Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2011, 08:09 AM   #1
Inactive Account

how is the k-5 in regards to highlights clipping?

My k-x is a little highlight clipping monster, I very very often have to accept the clipping or else the rest of my scene is just to dark. And I have to save highlight detail in my PP every time.

How is the k-5 in this regard?

01-24-2011, 06:35 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's got about a stop and a half more dynamic range- check out our review and the tests done by Dx0 mark!

From my experience, this this difference is clearly visible in both very dark and very bright photos.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-24-2011, 07:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's got about a stop and a half more dynamic range- check out our review and the tests done by Dx0 mark!

From my experience, this this difference is clearly visible in both very dark and very bright photos.
Same here. I expected a better resolution in the darks, but I was suprised at how you can recover the bright as well.

I'm well impressed!!
01-25-2011, 02:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Skog Quote
I very very often have to accept the clipping or else the rest of my scene is just to dark. And I have to save highlight detail in my PP every time.
Why don't you just expose for the highlights and bring up the shadows in PP? You have more headroom in the shadows, the K-x is also very good in that.

01-27-2011, 04:18 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With my K200D as a reference I am astounded how much detail is preserved in the overexposed parts of my photo's. With the K200D I had to be rather precise in metering the scene but with this monster I've become a bit more relaxed about that.