Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2011, 11:32 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
betaPhoto, I tested with the focus assist light taped up with gaffer. Camera did rack focus a little but did manage to lock.
OK here's another quick one with the FA 43 at 1/30 sec at f/2, ISO 1600 (EV 3) focused at the Gitzo logo (12mm square). No focus assist light came on.
Looks adequately sharp to me.

Last edited by creampuff; 01-24-2011 at 12:22 PM.
01-24-2011, 11:40 AM   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
The shot you posted as an "experienced shooter" speaks for itself. A common shot in good light is not an example of the problem and even a beginner would recognize that. You may be one of the lucky ones with the hole in the bottom of the ship at the opposite end from where you are sitting, but your apparent need to take aim at those that are all wet is not a good example of sound reasoning.
Regards
Yeah I'm probably a noob as you describe... but at least I got the gumption to get myself a K-5 in spite of the internet chatter. That's sound enuff reasoning in my book.
01-24-2011, 12:16 PM   #78
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Yeah I'm probably a noob as you describe... but at least I got the gumption to get myself a K-5 in spite of the internet chatter. That's sound enuff reasoning in my book.
There is no need to be hostile, this is not about personalities or who is the best or most experienced shooter, it is about a problem shared by many and preventing many others from buying at this point. If you had a problem, I am quite certain you would want others to provide more than hostile words and would look for some comfort that others shared your concerns. If you have no problems, I am certainly glad for you and would not want you to experience anything but happy shooting. Can't we wish the same for everyone?
Regards!
01-24-2011, 12:37 PM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ivor K Ecks Quote
My f2.8 test

[PhotoME]
PhotoME version: 0.79R17 (Build 856)

[Overview]
File name: D:\PHOTOS\PENTAX\K5\New Folder\IMGP0814.JPG
File type: JPEG
File size: 8,481.9*KB
Creation date: 24/01/2011 21:08
Last modification: 24/01/2011 22:12
Make: PENTAX (PENTAX)
Camera: PENTAX K-5
Lens: K or M Lens
Software: K-5 Ver 1.01
Dimension: 4928 x 3264*px*(16.1 MP, 3:2)
Focal length: 70*mm*(equiv. 105*mm)
Aperture: F2.8
Exposure time: 15"
ISO speed rating: 80/20°
Program: Aperture Priority
Metering Mode: Center-weighted average
White Balance: Auto
Focus Mode: AF-S
Image Stabilizer: not ready
Noise Reduction: Off
Flash: Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode

It honestly does look to me like you have a tad of FF there....

01-24-2011, 12:38 PM   #80
Veteran Member

OK Rupert, I got nothing further to say on this thread. We can agree to disagree. Let's move on and keep shooting...
01-24-2011, 12:39 PM   #81
Veteran Member

Just so I'm not talking empty words, this shot was taken two days ago at our Pentax user outing. K-5 with a friend's Sigma 50mm f/1.4 indoors at f1.4 focused on the eye on the right. Uncropped, straight from camera, no AF adjustments done... You know what? I may have had issues buying Sigma lenses in the past due to their QC issues but I'm gonna be buying this lens soon. Those who can't shoot for nuts and wanna blame the camera, who got to vent or go hysterical, or jump ship are at liberty to do so. As for me, I'm just gonna be content enjoying my K-5 even more.
You're just making yourself look completely stupid.

Why post a picture taken at around EV6 or EV7 to prove there's is nothing wrong your K-5 and then insult other photographers who apparently can't shoot for nuts, when you know damn well the FF issue kicks in below EV4?

MY K-5 focusses perfectly at EV6. It even focusses fine at EV4. At EV2 it suffers with extreme FF.

My K20D has no problems at any of the light levels and beyond.
01-24-2011, 12:59 PM   #82
Veteran Member

Well Smeggypants, maybe I'm a dumb assed photographer but I've shot my K-5 at EV2 and EV3 and I don't get the extreme FF that you mention. Maybe I'm fortunate and got a good copy, maybe you got a dud camera that needs recalibration. Who knows? All I know is the K-5 can focus where the K20D would have struggled to even get a focus lock. Shooting at such low light levels using wide apertures, with such thin DOF it is all too easy for focus to be off.

01-24-2011, 01:32 PM   #83
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Let's not get personal

Ladies,

Let's behave. The intent of this thread was not to determine if FF is an issue for your particular camera. It may not be. Or you may not be bothered by it. No problems.

