Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-22-2011, 08:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is anyone else bummed - what to buy now?

I have been very excited about k-5 ever since it was announced. Financial reasons made me wait until new year. Now that I am ready, and the stain issue is behind, this Front focus issue is everywhere.
Personally, this issue will be a big hindrance to me. Having used a k-x for a year, I am used to taking low light shots. I have all prime lenses that I usually shoot wide open or just a stop slower. I can't buy the k-5 knowing that it has this issue.

But there is nothing else exciting in the market. I have a D700 so I am even looking at Nikon. And D7000 brings no excitement to me. The built is terrible.

The only thing closest to exciting is X100. If Pentax doesn't fix the FF issue by March, and X100 gets good reviews, I may pull the trigger.

Who else is bummed out by K-5 FF issue? And what alternatives are you looking at? Or what is your strategy, how long will you wait?

cheers,

Abhi

01-22-2011, 08:14 PM   #2
Inactive Account

I'm not bummed by that which does not exist for me.

01-22-2011, 08:17 PM   #3

No Problem

Personally I don't shoot in the dark. The expectations for todays camera are unbelievable. A few years back no one would even think of pushing a camera to these limits.
01-22-2011, 08:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mgm2 Quote
Personally I don't shoot in the dark. The expectations for todays camera are unbelievable. A few years back no one would even think of pushing a camera to these limits.
Well, that's the advantage of technology - it constantly redefines limits.

01-22-2011, 08:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I am very bummed.

I am going back down to a k-x and keeping my k10d until both the stain and FF issues are resolved.

I have been researching other options but the D7000 has QC issues and Canon D7 just looks too damn expensive to step into.....guess I will wait for a while.....sigh
01-22-2011, 08:27 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

fwiw.... any focus issues should be correctable thru firmware updates.... but that too is a wait and see proposition from our friends in the ivory towers of pentax...
the stain issue, still is an ongoing problem as many are still receiving affected bodies, and no one, most importantly pentax, does not know lot numbers and serial numbers affected and where in the world they may still be... and to exacerbate the issue, some may be being returned to customers from retailers either with poor inventory control or worse, don't care about anything but the sale itself..... (hopefully in the minority though)...... we can't even get a guarantee from pentax usa (for us in the states) that if we buy directly from them, that we'll receive unblemished k-5's.... and that's a damning indictment imho...............
yes, i, like many others, want to make the next leap to the k-5, (me from my trusted k-x), but are pulling back due to this pox still being a virulent issue.......... really sad for us, but i have no sympathy or pity for pentax/hoya corporate.....
01-22-2011, 08:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I have my $1100 for the x100 all ready... I considered upgrading from kx to k5... but it didn't do enough different things for my style of shooting.

01-22-2011, 09:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dexmus Quote
I have been very excited about k-5 ever since it was announced. Financial reasons made me wait until new year. Now that I am ready, and the stain issue is behind, this Front focus issue is everywhere.
Personally, this issue will be a big hindrance to me. Having used a k-x for a year, I am used to taking low light shots. I have all prime lenses that I usually shoot wide open or just a stop slower. I can't buy the k-5 knowing that it has this issue.

But there is nothing else exciting in the market. I have a D700 so I am even looking at Nikon. And D7000 brings no excitement to me. The built is terrible.

The only thing closest to exciting is X100. If Pentax doesn't fix the FF issue by March, and X100 gets good reviews, I may pull the trigger.

Who else is bummed out by K-5 FF issue? And what alternatives are you looking at? Or what is your strategy, how long will you wait?

cheers,

Abhi
yes I'm not happy about it. I have a K-5 and I shoot in the dark.

However I am still loveing the K-5 and I know that oncethe FF issue is fixed I will be immensely satisfied.

The FF issue is grim. However there are workarounds. The Live View Contrast AF doesn't suffer and focusses spot on. And there's always manual focus.
01-22-2011, 09:37 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm really bummed that this thread got started when there is already a perfectly bad thread going nowhere on this particular topic.
01-22-2011, 09:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I'm really bummed that this thread got started when there is already a perfectly bad thread going nowhere on this particular topic.
I know you are talking about the 'relevant news thread..'. I have never posted in that thread because I have no news to contribute to the resolution. But I have read your posts in that very 'perfectly bad' thread and so I know where you stand on the issue. I am not going to argue with you.

