Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-25-2011, 03:00 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Zebooka Quote
I was reffering to the fact that Pentax flashes can sync at speeds higher than 1/180.
just about any flash can do that. Though some of the studio strobes that I use, especially the more powerful ones have much slower flash durations as low as 1/850th

01-25-2011, 01:50 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
It is rumored that with upcoming new flashes 1/250 sec would be the new limit.
What upcoming new flashes? I couldn't find anything online about this, nor on the news and rumors forum. This is very applicable information to me considering I am going to purchase a flash in the near future...
01-25-2011, 02:09 PM   #18
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by soppy Quote
What upcoming new flashes? I couldn't find anything online about this, nor on the news and rumors forum. This is very applicable information to me considering I am going to purchase a flash in the near future...
well there where rumors about it before PhotoKina, but didn't heard anything after. So no info on that.
01-25-2011, 02:35 PM   #19

K5 Flash ECT

hello,
Today I had the opportunity to check the K-5, together with wireless pocket wizard and ProPhoto. I must admit that I had trouble getting the flash at all.
Over 1/180s no flash. So I got home, and please turn AF540 and I have a good picture, even at 1 / 8000 s no way to know what works in manual mode, even the picture is well lit. I will tell more of a lot better than 1/160s. I took pictures from the side and actually at 1 / 8000 goes a lot more light from the lamp.
something seems to me that someone just a little too complicated That function. Tomorrow, take a look lamps Bowers on Friday because I have sessions with interiors ladies you know how it goes.
Yours and go flip through manual because unless you go further to explore.
below I send you those photos in attachment both generated from raw in LR at standard setting.
As you can see better light is at 1/8000 sec WOW
Best regards

Attached Images

01-25-2011, 02:59 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 1banger Quote
Ok, so I have figured out that the when using remote triggers, it this case the PCB Sybersync's system, the K-5 will not send a fire signal to the hot shoe if your shutter speed is set to anything over 1/165sec.

This is usable of course, but it would be nice if the K-5 would send a fire signal
to the hot shoe in M mode, no matter what your shutter speed, and let the shooter sort out any shutter lag issues themselves.

I have a 5DMKII and it will send a fire signal up to 1/250sec.
This speed difference lets me blow out more of the ambient light
than a shutter speed of 1/165sec.

Do you think this could be fixed in a firmware update?
the reason the canon 5D sends a trigger signal at 1/250th is because that is the maximum sync speed for that camera.

Pentax will send a triggfer signal at 1/180th because that is the maximum sync speed of the K5.

beyond that speed the shutter begins to close so having a faster trigger is not going to help, as the image will have a dark shadow across about 1/4 of the image.

as for the difference between 1/180 and 1/250 it is about 1/2 a stop, if you need this to change the ratio of highlight to background you still don't have enough and should be using a ND filter or a smaller aperture or a lower ISO

an additional 1/2 of a stop for the ratio of highlight to background will get you nothing of real value
01-25-2011, 07:51 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Yes hotshoe-connected flash can do HSS, but not as off-camera device.
Ron,
Just to set the record straight, i read my manual last night and it says that my K20 should be able to do HSS flash on an off-camera PTTL flash. Mine is a Metz 48 and it is behind in being updated to the latest firmware. Perhaps this bug on my flash has been corrected. I'll check on it, but thanks for trying to help!!!

Phil
01-25-2011, 07:57 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is rumored that with upcoming new flashes 1/250 sec would be the new limit.

this stupid rumour again? why do people thing we need something new in order to synch at 1/250th? The AF540 at 1:1 power can synch at over 1/1,000th why do people think that a newer flash is going to be able to magically enable a faster synch speed. Bear in mind the AF540 is slightly more powerful than nikons flagship flash the SB900.

