Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-24-2011, 12:38 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
You won't see it fixed if you keep denying that it exists and is a serious problem for many shooters. If you shoot weddings and indoor events, this could be a deal killer, as many have noted. I would like to see more pushing for a repair than I would more lulling into acceptance of a sub standard camera. We saw this with SDM lenses....how did that work out? To this day most buyers are gun shy of SDM lenses, and just how has that benefited users or Pentax? Quality Control will only be as good as users require, and if they don't require a camera to meet the Mfg Specifications, you can bet it won't.
Regards
Sorry but I think you're off base on this. You don't even yet own a K-5 and yet you're making statements that's it's a deal killer if you shoot weddings and indoor events, which from my personal experience has not been an issue at all. And as to your comments on SDM lenses, yes they do fail on occasion but there are also lots of people, myself included, who do use an SDM lens with no issue. Even a number of Nikon users that I know who have experienced problems firsthand with their 18-200mm VR failing don't complain and go hysterical like some Pentax users here.

01-24-2011, 01:06 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And I say +1 to that Creampuff. Spot on.

Sadly, the PF site is becoming more and more a place for people to winge complain and gripe about Pentax equipment.
I say sell up, go buy Canikon or other, and then get onto their Forums and gripe about them.
Picking the eyes out of everything seems to be what floats many contributors' boat, as I see it.
01-24-2011, 01:07 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No FF indoors with my K-5

Just so I'm not talking empty words, this shot was taken two days ago at our Pentax user outing. K-5 with a friend's Sigma 50mm f/1.4 indoors at f1.4 focused on the eye on the right. Uncropped, straight from camera, no AF adjustments done... You know what? I may have had issues buying Sigma lenses in the past due to their QC issues but I'm gonna be buying this lens soon. Those who can't shoot for nuts and wanna blame the camera, who got to vent or go hysterical, or jump ship are at liberty to do so. As for me, I'm just gonna be content enjoying my K-5 even more.

Last edited by creampuff; 01-24-2011 at 02:07 AM.
01-24-2011, 01:11 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Truth in advertising - I don't have a K5 yet, but I really want one, waiting for price.

1 I have been reading a lot of posts on this subject, the last few on DPR. What i've been struck by is there are 4 camps of K5 owners
1. A A number of owners who have not seen the FF problems
1. B Those owners who put the latest firmware on and saw their FF problems disapper
1.C Those owners who sent their cameras in and they came back repaired of the FF problems
1.D Those waiting for more firmware changes

In the last camp, i think the best advice and what i would do is just send the thing in for repair - Pentax seems to be able to fix them.

By the way, i've also read a number of posts by D7000 owners who have experienced a similar problem. The way those cameras are getting repaired is not by firmware but by sending them in.

Because of the success stories in getting them repaired and/or applying existing firmware and/or owners who have not seen the problem at all, i'm not that concerned about it anymore. march is probably my date to buy one. I never wanted to be a first responder for new anything.

best wishes,

01-24-2011, 01:15 AM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Just so I'm not talking empty words, this shot was taken two days ago at our Pentax user outing. K-5 with a friend's Sigma 50mm f/1.4 indoors at f1.4 focused on the right eye. Uncropped, straight from camera, no AF adjustments done...
A shoot made in good light (however well focused) doesn't really add anything to this discussion about focusing in dim light, EV4 or lower.
01-24-2011, 01:35 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zugzwang Quote
Sure,here's a test shot. Target is the photo the girl is holding.

IMGP0912 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

and the parameters of the shot Please...= Fstop, shutter, ISO, Focal length , distance from subject
01-24-2011, 01:52 AM   #52
Veteran Member

One I just took myself, :
. Artificial Light (incandescent)

. K5 camera/DA*50-135 lens (SDM!!!) @ 135mm.
Distance of approx 8 feet.

. 1.5"/F11 iso 800

. No use of Flash

. Camera on Tripod.

. Picture straight from camera with no PP of any sort. And this, I assure you is rather POOR light.

I think that if there is a problem with focus etc, I must be missing something.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
01-24-2011, 02:16 AM   #53
Pentaxian

The light level is about right, but seriously, trying to find a focus problem at f11?
01-24-2011, 02:38 AM   #54

QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
and the parameters of the shot Please...= Fstop, shutter, ISO, Focal length , distance from subject
It's all there above the photo. Actions > view Exif info, or click the linked "Pentax K5" on the right. F2.8,1/100,100 iso,40mm,etc.

I could shot these all night and the focus would be consistently off and I wouldn't even call it low light but rather normal indoor lighting.

The K7 would take some time locking in focus but when it did I knew that they where most likely going to be sharp. My K5 was very quick to focus but unfortunately off the mark considerably every time.

http://flic.kr/p/9cEFWV

Last edited by Zugzwang; 01-24-2011 at 02:51 AM.
01-24-2011, 02:54 AM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
One I just took myself, :
. Artificial Light (incandescent)

. K5 camera/DA*50-135 lens (SDM!!!) @ 135mm.
Distance of approx 8 feet.

. 1.5"/F11 iso 800

. No use of Flash

. Camera on Tripod.

. Picture straight from camera with no PP of any sort. And this, I assure you is rather POOR light.

I think that if there is a problem with focus etc, I must be missing something.
yes you are , the DOF at F11 is to great to show FF..try it a 2.8 or lower
01-24-2011, 02:57 AM   #56
Veteran Member

It's all there above the photo. Actions > view Exif info, or click the linked "Pentax K5" on the right. F2.8,1/100,100 iso,40mm,etc.

I could shot these all night and the focus would be consistently off and I wouldn't even call it low light but rather normal indoor lighting.

The K7 would take some time locking in focus but when it did I knew that they where most likely going to be sharp. My K5 was very quick to focus but unfortunately off the mark considerably every time.

IMGP0912 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
sorry mate I missed that...something is way off with your K5 then..as those EXIF details put you at around EV9...plenty bright enough for my K5 to focus correctly..mine wont miss until around EV4

how far were you from the subject..about a metre ??

EDIT.

I just looked at the image at the flicker site, I see that you had +3 exposure Bias...so at 0 exposure bias that will bring your shutter down to 1/15..at ISO 100 you are shooting in EV 6....still light enough for most K5's to function Ok

Last edited by Tommot1965; 01-24-2011 at 03:12 AM.
01-24-2011, 03:05 AM   #57

sorry mate I missed that...something is way off with your K5 then..as those EXIF details put you at around EV9...plenty bright enough for my K5 to focus correctly..mine wont miss until around EV4

how far were you from the subject..about a metre ??
Yes, a meter is about right.
01-24-2011, 03:17 AM   #58
Veteran Member

Yes, a meter is about right.

that would have given a 70 mm DOF...again mine doesn't miss until about 40 mm DOF at EV 4 or lower

yours might have other errors, rather than the FF that other K5s show
01-24-2011, 03:32 AM   #59

that would have given a 70 mm DOF...again mine doesn't miss until about 40 mm DOF at EV 4 or lower

yours might have other errors, rather than the FF that other K5s show
You may be right. Here is a K7 shot in the same light for a comparison.

IMGP1900 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
01-24-2011, 03:35 AM   #60
Veteran Member

did the af assist light come on with the K7 ?
Closed Thread