Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2011, 06:04 AM   #76
Veteran Member
Zebooka's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Russia, Siberia, Novosibirsk
Posts: 323
QuoteOriginally posted by Hound Tooth Quote
But even a K-x has a built-in flash with variable output.
But if you are using full flash power, then you are in trouble. :ugh:

01-30-2011, 07:07 AM   #77
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Var, South of France
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,071
Now the problem would remain entire if you really want to balance ambient and flash, and freeze action... Only way here is a higher sync speed...

Then you'd maybe be better with a bridge camera, as they can sync as high as 1/4000 (well, my old Fuji S9500 can, anyway). That's the marvel of electronic shutter... I can't understand why DSLRs are not using this, by the way. Especially in Liveview...
01-30-2011, 08:00 AM   #78
Pentaxian
Digitalis's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Adelaide.
Posts: 8,740
QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
I can't understand why DSLRs are not using this, by the way. Especially in Liveview
They are actually using electronic shutters in LV mode. However, they are using rolling shutters not global shutters like P&S cameras are using. There are still some major technical hurdles to overcome with implementing a global shutter in a large sensor the Nikon D70s is a good example of this.

From a technical standpoint a global shutter would superior to leaf shutters but with out any of their drawbacks(low top speed) and be able to synch at any speed providing the strobe is quick enough. With a camera armed with a global shutter my Elinchrom Studio heads (with the regular S tube) a synch speed of 1/2500 th should be feasible, though the radio triggering system could potentially get in the way of that.
01-30-2011, 09:38 AM   #79
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Var, South of France
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,071
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
They are actually using electronic shutters in LV mode. However, they are using rolling shutters not global shutters like P&S cameras are using. There are still some major technical hurdles to overcome with implementing a global shutter in a large sensor the Nikon D70s is a good example of this.

From a technical standpoint a global shutter would superior to leaf shutters but with out any of their drawbacks(low top speed) and be able to synch at any speed providing the strobe is quick enough. With a camera armed with a global shutter my Elinchrom Studio heads (with the regular S tube) a synch speed of 1/2500 th should be feasible, though the radio triggering system could potentially get in the way of that.
Optical slaves are the way to go, then... No perceptible delay with those...

As for the rolling shutter, I think it has more to do with the amount of data to handle each second...

For snatching just one pic, I'm pretty sure they could do it quite easily with the current sensors.

01-30-2011, 01:01 PM   #80
Pentaxian
philbaum's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Port Townsend, Washington State, USA
Posts: 3,659
QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
Well, pentax inexplicably dropped the HSS wireless capabilities of their cameras when they went digital...
That's right : my 10 years old MZ-6 film body is able to do HSS in wireless mode, but my brand new K5 cannot...
I updated my Metz 48 to the latest firmware v1.1. I tried HSS in off camera mode with my K20, and it won't do it either. Not that i've ever needed to do HSS in off-camera mode :-)

It's almost like Pentax decided when they went into the digital age, which features to work on and which not to spend technical labor developing. HSS apparently was a less important feature at the time. Can't say i disagree :-)
01-30-2011, 01:06 PM   #81
Banned




Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Williston, VT
Posts: 268
QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
Now the problem would remain entire if you really want to balance ambient and flash, and freeze action... Only way here is a higher sync speed...
Well... that, or more flashes to light up the rest of the scene.

Or in the immortal words of Roy Scheider in Jaws:

"We're gonna need a bigger flash"
01-30-2011, 01:45 PM   #82
New Member




Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 11
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
You are misunderstanding how focal plane shutters work.
Go back and read point 1 in the post you responded to.
Maybe you are misunderstanding me. To be clear I'm not talking about stopping motion.
If the second curtain covers part of the sensor it's still valuable to be able to flash the scene so that the other part of the frame (in wich you put your subject) gets flashexposed. Makes sense?

edit: If you have lots of wattseconds to fire away this wouldnt be much of an issue thoe
01-30-2011, 03:30 PM   #83
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Var, South of France
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,071
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
It's almost like Pentax decided when they went into the digital age, which features to work on and which not to spend technical labor developing. HSS apparently was a less important feature at the time. Can't say i disagree :-)
It's worse than that, as it was already implemented and working in the MZ-6, MZ-S, *ist and *istD...

So they made a deliberate choice to remove it...

01-30-2011, 04:25 PM   #84
Pentaxian
Digitalis's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Adelaide.
Posts: 8,740
QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
Optical slaves are the way to go, then... No perceptible delay with those...
But they are slower to use and have the range of a thrown elephant, Unless you are using a ringflash, or another external attached to the camera to set them off. No, radio triggers will be able to used for such high speeds they just have the eliminate transmitter latency further. As I said on my LX5 I can use my Elinchrom triggers reliably at 1/1300th, not shabby at all when you consider they are only designed for 1/250th and slower.
01-31-2011, 01:33 PM   #85
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Connecticut, USA
Posts: 873
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Originally posted by jake14mw
The thing I don't understand is, why can't Pentax allow the flash signal to be sent when using higher shutter speeds than 1/180th? How hard is it to add an override to the menu to allow this, and allow us to deal with any black bands that occur? Call it "Override Safe Sych Limit?". It can't be expensive to add this.
First, it would make no difference, since the shutter is moving at a finite speed (1/180th). All you would be getting is an unexposed band, with exactly the same exposure time as you'd get at 1/180th second.
This can be a hard concept to get one's head around, and most people seem to misunderstand it.
Second, they could add the moon to the camera, and all that would happen is there would be more things to go wrong, people would still complain, and they would also be complaining about the extra cost.
Help me with this. I don't understand your statement saying that the shutter is moving at a finite speed of 1/180th of a second? I'm talking about allowing an external flash to fire in manual mode when the shutter speed is 1/250th of a second. My understanding is that I would get a black band at the bottom of the frame in that case. I'm saying let me deal with that in PP, so that I can use 1/250th of a second. If I'm missing something here, I'd like to know about it. Thanks.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, fire, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, pentax k-5, shoe, shutter
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Term limits jeffkrol General Talk 7 11-17-2010 01:31 PM
Marketplace off limits? TourDeForce Site Suggestions and Help 10 07-31-2009 07:24 PM
Theoretical limits... frith Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 3 06-03-2009 06:33 AM
Post Attachment Limits David Site Suggestions and Help 2 12-05-2007 12:28 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:09 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top