01-25-2011, 10:17 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Yep, and the popular Metz 48 AF-1 needs 1/125s to employ full power So although your camera can do 1/180 or faster, you can't use it without wasting some of the flash's power.
01-25-2011, 10:40 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Can you use the Metz 58 AF 2 at 1/180 with full power? What is that one's max sync speed compared to the AF540? The Metz was more powerful I thought (and had more options)...
01-26-2011, 01:59 AM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
this stupid rumour again? why do people thing we need something new in order to synch at 1/250th? The AF540 at 1:1 power can synch at over 1/1,000th why do people think that a newer flash is going to be able to magically enable a faster synch speed. Bear in mind the AF540 is slightly more powerful than nikons flagship flash the SB900.
event 1/8000 as on my picture
01-26-2011, 04:14 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PiotrKrochmal Quote
event 1/8000 as on my picture
You are guys talking about HSS.
But we are talking of normal sync.

just about any flash can do that. Though some of the studio strobes that I use, especially the more powerful ones have much slower flash durations as low as 1/850th
Not any. Flash needs time to react and light-up.
01-26-2011, 07:12 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Can you use the Metz 58 AF 2 at 1/180 with full power? What is that one's max sync speed compared to the AF540? The Metz was more powerful I thought (and had more options)...
Read the manual If you don't have it, you can download it from mecablitz: Metz

If I recall correctly, it's also 1/125s for full power.

PS
You get full power out of the flash, but part of it will not reach the sensor/film as the shutter is closing / will be closed during part of that 1/125 sec if you use 1/180 sync speed.
01-26-2011, 09:39 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The reason why the LX5 has such high synch speeds is that it is using a leaf shutter
No...the reason it has high sync speeds is that it's an *electronic* shutter. Same reason the Canon G series works at that speed and Nikon D40/D60.

Ok, so I have figured out that the when using remote triggers, it this case the PCB Sybersync's system, the K-5 will not send a fire signal to the hot shoe if your shutter speed is set to anything over 1/165sec.
If this is for indoor studio use, it shouldn't even matter at all as long as youre studio is dim enough...
Pentax bodies do shut off the sync signal above 1/180 as others have mentioned. Makes zero difference indoors...
01-28-2011, 04:16 AM   #29

Original Poster
Digitalis wrote:

QuoteQuote:
In bright daylight the difference between 1/250th and 1/180th is trivial. The DR of the sensor is greater than the difference between 1/250th and 1/180th so stop complaining.
Stop complaining? If you would have taken the time to read, and fully comprehend my post, instead of trying dazzle with your technical commentary, you would see that my real concern is stopping motion. Not ambient light issues.

So I will continue to question Pentax's wisdom to limit the sync speed at 1/180,
and continue to use Canon or Nikon when I need to accomplish the task at hand.

Whether are not it pleases you.
01-28-2011, 05:59 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Stop complaining? If you would have taken the time to read, and fully comprehend my post, instead of trying dazzle with your technical commentary, you would see that my real concern is stopping motion. Not ambient light issues. So I will continue to question Pentax's wisdom to limit the sync speed at 1/180, and continue to use Canon or Nikon when I need to accomplish the task at hand. Whether are not it pleases you.
I use Canon, Nikon,Leica and Pentax...and I can tell you here and now that as far as this issue is concerned switching manufacturer won't make any difference to the outcome, and in all probability make your problems worse.

When flash is the sole light source used to illuminate a subject, the synch speed has very little to do with freezing motion. Because the illumination from the flash is in some cases thousands of times shorter then the synch speed of any camera.

the only time where the synch speed can become an issue is when long lenses are being hand held, but I consider it poor technique for a photographer to be hand holding a 400mm f/2.8 - sure, it can be done but to get the best results from any telephoto lens the use of a sturdy support is highly recommended.

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
No...the reason it has high sync speeds is that it's an *electronic* shutter. Same reason the Canon G series works at that speed and Nikon D40/D60.
Have you actually watched the shutter of the LX5 in action? It follows exactly the same sequence that a leaf shutter does. All I know is that there is a leaf shutter mechanism in there, and think about it the LX5 is a premium compact, what makes you so sure it wouldn't have a real shutter in it? Also when the sensor's shutter is in use for video recording you can get some pretty bad blooming and streaking effects on bright highlights which are known side effects of the sensor design compromises involved that enable the use of rolling shutters with a CCD sensor....but these artefacts aren't present during still image capture.

Last edited by Digitalis; 01-28-2011 at 06:25 AM.