But for those who are now in double minds on whether to buy K-5 or not - it was more for them. As I am in that category, I want to know what will other such people do. It is good to know that there are others as well waiting for the fix. And there is some hope that it is getting worked on.

Other thing on my mind is that if I give in and buy the camera as is, in the midst of both stains issue and FF issue, it will be really difficult to re-sell. I may want to sell the camera after 1.5-2 years. Pentax does not have a huge after market anyways. It can be an ordeal to prove at that point that my camera doesn;t FF or the amount of FF is not bothersome. Everyone reads forums these days. Specially people who go after smaller brands(like Pentax), they always read forums. Everyone is aware of the two issues - regardless of whether it is bothersome to you or not.

cheers,

Abhi
01-24-2011, 01:35 PM   #84
Veteran Member

Well Smeggypants, maybe I'm a dumb assed photographer but I've shot my K-5 at EV2 and EV3 and I don't get the extreme FF that you mention. Maybe I'm fortunate and got a good copy, maybe you got a dud camera that needs recalibration. Who knows? All I know is the K-5 can focus where the K20D would have struggled to even get a focus lock. Shooting at such low light levels using wide apertures, with such thin DOF it is all too easy for focus to be off.
My K20D has been able to focus in very low light levels. Something my K-5 and many other K-5s are unable to do.

All you know is YOUR K-5 can focus where YOUR K20D struggled
01-24-2011, 02:48 PM   #85

QuoteOriginally posted by dexmus Quote
...The intent of this thread was not to determine if FF is an issue for your particular camera. It may not be. Or you may not be bothered by it. No problems.

But for those who are now in double minds on whether to buy K-5 or not - it was more for them. As I am in that category, I want to know what will other such people do. It is good to know that there are others as well waiting for the fix. And there is some hope that it is getting worked on...

cheers, Abhi
If someones K-5 actually performs excellently in low light , I would really like to know! As that answers for me the question of your thread. I'd not be bummed and I'd simply wait for the fix and buy the K-5.

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
...My K20D has been able to focus in very low light levels. Something my K-5 and many other K-5s are unable to do...

All you know is YOUR K-5 can focus where YOUR K20D struggled...
But can "creampuff's" K-5 focus accurately at EV1-4??? If it can, there's hope for all K-5's. Hope is something some of us are lacking because of the worry it may go unfixed. The dreaded can't be fixed idea has come up...

...I've shot my K-5 at EV2 and EV3 and I don't get the extreme FF that you mention. Maybe I'm fortunate and got a good copy, maybe you got a dud camera that needs recalibration. Who knows? All I know is the K-5 can focus where the K20D would have struggled to even get a focus lock....
I really want to know if your copy is good or if the FF is just not showing up clearly in your examples. Good quality tests are helpful for anyone interested in seeing a K-5 perform great under low light conditions. It would show everyone the K-5 can actually perform!

I'd really appreciate it if you'd show more examples at EV 2 (at f2.8, about 3-5 ft distance and without really bright areas in the focus spot). Put the examples in this or one of the other 2 active threads about FF. I want to see the K-5's that work!
01-24-2011, 03:54 PM   #86

Where are the Moderators when you need them?
01-24-2011, 04:04 PM   #87
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
You're just making yourself look completely stupid.

I don't think language of this sort would be tolerated here.....
01-24-2011, 05:28 PM   #88
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by xGene Quote
Where are the Moderators when you need them?
Probably reading post #72.
Don't complain about that which you partake in.
01-24-2011, 05:57 PM   #89
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . . . . .Who else is bummed out by K-5 FF issue? . . . . . . .

Abhi
Nope, since I've yet to devote cash to one, I can hardly be bummed. However, if I were truly "bummed out" about the camera, I wouldn't waste a moment thinking about it further and turn my attention to something else.

. . . . . . .But for those who are now in double minds on whether to buy K-5 or not - it was more for them. As I am in that category, I want to know what will other such people do. . . . . . . .

Abhi
I think I'll order one in a few weeks, as we emerge from the "early adopter's period". I'll test it by shooting the kind of things I normally do; if I don't like it (for whatever reason), I'll return it for a refund, but I'll remain steadfastly "unbummed".

Jer
01-24-2011, 06:14 PM   #90
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
I don't think language of this sort would be tolerated here.....
Yet are you OK with the person I was responding to insulting those who have the low light FF problem by saying ...

Those who can't shoot for nuts and wanna blame the camera, who got to vent or go hysterical, or jump ship are at liberty to do so. As for me, I'm just gonna be content enjoying my K-5 even more.
... ?
Closed Thread