malfunctioning equipment. I am quite confident both that the issues will be fixed with a firmware update and also, that it wouldn't be a big deal to me, since I seldom shoot under these conditions.

I hope to have money for a K5 when tax refund comes back (as long as no other big expenses come up in the mean time) and am not worried about these issues one iota.
01-23-2011, 02:54 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

I read most everything here, don't have a K5 yet, and am bummed that I can't order without worry that I will get a "Lemon". I have seen very little "Bashing Pentax" here but I have seen a ton of disappointment. To try and attack those that have spent their hard earned money on a camera that does not perform to specifications is absolutely ludicrous and unacceptable in any free society. It is not dissimilar to bashing a victim of cancer because "I don't have it".

People here only want what was specified by Pentax and nothing more. Where credit has been due for the K5 it has been quickly given,even by those on their 3rd, 4th, or 5th cameras. To be unhappy with a proven defect is not the same as being a Pentax Basher.........that would be Ricehigh.......and I have not seem him or his type here.

Frustration is high for many at this time, and venting some of it is both normal and helpful to keep the lid on. If no one will listen and no one cares, why would anyone stay here on this Forum or with Pentax? Where this will lead will depend on Pentax, and their remedy and when it is available. Most like me are sticking with the hope that it will be sooner than later.

Meanwhile, for those that just can't stand the thought of anyone being honestly unhappy with the K5 for justifiable reasons, then just close your eyes and pretend you do not see the Elephant in the room.
Best Regards

BTW- I do intend to buy the X100 as soon as it is available, but it will not affect my K5 purchase when the "All Clear" sign is posted. They are not at all similar, and I may not even like the X100, but it sure looks good!
01-23-2011, 03:06 PM   #28

Ya,I'm bummed out. I really wanted to keep my k-5 but the severe FF issues with simple low light flash photography was a deal breaker for me. I will wait and see what Pentax does about this and maybe buy another K-5 later when the price drops. It really is a shame that Pentax droped the ball on this. Did no one at Pentax try the camera before releasing it to the public, or did they know about the issue but let corporate greed get in the way and released it anyway?
01-23-2011, 03:09 PM   #29

I use AF adjustment and it works. So as soon as I take picturs in tungsten light I enable this feature and the AF works fine ;-)
01-23-2011, 03:45 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Bill
Bill,

Very well said as I feel exactly the same way. I also agree with the subsequent poster that many times these things are spiraled out of proportion and the shutter blur was an excellent example.

To the OP....yeah! I am vexed with the K-5 as I had to return it and yes I found a better alternative for me, my older K-7.....but, the K-5 also has better DR and other advantages, so can't wait for a fix.

Last edited by pcarfan; 01-23-2011 at 05:37 PM.
Closed Thread