With this thread, I just want to have a discussion with other people who might be waiting for this issue to be fixed before they buy k-5. Because I am curious, as to how long people will wait, what are some other alternatives that they may have.
01-22-2011, 10:15 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I didn't notice any major focus problems with my K-5 when I had it (off at Pentax for stains). Yes, the focus would sometimes be a little off when very dark (too dark to comfortably read in), but nothing one or two attempts at refocus and a little bit of AF micro-adjustment didn't fix (+2-3 for minor backfocus on some of my lenses).

For those who are camparing it to the K-x, I would say there simply is no comparison, because the K-x's AF consistently fails entirely under the exact same conditions that the K-5 barely slowed down in (and would invariably be totally off if a miracle happened and it locked on anything), so the whole thing is moot. This has been made quite apparent to me now that I'm forced to go back to my K-x.

I still consider it one of the best purchases I've ever made, and I can't wait to get mine back.

Last edited by Cannikin; 01-22-2011 at 10:30 PM.
01-22-2011, 10:25 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
stop

cheers,

Abhi

Stop reading all those negative things, I mean, why do we choose to focusing on negative commons? I personally have no problem with any FF on my K-5. Have some faith in Pentax, man.
Well, nothing excite you, sell your D700 and get the D3s, I bet that would get you really excited...
01-22-2011, 10:26 PM   #13
Pentaxian

But there is nothing else exciting in the market. I have a D700 so I am even looking at Nikon.
How tragic. I feel your pain. Without a K-5 I don't know how you're going to shoot in low light or have shallow DOF with only having that D700. Is buying cameras your hobby or actually using them?

Last edited by tuco; 01-22-2011 at 10:34 PM.
01-22-2011, 10:29 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You know, I have to agree with Wheatfield on this.
I guess there's a proportion of you guys who like to speculate and whine, some haven't even got a K-5 and yet are bitching about supposed issues that they haven't even encountered first hand but merely read here on the forums. Well all I can say is if it makes any of you so unhappy or bummed out that it deters you from making a buying decision, then don't buy the K-5. Just keep using your obsolete and discontinued or existing Pentax camera or better still jump ship. Why lose sleep and suffer angst over a mere camera? For every disgruntled Pentax whiner on the internet who threatens to pull the trigger towards other brands, there are a horde of new users who truly love their new Pentax cameras.

Thanks to my stellar local agent, I was one of the earliest to get my K-5 in the world and yes I had a sensor stain but that aside, I never fretted or felt flustered but trust that my local agent would work things out with Pentax Japan. I got my replacement from Japan a day or two before the New Year and I have never been happier. Clean sensor, can't find a focusing issue, and there are plenty of other K-5 who I know who are pleased as punch with their cameras. And trust me, we got plenty of K-5 users in Singapore, so much so that our local agent can't even get enough stock to the local photo stores. Locally, I'm still amazed at the number of new Pentax users in Singapore, so rather than an all doom and gloom outlook for some of you, it is bright and sunny over here...
01-23-2011, 04:47 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
You know, I have to agree with Wheatfield on this.
I guess there's a proportion of you guys who like to speculate and whine, some haven't even got a K-5 and yet are bitching about supposed issues that they haven't even encountered first hand but merely read here on the forums. Well all I can say is if it makes any of you so unhappy or bummed out that it deters you from making a buying decision, then don't buy the K-5. Just keep using your obsolete and discontinued or existing Pentax camera or better still jump ship. Why lose sleep and suffer angst over a mere camera? For every disgruntled Pentax whiner on the internet who threatens to pull the trigger towards other brands, there are a horde of new users who truly love their new Pentax cameras.

Thanks to my stellar local agent, I was one of the earliest to get my K-5 in the world and yes I had a sensor stain but that aside, I never fretted or felt flustered but trust that my local agent would work things out with Pentax Japan. I got my replacement from Japan a day or two before the New Year and I have never been happier. Clean sensor, can't find a focusing issue, and there are plenty of other K-5 who I know who are pleased as punch with their cameras. And trust me, we got plenty of K-5 users in Singapore, so much so that our local agent can't even get enough stock to the local photo stores. Locally, I'm still amazed at the number of new Pentax users in Singapore, so rather than an all doom and gloom outlook for some of you, it is bright and sunny over here...
Well,

I will continue to "whine" as Pentax has my $1500 and I don't have a camera!!! You go ahead and keep cheerleading for a company that sold you a defective product....I for one and very unhappy with this crap business practice.

I am also unhappy with the entire industry for not standardizing lens mounts but that is a gripe for another day.
Closed Thread